RB situation

I'm not going to take a shot at your opinion but from my standpoint all I can say is "who cares"? We have three very capable backs and arguing which one is better is a moot point right now. I have faith that no matter who emerges #1 they will be a stud, whether it be ARob, Wegher, Hampton, or other...

I pretty much feel the same. Bottom line is that we have 3 proven quality backs. They all 3 need carries. It doesn't really matter who starts as long as they all play. If their isn't enough time for them all how about 2 RB sets or putting BW in the slot or in for goalline situations to go over the top.
The only dissagreement I have for the original post is that BW is a better blocker than A Rob. BW did a fantastic job blocking. He is phyiscal enough to block some big boys AND he can actually sustain blocks. He can do more than just cut guys and chip block.
It is a fun topic of discussion sense we all know that all three of these guys are good. We are also all cautiously hopefull that we have some other very talented RB's on the roster. One final thing to keep in mind is that (I believe; correct me if I'm wrong) BW is practicing this spring while A Rob is not.

Lets us not forget about incoming freshman Marcus Coker. Coker is believed to have as much if not more than all three of the rb's ahead of him on the depth chart. The kid has so much talent that I doubt he is redshirted. So all in all, we have 4 great rb's and we very well could be the deepest at the postion in the big ten and quite possibly the ncaa.

I just got the 2008 season DVD, and watching it reminded me of how good Jewel looked. Health permitting, I still think he's the most likely one to emerge as #1 next year. But really, the things that decide who will be #1 are all in the future. What does each guy do to develop in the spring, summer, and fall? Mainly, I just hope they all get/stay healthy. Then we can hit opposing defenses with a lot of fresh legs in the 4th quarter.

jewell is the best and it is not really that close. Wait and see. Go look at the old tapes---he would have had a Greene kind of year if he had started that year.

That's a little misguided, I think. Hampton had great success in 2008, but teams weren't gameplanning to stop him, and Greene did more than soften up defenses, he pulverized them into submission, thereby making it possible for just about any back to have success late in games. I'm not saying Hampton is an average back. I'm just saying that basing our predictions off of what he did in 2008 is a little off, because as I said, those numbers were affected by Greene's pressence.

That's a little misguided, I think. Hampton had great success in 2008, but teams weren't gameplanning to stop him, and Greene did more than soften up defenses, he pulverized them into submission, thereby making it possible for just about any back to have success late in games. I'm not saying Hampton is an average back. I'm just saying that basing our predictions off of what he did in 2008 is a little off, because as I said, those numbers were affected by Greene's pressence.

+1 I dont understand why more people dont realize this.

According to Rob Howe today on KXNO, Brandon Wegher is looking really, really, really good. I think he used 3 really's. So look for Wegher to possibly be the guy going into the fall

Good sign but it might not be to hard to look really really really good when he's the one taking most of the snaps... just sayin.

I think it's a tough comparison. The two of them were used in different packages and different situations. They each have strengths and weaknesses. AR was a little shiftier and tougher to bring down. BW showed he had great hands and could be used as WR out of the backfield. Adam showed more confidence than Wegher, which should come as no surprise having one more year of experience. I thought Wegher, especially early on, was running with intentions of not screwing up. As the year went on, you could see him gaining some of that same confidence AR had.

They both ran well to the left. AR was able to run a little better to the right I thought. I can't form a real opinion on who was the better blocker, but it seems I remember Wegher being pretty scrappy in this category as well. Both RB's were hurt on and off throughout the season with AR suffering the worst of it. It's hard saying how much of a factor injury played on the performance of either back on the season.

I'll just say, it would be a disservice to either back to speak with any sort of negativity in regards to their performances last year. I think it's going to be a great battle this summer, and as Hawk fans, we all know you can never have enough RB's. I'd love for them all to remain healthy and compete to see who's the best. And I'd love to see a few formations with Wegher in the slot.

I still think when all is said and done they will/should try to get BW more touches out in space. Whether that's screen passes, lining up in the slot, flare outs, end arounds, etc. I think that's where he could be the most dangerous.

In 2008, opposing coaches knew that our OL was very good and our passing game was very mediocre and inconsistent. They may have been game planning for Greene, but that doesn't mean that whenever Hampton took the field they suddenly started keying on the pass. Jewel scored two TDs in the opener against Maine and broke double digit runs in eight different games. That gave opposing DCs plenty of evidence that JH was a very capable backup on an obviously run-oriented offense (515 rushing plays versus 320 passing plays).

Also Hampton wasn't just a "mop up duty" back-up. He got 1st quarter carries (including 2 TDs) in every BigTen game except PSU (accumulated no stats) and Minny (had 5 carries in the 2nd quarter, all before Amari's pick six put the game out of reach). When he WAS doing mop up duty in our blowout wins he was doing it, naturally, behind a backup OL. So I don't think his '08 success was inflated by overly favorable circumstances.

The main reason I like what I saw from him in '08 is the combination of skills he showed while running. At times he looked like Shonn Greene, Jr., with a nice combination of power, balance, vision, and breakaway speed.

If "Tank" fully recovers from his knee injury, then my guess is that he will win the #1 spot, but AR and BW will both still get significant carries. But as I said before, it's what all three of these guys do right now and in the coming months that will determine the outcome. Any one of the three could make great strides and seize the spot. What I hope most of all is that all of them keep developing so that our inexperienced OL can benefit from having a six-legged monster carrying the ball behind them.

It has been mentioned before but bears repeating: what a great dilemma to have, considering how depleted the ranks of RB have become in past seasons.

jewell is the best and it is not really that close. Wait and see. Go look at the old tapes---he would have had a Greene kind of year if he had started that year.

You've never torn your ACL, have you? Some guys can bounce back from it just fine, some are never the same.

I don't think there's too many teams in the Big 10 this year that Wegher would start on. I don't think he'll get that many carries this year.

I don't think there's too many teams in the Big 10 this year that Wegher would start on. I don't think he'll get that many carries this year.

Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota, maybe Michigan State, possibly Michigan. Probably not Illinois. Definitely not for Wisconsin, Ohio State, or Penn State.

Hampton is going to have his earn his spot, just like Robinson or Wegher. There are no guarantees, especially coming off a knee injury.

I predict by kick off in the fall, hampton will be the number 1 back.
probably arob number 2.

weigher will place somewhere on the field. could be at number 3, or specail teams, certian passing situations. i see him as a tim dwight type player. find a way to get him touches. and all purpose type back.

Lets us not forget about incoming freshman Marcus Coker. Coker is believed to have as much if not more than all three of the rb's ahead of him on the depth chart. The kid has so much talent that I doubt he is redshirted. So all in all, we have 4 great rb's and we very well could be the deepest at the postion in the big ten and quite possibly the ncaa.

I heard, that coker is a shonn greene type back. Only better.

Or does he have so much talent you redshirt him so he has an extra year to get stronger and become a huge threat down the road? I think Kirk would go this route. Kirk builds a program, he's not a gambler, so he won't put a true freshman in there to be injured if he doesn't have to. And with this depth, he probably doesn't have to. Besides, if Coker is that good, then he is Kirk's ace in the hole.

Or does he have so much talent you redshirt him so he has an extra year to get stronger and become a huge threat down the road? I think Kirk would go this route. Kirk builds a program, he's not a gambler, so he won't put a true freshman in there to be injured if he doesn't have to. And with this depth, he probably doesn't have to. Besides, if Coker is that good, then he is Kirk's ace in the hole.

Just like they kept Greene waiting behind AY and Sims...Coker will get his chance, and when he does, hope he's ready to dominate like Shonn.

Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota, maybe Michigan State, possibly Michigan. Probably not Illinois. Definitely not for Wisconsin, Ohio State, or Penn State.

Do some research. There's no way he'd start at Indiana. Maybe Michigan St? Possibly Michigan? Please...

I don't think he'd start anywhere in the Big 10. I said "not too many" just to be nice.

Now, if he was a slot WR I think he'd start on numerous teams.

I guess that means that our running backs (specifically BW) just aren't that good. Because if you're saying that BW couldn't start for any other Big 10 team (not even close) we're in big trouble. He will get considerable carries this yr. even though he might not be the starter.

I guess that means that our running backs (specifically BW) just aren't that good. Because if you're saying that BW couldn't start for any other Big 10 team (not even close) we're in big trouble. He will get considerable carries this yr. even though he might not be the starter.

I didn't say (not even close). And no we're not in trouble because we have two other RB's who would start at many other Big 10 schools in my opinion.

Latest posts