RB Tix Falling

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Market for the Rose Bowl was played like a fiddle, nobody can say that didn't happen initially. Any and I mean any reasonable person had to know these tickets wouldn't hold that value. Your telling me that a college bowl game nose bleed was going to hold those prices? No way! Anyone who did its research on past Rose Bowls would have seen that's BS!!

Sounds like that wasn't the case a few years ago when MSU went back for the first time in a long time.

The Market for the Rose Bowl was played like a fiddle, nobody can say that didn't happen initially. Any and I mean any reasonable person had to know these tickets wouldn't hold that value. Your telling me that a college bowl game nose bleed was going to hold those prices? No way! Anyone who did its research on past Rose Bowls would have seen that's BS!!

I actually went back and searched past Rose Bowls, and included those findings in what I was sharing with people....the MSU ticket, first week, was a grand It wound up AVERAGING nearly $700 per ticket. And Prime was working with the Rose Bowl that year, so when they were telling me they had never seen anything like what they were seeing from Iowa fans in that first 24 hours, they were operating from a position of experience with the MSU year, the MSU ticket.

You can only go on the info you have and what people who live and work in this space every day are telling you.

There were some people ticked at me because I had told them they could probably wait until Monday evening to make their decision, as we typically had inventory left at that point in time in past trips (we always had). This year? The Air component was, by and large, gone. And I felt bad about that, too. It was nuts.

So you can Monday Morning QB this all you want. But what I was sharing at the time was factual, and what folks in AND out of Prime, who live in this space, were telling me; unprecedented demand.

The first four days of tix sales, trip sales, etc, the 'spot market' was pushing $1k on the tickets. Then commercial flights out of DSM, CR and nearby were getting sold out.

people in the travel industry, long time vets, were saying they had never seen a market like this one, ever.

Absolutely none of that is refutable.

Nor were the horror stories of the 2010 BCS title game in Glendale, last year's super bowl, etc. None of it fabricated. Those were the things travel industry vets, both affiliated with our trip, as well as others not affiliated with our trip, were telling me. And I passed it along.

The University trips (Alumni) were so concerned with additional availability that they just shut down sales. So did we, for several hours on the first day. It was insane. You typically see companies coming back in, leasing more planes and buying more tickets, and keep selling.

That pretty much stopped after 48 hours in this trip, which I've never seen happen before with an Iowa trip and I have been involved in these things since 2002.

I understand that some people are irritated. I get it. It was making me sick to my stomach that first night and first few days seeing where prices were.

But if you're gonna start tossing around that I was involved in any way shape or form with intentionally fleecing anyone, in anything, in my entire life, then you and I are going to have a problem...because that is ********.

Markets turn all the time. Tickets are a commodity. There is no guarantee of them turning. There is no guarantee of anything related to price in a commodity based market, period. And you're smart enough to know that.

<<And you're smart enough to know that>>

Maybe, maybe not.

My wife works in the travel industry. Her former company was based out of Wisconsin and had been doing Wiscy bowl trips for years. Their first Rose Bowl since the 1999 season was absolutely insane. And they couldn't keep their "dedicated" lines manned adequately enough for the first two weeks. AND, that was the year many Wiscy fans--the "smart", do-it-on-their-own types--got to the game to find out they had bogus/invalid tickets. Fun times, indeed.

There are SEVERAL reasons to book with package/group gigs: reliability; ease of arrangements; consistency; and, most importantly, camraderie.

You get what you pay for, of course. Sure, you can do the "I'm-smarter-than-that" deal. More often than not, you end up lost in Nowhere East L.A. or North Crap-hole Miami, asking a Syrian refugee who looks suspiciously similar to the guy in the latest ISIS propaganda video for directions to a game venue that is probably on his "list". You tailgate in a group of four people, can't understand why you don't see any other Hawk fans, and wind up sharing tailgate food with rodents. Good times.

My wife works in the travel industry. Her former company was based out of Wisconsin and had been doing Wiscy bowl trips for years. Their first Rose Bowl since the 1999 season was absolutely insane. And they couldn't keep their "dedicated" lines manned adequately enough for the first two weeks. AND, that was the year many Wiscy fans--the "smart", do-it-on-their-own types--got to the game to find out they had bogus/invalid tickets. Fun times, indeed.

There are SEVERAL reasons to book with package/group gigs: reliability; ease of arrangements; consistency; and, most importantly, camraderie.

You get what you pay for, of course. Sure, you can do the "I'm-smarter-than-that" deal. More often than not, you end up lost in Nowhere East L.A. or North Crap-hole Miami, asking a Syrian refugee who looks suspiciously similar to the guy in the latest ISIS propaganda video for directions to a game venue that is probably on his "list". You tailgate in a group of four people, can't understand why you don't see any other Hawk fans, and wind up sharing tailgate food with rodents. Good times.

There was no stubhub in 99. There were no travel reviews online you can find in 2 seconds now. Ya. I'll pass on paying a 300% markup when a monkey could put together a less expensive trip by buying from a reputable source, stubhub and doing 2 minutes of research on hotels, ground transfers, parking, etc......

Holy crap I don't want to see any ISIS members. Is it too late to book with Jon?

Bob it's the 21st century son, and getting from Point A to Point B isn't that difficult for most people. Tours are great for a lot of people, I don't happen to be one. For someone like you, that has a difficult time with directions, the ability to plan, and the inability of going out in a small group and creating your own fun they are probably great. The convenience, and the amenities of these packages are great for a lot of people. However, Bob the great stories in life are found off the beaten path and unfortunately you'll never find out, but on a positive note we probably won't cross paths in our journey through life.

I think every single thing in this post is wrong, except for the fact that Wisconsin made a Rose Bowl I guess...

I actually went back and searched past Rose Bowls, and included those findings in what I was sharing with people....the MSU ticket, first week, was a grand It wound up AVERAGING nearly $700 per ticket. And Prime was working with the Rose Bowl that year, so when they were telling me they had never seen anything like what they were seeing from Iowa fans in that first 24 hours, they were operating from a position of experience with the MSU year, the MSU ticket.

You can only go on the info you have and what people who live and work in this space every day are telling you.

There were some people ticked at me because I had told them they could probably wait until Monday evening to make their decision, as we typically had inventory left at that point in time in past trips (we always had). This year? The Air component was, by and large, gone. And I felt bad about that, too. It was nuts.

So you can Monday Morning QB this all you want. But what I was sharing at the time was factual, and what folks in AND out of Prime, who live in this space, were telling me; unprecedented demand.

Jon Miller I'm by no means implying anything or taking a shot at you. I've been guy who has used your sites and only your sites for 15 years or more and feel you have high integrity. Iowa Fans drove that market there! The reality is if people willing to buy, you sell. I've been in Sales and Marketing for 20+ years.

Bob it's the 21st century son, and getting from Point A to Point B isn't that difficult for most people. Tours are great for a lot of people, I don't happen to be one. For someone like you, that has a difficult time with directions, the ability to plan, and the inability of going out in a small group and creating your own fun they are probably great. The convenience, and the amenities of these packages are great for a lot of people. However, Bob the great stories in life are found off the beaten path and unfortunately you'll never find out, but on a positive note we probably won't cross paths in our journey through life.

Dude, I travelled from one end of Madagascar to the other with people a lot cooler than you. Poorer, sure, but a lot cooler. And we didn't need phones, GPS units or Vegas car rentals to pull it off.

Then again, losers use the internet to plan trips and save money. I use it to pass time. Saving money is for suckers who think money actually matters in the grand scheme of things.

<<(B)ut on a positive note we probably won't cross paths on our journey through life>>

Thank God, indeed, for the little things.

There was no stubhub in 99. There were no travel reviews online you can find in 2 seconds now. Ya. I'll pass on paying a 300% markup when a monkey could put together a less expensive trip by buying from a reputable source, stubhub and doing 2 minutes of research on hotels, ground transfers, parking, etc......

<<There was no stubhub in 99>>

Psst. It wasn't IN 1999. It was in the first RB they actually reached AFTER their LAST trip, which had been the 1999 season.

<<There were no travel reviews...>>

But there WERE stupid people who, than as now, actually BELIEVED travel reviews, whether from newspaper or internet.

<<Ya. I'll pass on paying a 300% markup when a monkey could put together a less expensive trip from a reputable source, stubhub and doing 2 minutes of research on hotels, ground transfers, parking, etc......>>

The beauty of capitalism and the free market. But...it DOES beg the question for those (especially) complaining about JDM/HN packages: if folks are so brilliant, why/what made them purchase packages or tix or travel arrangements so quickly in the first place (whether from HN or whomever)? (I'll take this one, Jon) "Fear". Fear of NOT getting to go, fear of prices going UP, or fear of arrangements falling through or being less than ideal.

Some will come out okay, some won't. Most will end up paying exactly what they were WILLING to pay. Or not.

I completely screwed myself. Bought 4 tickets at 450 each, and within 2 days the same tickets were down to about 275 on stubhub. 2 flights cost me about 2 grand flying from Chicago to Burbank. But what the hell...I'm going to the Rose Bowl, and I'm taking my son for his first bowl game experience. Next year we're going to be smart and book travel early and wait until the last minute to get tickets.

On a side note, we already booked 2 rooms in Indy for the B1G champ game. Some of the hotels were already showing no rooms available.

Chicken, booking EVERYTHING late was the way to go on this one I think.

I wasn't even gonna go until 2-3 days ago, now I am doing the same with my son and hardly gonna spend more than 2 grand.

Everyone went bat shat crazy at the beginning, I can only laugh hysterically at the people who dropped 10-15K to make this trip.

But, that's right, you have less worries.... :rolleyes:

As far as Jon goes, he was just offering a product, I don't think he was really fleecing anyone.

However, the people that jumped all over that crazy crap early, well, were stupid, or just have so much stinking money it doesn't matter.

Like Jon does now....

I'm not one of those.

You do realize that many of the tickets now being posted on StubHub and other sites are FRAUDULENT. Please wake up!

Sorry that's crazy talk. Sure there are fraudulent tickets that make it in, but no way in hell the majority are. I buy from Stubhub all the time and I've never bought a fraudulent ticket.

The cost is getting driven down buy the cost to get there, which I anticipated would be the case. I found it crazy the amount of money folks where spending for tickets. I don't care how much money I make no way would I ever drop 1k or more for 1 college football ticket, or 700$ for nosebleed seriously that's just crazy to me. I have the means to do it but wouldn't.

Last edited:
You do realize that many of the tickets now being posted on StubHub and other sites are FRAUDULENT. Please wake up!

Even if that were true - which it isn't - StubHub has a 100% guarantee. I've bought dozens of tickets from them with nary a problem, and you can check user reviews also.

Please stop spreading nonsense.

Even if that were true - which it isn't - StubHub has a 100% guarantee. I've bought dozens of tickets from them with nary a problem, and you can check user reviews also.

Please stop spreading nonsense.

This.

You pay a fee, but it's the safest place in the market (next to the original ticket office) to buy and sell. They verify everything

waiting on game tickets was the right move, I really doubt a lot of tickets moved on secondary market for $700+. I was hopeful to get my university allocation filled, so I waited. My request was filled at the $150 level, now it looks like for a few dollars more I could really get good seats.

Air and hotel is a different animal in my eyes, so I booked early--early enough to get a get great flight, great hotel, great ground transport. Sure the trip is expensive, but so is almost any earthly pursuit worth a damn in life.

waiting on game tickets was the right move, I really doubt a lot of tickets moved on secondary market for $700+. I was hopeful to get my university allocation filled, so I waited. My request was filled at the $150 level, now it looks like for a few dollars more I could really get good seats.

Air and hotel is a different animal in my eyes, so I booked early--early enough to get a get great flight, great hotel, great ground transport. Sure the trip is expensive, but so is almost any earthly pursuit worth a damn in life.

I like your handle and I bet Drew Ott would too. ANF, respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts