PTL Draft

I like Cougs. It is fine if he isn't the most athletic guy out there, but at the center position that can be made up for and some by being a smart player, with position and footwork on both ends of the floor. There isn't as much room to work down on the block as there is on the perimeter and there is more help so being in the right place at the right time is actually more important than athleticism. For instance a highly athletic player is going to try and block most shots. A sound pump fake and footwork can get a aggressive shot blocker to leave his feet for an easy up and under. Also having a little extra azz helps down low as far as boxing out on rebounds. On defense staying between your man and the rim and knowing what your opponent want to do and forcing him to do something else, or getting him frustrated by denying the ball seem to be the best defense.

Archie was taken in the 3rd round.
Brommer is on the same team as Gatens.
Marble was picked in the 4th and is on Cougill's team.
Stoermer is playing with Cully Payne.
McCabe, Stokes, and May are all on a team.
Basabe by himself, with Murphy.

I haven't heard anything about Cole.
One of those teams will win the league. Reason for this, Murphy played in chicago, Basabe at rucker park/nyc area parks.

Let's compare Cougill's freshman stats with one of the biggest recruits of the Alford era:
Jared Reiner 3.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg his freshman year
Cougill 4.0 ppg 3.0 rpg

In regards to Cougs... I have played bball all my life through my fresh yr in college and then rec leagues since. I am not a coach or profess to be, but I have around long enough to see a number of kids develop or not.

I went to a few games at CHA early in the season, and saw a few on the BTN. It is my opinion that Cougs has some upside. He is never going to be the quickest person or highest leaper on any court, but he has shown a good bball IQ and the ability to shoot, pass, and rebound. He needs better consistency there. The thing holding him back right now is foot work both on the offensive and defensive end. It causes him to be out of position especially on the defensive side and rebounding. The good thing is that time and good coaching can develop this. There is more to bball that running and jumping. If Cougs can develop his footwork to keep his positioning and develop some offensive moves, he will be a valuable member of the team even an uptempo team.

There a number of kids on D1 teams that are extremely quick and can jump really high, but don't have the other skills that Cougs has (and have very little chance of developing them). It is much easier to develop footwork actually than to teach touch on a jump shot or how to be a good passer. This is the same concept in golf. It is easier to teach someone to hit the ball than it is to teach chipping, putting, course management. Some kids as they get older their coordination catches up and their footwork in turn catches up. What concerns me the most about Cougs is if he really has a lingering back problem. It would have been ideal if Cougs could have used his redshirt last year.

Koch/Basabe or May/McCabe

Also - I see McCarty was drafted - so now I am further confused about whether or not he's coming to Iowa.

Koch/Basabe or May/McCabe

Also - I see McCarty was drafted - so now I am further confused about whether or not he's coming to Iowa.

He must be...don't the players have to be present to be drafted? He probably had to try out at some point, right? (I'm seriously asking, I have no clue)

I played against him up at the FH a couple weeks ago so he was playing for awhile. However, the team has been playing at the FH this week and he was not participating with the rest of the team. A couple other observations, Belsabe (sp?) will play a lot next year. His shot is super funky, but he brings something that none of the other bigs can in terms of athleticism. I also cannot believe that Cougill was the number one pick in the draft, especially in an up and down league like the PTL. He just does not seem to be in great shape, but that also comes with his body type I suppose. I will leave it up to everyone else to judge for themselves in the upcoming weeks. I love how Fran is adding so many players to the program. There is enthusiasm in the program which is great.

Were Marble or McCabe playing? Or any of the walk-ons? Any observations on them?

I always have a hard time deciding what teams are best. I like Koch, Basabe team the best, they also have Jason Price, so they have a very solid point even though he is a little older. Team of Ali F and Darryl Moore is going to be good as they have Archie too. Moore has been MVP of the league for the last 15 years running it seems. May and McCabe are a good duo but that is all they have. I might like Gatens and Brommer along with Aliou Kieta second best, they have 2 very good bigs for the league. I also have a hard time not liking the trio of Cougs, Duez and Marble.

Were Marble or McCabe playing? Or any of the walk-ons? Any observations on them?

All of the above have been playing. I think McCarty was there too. There was a really short black kid running with them and I just assumed that it was him because he left with all the other freshmen. Stoermer has been there as well, but for some reason Archie has been MIA.

As for how they look, I haven't really watched them for an extended period of time so I cannot offer to much. It just seems that whenever I look over, Basabe is finishing with a dunk or some other explosive move around the hoop.

Latest posts