Purdue.....

Split Purdue, Minny, Wisconsin and Illinois.
Win PSU (2), Nebby(2), NW.
Puts us at 10-8 and in. 9-9 will probably be good enough in this league, might need to win first BTT game.

I think you are over estimating the quality of bubble teams Iowa would be competing against and 9-9 in the best conference trumps pretty much anything bubbles teams the past few years have accomplished.

Right now Id take 9th & 10th place Iowa & Illinois over 5th and 6th Place ISU & Okie St.

Byrd has been a very inconsistent shooter all year, but is currently hitting his threes at a 36% clip. He takes more than twice as many threes as any other player on the team. We need to shut him down early and get into his head.

If we're going to count WSU as a road loss...

They've got one road win right now, period. And Northwestern isn't impressive at all. They've got two more that they should get (Penn State and Nebraska). Then two toss ups (Wisky and Purdue), and then two that are...just no (Indy and Minnesota).

You typically have to do something besides lose on the road, especially if you're a team on the bubble, which Iowa is more likely to be. We're 1-3 right now, 1-4 if you count WSU. If they don't sweep Purdue and Wisconsin, they'll finish below .500 on the road. If they lose to them both, they'll likely finish 3-7 on the road with only wins against garbage teams.

9-9 won't get them in unless they have more quality wins, and they don't have many opportunities left for that, especially at home. They have to start beating people away from Carver, and this is their best chance to do that.

then you have to include the neutral court wins over UNI and Western Kentucky as well. Iowa's road/neutral court record as of now I have at 3-4 (wins over Northwestern, Western Kentucky, UNI, and losses to VTech, WSU, Michigan, Ohio State). If Iowa could manage to get Purdue, Nebraska, Penn State on the road, plus one on a neutral court BTT game, that would be 7 road/neutral court wins, which would possibly/likely be enough to get in the tournament, especially if Iowa manages to knock off Illinois and/or Minnesota at home.

The other teams on the bubble will not have large amounts of road wins either.

I wouldn't classify Purdue as a must win, but the road to a top 7 or 6 finish in the league would be much more doable if Iowa wins this game.

I kind of agree with everybody here. No one game is a must-win in itself, but tm3308 is right in that the more close games we lose, the more we have to pull of a real stunner to make the tourney. That said, I'm taking it one game at a time with these guys. I mean, we're talking about a program that went 11-20 two years ago while beating MSU by 20 and also the no. 6 team in the land, and went to the postseason last year after losing to Campbell, Penn State, and Nebraska. I wouldn't pencil in any Ws or Ls yet, except maybe @Indiana.

Go Hawks. Beat Purdue.

If Bucknell, Villanova, oregon state, xavier, Eastern Michigan can beat Purdue..... certainly Iowa should if they have NCAA hopes.

I really think Iowa pounds the crap out of them today.

If Bucknell, Villanova, oregon state, xavier, Eastern Michigan can beat Purdue..... certainly Iowa should if they have NCAA hopes.

I really think Iowa pounds the crap out of them today.

First of all a couple of those teams are pretty good, Villanova has knocked off top 5 teams in back to back games. But most importantly is how well they are playing now that is most important, not non conference games. Add in that they have a pretty good coach and I think this is going to be a big challenge for Iowa being on the road.

It'll be an interesting game. I can see it going both ways - much like most games this season.

They've got one road win right now, period. And Northwestern isn't impressive at all. They've got two more that they should get (Penn State and Nebraska). Then two toss ups (Wisky and Purdue), and then two that are...just no (Indy and Minnesota).

You typically have to do something besides lose on the road, especially if you're a team on the bubble, which Iowa is more likely to be. We're 1-3 right now, 1-4 if you count WSU. If they don't sweep Purdue and Wisconsin, they'll finish below .500 on the road. If they lose to them both, they'll likely finish 3-7 on the road with only wins against garbage teams.

9-9 won't get them in unless they have more quality wins, and they don't have many opportunities left for that, especially at home. They have to start beating people away from Carver, and this is their best chance to do that.

I disagree, I think 9-9 will get them in. I think the selection committee will take a 9-9 Big Ten team with 20 or 21 wins overall before a 10-8 or an 11-7 team from the Big 12, SEC or PAC 12 also with 21 or 22 wins.

I disagree, I think 9-9 will get them in. I think the selection committee will take a 9-9 Big Ten team with 20 or 21 wins overall before a 10-8 or an 11-7 team from the Big 12, SEC or PAC 12 also with 21 or 22 wins.

Not if their RPI is lower and they don't have any victories over the top 50 among other things.

Winning this game will be the difference of us being in 7th or 10th place in the conference today. That alone makes it a must win game.

Latest posts