Purdue.....

JHHawk

is almost a must win as Jon has written.

Last nite at Michigan,Purdue hung tough for about 28 minutes,leading for much of the game.
Iowa was blown out by 30+ at Michigan.
Purdue is as young as Iowa with 3 frosh starting(Ronnie Johnson,AJ Hammonds,Rapheal Davis) along with Sophmore Terone Johnson,and senior Byrd.
They are clearly getting better thru the season,as they had won 3 in a row going into last nites game.
Iowa goes over to Mackey Arena on Sunday,in a dividing line game with Purdue. Right now,they are ahead of Iowa in the standings,and a win over the Hawks would cement their status above Iowa. An Iowa win would propel the Hawks past Purdue, as Iowa's schedule is easier the rest of the way,and Purdue comes to Carver later in the season.

Byrd is the best shooter from the arc on either team. If he goes off, Iowa is in trouble.
Davis has been a growing positive for the Boilers since being placed in the starting lineup 4 games ago.
Hammonds is like Woody,a seven ft frosh,but has put up much better numbers than Woody. He has more bulk and strength than Woody,so should be an interesting matchup.
The Johnson brothers are quick slashers who struggle a bit from the arc,but will beat Iowa off the dribble.

I do not like Iowa's chances at Mackey because it is a very tough place to win,and they are the kind of quick athletic defensive team that will give Iowa fits.

Sadly, Purdue 64 Iowa 59.

is almost a must win as Jon has written.

Last nite at Michigan,Purdue hung tough for about 28 minutes,leading for much of the game.
Iowa was blown out by 30+ at Michigan.
Purdue is as young as Iowa with 3 frosh starting(Ronnie Johnson,AJ Hammonds,Rapheal Davis) along with Sophmore Terone Johnson,and senior Byrd.
They are clearly getting better thru the season,as they had won 3 in a row going into last nites game.
Iowa goes over to Mackey Arena on Sunday,in a dividing line game with Purdue. Right now,they are ahead of Iowa in the standings,and a win over the Hawks would cement their status above Iowa. An Iowa win would propel the Hawks past Purdue, as Iowa's schedule is easier the rest of the way,and Purdue comes to Carver later in the season.

Byrd is the best shooter from the arc on either team. If he goes off, Iowa is in trouble.
Davis has been a growing positive for the Boilers since being placed in the starting lineup 4 games ago.
Hammonds is like Woody,a seven ft frosh,but has put up much better numbers than Woody. He has more bulk and strength than Woody,so should be an interesting matchup.
The Johnson brothers are quick slashers who struggle a bit from the arc,but will beat Iowa off the dribble.

I do not like Iowa's chances at Mackey because it is a very tough place to win,and they are the kind of quick athletic defensive team that will give Iowa fits.

Sadly, Purdue 64 Iowa 59.

Slow down there. 1. You make it sound like Iowa was down by 30+ from the opening tip @ Michigan. 2. Iowa is getting better as well. 3. Purdue beat Penn St, Nebraska, and WVU. Not exactly murderer's row. 4. You sound like a closet Purdue fan.

Not a must win at all.

In terms of getting to 9-9, maybe not. But this game, and the one in Madison are the two road games Iowa might win, with this one being more likely. They need a quality win on the road, IMO. You can't just sort of protect home court and beat NW on the road and expect a good resume.

My current hope is that they win at least one more road game and then win out at home. That way we'd be 9-9 and, in my opinion, dancing.

Though that would mean a loss either at Penn State or Nebraska, but wins over Illinois and Minnesota and I'm not completely sure those two wins cancel out a bad loss. I'm kind of banking on a bad bubble.

I still don't buy the "They need a quality road win" argument.

They've got one road win right now, period. And Northwestern isn't impressive at all. They've got two more that they should get (Penn State and Nebraska). Then two toss ups (Wisky and Purdue), and then two that are...just no (Indy and Minnesota).

You typically have to do something besides lose on the road, especially if you're a team on the bubble, which Iowa is more likely to be. We're 1-3 right now, 1-4 if you count WSU. If they don't sweep Purdue and Wisconsin, they'll finish below .500 on the road. If they lose to them both, they'll likely finish 3-7 on the road with only wins against garbage teams.

9-9 won't get them in unless they have more quality wins, and they don't have many opportunities left for that, especially at home. They have to start beating people away from Carver, and this is their best chance to do that.

A quick skim of bubble teams from last year, I'm really not seeming much backing of this theory. I saw a couple who's best road win was over an NIT team, which is pretty similar to our win over Northwestern.

I didn't research this much though.

Last edited:
I still don't buy the "They need a quality road win" argument.

You don't necessarily need a quality road win to make the dance, however, getting one would greatly improve one's chances. In order to make the dance without a quality road win would be to either win the conference tournament or take care of business at home. Iowa has yet to do either, taking down Wiscy was a good start. If Iowa wins out at home, worst case they would be 19-12 and 8-10 in conference play. That won't be enough for an at large IMO. Win one in the conference tournament and maybe get in but probably would need two.

You don't necessarily need a quality road win to make the dance, however, getting one would greatly improve one's chances. In order to make the dance without a quality road win would be to either win the conference tournament or take care of business at home. Iowa has yet to do either, taking down Wiscy was a good start. If Iowa wins out at home, worst case they would be 19-12 and 8-8 in conference play. That won't be enough for an at large IMO. Win one in the conference tournament and maybe but probably would need two.

They play 18 conference games.

They could win two non-quality road games and win out at home and finish 10-8. They'd be in in that scenario, thus canceling out the need for a quality road win.

A quick skim of bubble teams from last year, I'm really much backing of this theory. I saw a couple who's best road win was over an NIT team, which is pretty similar to our win over Northwestern.

I didn't research this much though.

If we don't pick up a quality win on the road, we're betting an awful lot of chips on beating Minnesota in Carver. I don't think Illinois will be a quality win by the time we see them, as they're 2-4 right now and start a brutal 5-game stretch on Sunday.

This is why a lot of people said all along that they needed to steal at least one of these early games against the ranked teams. There aren't many chances to impress down the stretch, and Iowa can't afford to blow them when they have them. This is one of those chances.

Purdue is going to be tough, but so can we. If we can stop Byrd who seems to have good games against the Hawks, like we did Indiana's Jordan Hulls, we can win.....

Last season we had no inside defensive presence and were killed late in the game by drives down the middle. This is a game that Woody and Gabe could be the deciding factors.....

a) Not a must-win.
b) Purdue very beatable. And I think Iowa will 70-65.

Last edited:
Maybe this isn't a true must-win, but the more of these faux-must-wins they lose, the more Minnesota becomes a must-win. If that happens, we've put ourselves in a pretty poor position.

They can get quality wins without beating Minnesota. Fail to get those more winnable games, and you have to beat a top-15 team to have any realistic chance of dancing.

I also don't think 9-9 is good enough without beating anybody. They can get to 9-9 and beat Purdue in Carver, but then lose all the other quality win chances. That leaves them at 20-11 with 3 quality wins (ISU, Wisconsin, Purdue) and nothing eye-popping.

Last edited:
I agree it's not a must win but beating Minny and Illinois at home won't be easy which they will have to do if they don't start winning some on the road to have any chance of making the dance.

Last edited:
They've got one road win right now, period. And Northwestern isn't impressive at all. They've got two more that they should get (Penn State and Nebraska). Then two toss ups (Wisky and Purdue), and then two that are...just no (Indy and Minnesota).

You typically have to do something besides lose on the road, especially if you're a team on the bubble, which Iowa is more likely to be. We're 1-3 right now, 1-4 if you count WSU. If they don't sweep Purdue and Wisconsin, they'll finish below .500 on the road. If they lose to them both, they'll likely finish 3-7 on the road with only wins against garbage teams.

9-9 won't get them in unless they have more quality wins, and they don't have many opportunities left for that, especially at home. They have to start beating people away from Carver, and this is their best chance to do that.

I think you are over estimating the quality of bubble teams Iowa would be competing against and 9-9 in the best conference trumps pretty much anything bubbles teams the past few years have accomplished.

Latest posts