RB situation

i seem to remember our o-line struggling against uni, getting dominated by wisconsin, i remember the posts on this site i read during the game. wegher fell forward all the time. but then again that goes back to doyle and having a year to get in the system to get stronger. and since he is not good enough to start or play for any other big ten what was penn state and minnesota thinking when they offered him ?????

I was saying he wasnt going to START for EVERY school. He may be able to play at PSU, but he wont START over Royster or Green.

I'm excited to see all of them. In terms of YAC, I was impressed with A Rob last year. He keeps his shoulders square, has good balance, and gets positive yards. That matters in B10 play.

Having said that, I'll be really excited to see Hampton. If healthy, his speed is impressive. Wegher can make big plays.

Hopefully, the O line progresses. If they do, it could be a good year.

Wegher is going to be better this year. No matter how strong a HS kid is, give him one year in a college strength program and he will be much better. He will be breaking tackles this year plus he will gain a little more speed and quickness under Doyle. Could be a nice run for our running backs over the next few years.

Anyone think we will ever see the YAC that Greene had, again or in the next ten years? I would love it. It would be awesome, if Coker is developed to that caliber, as an "ace in the hole" as previously stated. Can't wait to watch the running game this year. Someone mentioned a "position change rumor" once upon a time, involving Wegher...I think it's awesome to imagine him in a slot/multipurpose role, lots of neat possibilities there. He's a real treat on goal-line situations too. He needed to be used in those scenarios more often last year.

Plus what people have to realize is that Wegher worked his *** off in high school. I don't think he has as much upside.

Our offensive line was just ridiculous last year, one of the best in the nation. Too often I saw Wegher not making people miss in the hole, not getting YAC, not running near as hard as Robinson.

When you go untouched running full speed and the safety tackles you about everytime 5 yards past the line of scrimmage the O-line did it's job. Outside of the Orange Bowl, Wegher was mediocre in my opinion. Mediocre might be an overstatement.

His huge runs in the Orange bowl were also great blocking. He got the ball and ran straight not having to change direction at all. It was a nice showcase of speed though.

Another thing is he fumbles more than I would like to see.
You, sir, are wrong. BW was fresh out of HS last year in a new system. His #1 priority was ball security, which he did an outstanding job of. That and the fact he was getting used to zone blocking combined to make it look as if he wasn't as explosive as he is. He will loosen up this year and know the system much better, so watch out!
The fact that you posted that he had too many fumbles illustrates how dumb your analysis is. It isn't that hard to look up stats, so before badmouthing a player for fumbling too much you should really look it up. That's the difference between a good quality, interesting post (which is why we all read this) and just some ******* spewing out random thoughts.
Thanks.

Last edited:
You, sir, are wrong. BW was fresh out of HS last year in a new system. His #1 priority was ball security, which he did an outstanding job of. That and the fact he was getting used to zone blocking combined to make it look as if he wasn't as explosive as he is. He will loosen up this year and know the system much better, so watch out!
The fact that you posted that he had too many fumbles illustrates how dumb your analysis is. It isn't that hard to look up stats, so before badmouthing a player for fumbling too much you should really look it up. That's the difference between a good quality, interesting post (which is why we all read this) and just some ******* spewing out random thoughts.
Thanks.

Well I said this earlier in the thread, but one fumble is too many, right? ;)

Really, while one is TECHNICALLY more than we like to see, it's pretty remarkable that he only lost the football once all year as a true freshman in the Big Ten.

Well I said this earlier in the thread, but one fumble is too many, right? ;)

Really, while one is TECHNICALLY more than we like to see, it's pretty remarkable that he only lost the football once all year as a true freshman in the Big Ten.
Didn't mean to steal your thunder, just expanding on what you said. Yes that is remarkable, especially for a smaller sized back that took some big hits. He often had 2 hands on the ball because it was such a priority for him. He saw Paki fumble once and then not play the rest of the season (basically) and didn't want a similar fate!

Thanks.

Agreed.

On a slightly different note, there was an article on hawkcentral that talked about the top three backs being dinged so Rogers is running first team and Jason White is running second string.

What about Paki?

"how about 2 RB sets or putting BW in the slot "

KOK will NOT abandon the FB on regular yardage situations in the "Iowa system". Changing the o-line blocking assignments & the quarterback pre-snap audibles, just to get two of our 3 outstanding i-backs on the field at the same time in a "pro style split-back set" makes no sense. "We are what we are" and our staff does an outstanding job of coaching the "Iowa system".

We're not talking about having Eric Dickerson and Hershel Walker on the team. We are talking about three great Big-10 quality i-backs, with above average speed, great balance and vision on our team.

Rotating them by series or first downs, based on the way the game is going, and who is tires or dinged-up is the way to go. I feel we'll see some huge fourth quarter bursts by all three of them, at some point, in EACH game we play all year. A rested i-back against a tired defense in the fourth quarter makes me salivate.

Latest posts