Proof there is nothing to do in Nebraska

Frank Solich - Fired before his contract was up
Bill Callahan - Fired before his contract was up
Bo Pelini - Fired before his contract was up
Mike Riley - Fired before his contract was up

At the University Of Buyout, "contract" means how much do I get when I get fired.

The Huskers have three head football coaches getting monthly paychecks right now.

Another piece of advice my mother gave me.
#1 was just be yourself and it will all work out in the end. If it doesn't, it's not the end. (I shared that the other day)
#2 If someplace is always hiring, there is a reason. Good places are hard to get into and if you do, you stay there!!
She had all sorts of good advice. None of which seems to help me out so far, but I have faith. :)

which is part of why Frost will have a long leash
I don’t think it will take them long to turn sour on the guy if he doesn’t make with some division wins pronto. Even if Osborne had started falling off at the end they’d have wanted him out.

Another piece of advice my mother gave me.
#1 was just be yourself and it will all work out in the end. If it doesn't, it's not the end. (I shared that the other day)
#2 If someplace is always hiring, there is a reason. Good places are hard to get into and if you do, you stay there!!
She had all sorts of good advice. None of which seems to help me out so far, but I have faith. :)
I take it you were the only hell your mama ever raised?

I don’t think it will take them long to turn sour on the guy if he doesn’t make with some division wins pronto. Even if Osborne had started falling off at the end they’d have wanted him out.

I dunno. At some point don't you think the light will go on for some of em. I'd bet Frost will get them close to Pelini-level performance and they'll live with that. (Firing Pelini was a mistake, but he made it possible by acting like a tool) I could see it in 2020...Beat 3 out of NWestern, Iowa, Ohio St, Penn St, Purdue or WIsconsin and they're at 9 wins.

09/05 #Purdue Lincoln
09/12 S. Dakota St. Lincoln W
09/19 Central Mich. Lincoln W
09/26 Cincinnati Lincoln W
10/03 #Northwestern Evanston
10/10 #Illinois Lincoln W
10/17 /
10/24 #Rutgers Piscataway W
10/31 #Ohio State Columbus
11/07 #Penn State Lincoln
11/14 #Iowa Iowa City
11/21 #Wisconsin Madison
11/28 #Minnesota Lincoln W

Last edited:
I dunno. At some point don't you think the light will go on for some of em. I'd bet Frost will get them close to Pelini-level performance and they'll live with that. (Firing Pelini was a mistake, but he made it possible by acting like a tool) I could see it in 2020...Beat 2 out of NWestern, Iowa, Ohio St, Penn St or WIsconsin and they're at 9 wins.

09/05 #Purdue Lincoln W
10/17 /
11/14 #Iowa Iowa City
11/21 #Wisconsin Madison
Purdue is trying to get rolling too. Gophers will love having Braska as their last game. They will see that as a must win, just from a media stand point.
I could very well see them dropping one of those, and it's possible both.
Three years to get to 7-8 wins, with 3 of them in non con. I don't know how that's going to sit.
Who cares anyway?
Let's just wait and see.

I dunno. At some point don't you think the light will go on for some of em. I'd bet Frost will get them close to Pelini-level performance and they'll live with that. (Firing Pelini was a mistake, but he made it possible by acting like a tool) I could see it in 2020...Beat 2 out of NWestern, Iowa, Ohio St, Penn St or WIsconsin and they're at 9 wins.

09/05 #Purdue Lincoln W
10/17 /
11/14 #Iowa Iowa City
11/21 #Wisconsin Madison
Think they’ll take Purdue? I’d actually watch that one with interest. Jeff Brohm is a fireball and I think he’s got fans and players on board. I don’t have any Purdue hate and I’d enjoy seeing them have some success when they’re not playing the Hawks.

I still think Nebraska has some problems that coaching can’t directly fix, at least not in the next few years, such as perception and recruiting. When I look at the West I see Wisconsin as the undisputed top team, then a huge gap down to a rotation of NW, Iowa, and Purdue, followed by Nebraska, Minnesota, and Illinois as the bottom feeders. I wouldn’t normally put Nebraska in with Illinois but after the Riley era I think it’s hard not to. They put up good appearances with all of the “sellouts” and their facilities, but their results just aren’t a whole lot better.

Side note, I’m sort of interested now in a visual chart of winning percentages by year minus bowl games for all B1G teams. Bowl games are goofy for data purposes in my opinion. Anyone interested if I were to whip that out? I’m scared to see it, actually.

Think they’ll take Purdue? I’d actually watch that one with interest. Jeff Brohm is a fireball and I think he’s got fans and players on board. I don’t have any Purdue hate and I’d enjoy seeing them have some success when they’re not playing the Hawks.

I still think Nebraska has some problems that coaching can’t directly fix, at least not in the next few years, such as perception and recruiting. When I look at the West I see Wisconsin as the undisputed top team, then a huge gap down to a rotation of NW, Iowa, and Purdue, followed by Nebraska, Minnesota, and Illinois as the bottom feeders. I wouldn’t normally put Nebraska in with Illinois but after the Riley era I think it’s hard not to. They put up good appearances with all of the “sellouts” and their facilities, but their results just aren’t a whole lot better.

Side note, I’m sort of interested now in a visual chart of winning percentages by year minus bowl games for all B1G teams. Bowl games are goofy for data purposes in my opinion. Anyone interested if I were to whip that out? I’m scared to see it, actually.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some good points, my response.
Jeff Brohm is a fireball and I think he’s got fans and players on board.
Could be,I agree Brohm is a good coach. but Purdue football is a tough sell...to players and fans. We'll see. They're a long way from "arrived".

I still think Nebraska has some problems that coaching can’t directly fix, at least not in the next few years, such as perception and recruiting.
I'd suggest both of those things could be addressed pretty quickly by a dynamic young successful coach. Top facilities, a huge packed stadium, some history, there's potential...despite that fact that it's in freaking nowhere. We'll see whether Frost can do it.

then a huge gap down to a rotation of NW, Iowa, and Purdue, followed by Nebraska, Minnesota, and Illinois as the bottom feeders. I wouldn’t normally put Nebraska in with Illinois but after the Riley era I think it’s hard not to. They put up good appearances with all of the “sellouts” and their facilities, but their results just aren’t a whole lot better.

The gap is real, but not unsurmountable. And come on... Purdue is not yet in the same conversation as IOWA and the fighting FItz's. It's much closer to Nebraska and Minnesota...a season or two can change that pretty fast and they could drop a couple of slots.

The next few years in the BTW will be interesting. Much is in play

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some good points, my response.
Jeff Brohm is a fireball and I think he’s got fans and players on board.
Could be,I agree Brohm is a good coach. but Purdue football is a tough sell...to players and fans. We'll see. They're a long way from "arrived".

I still think Nebraska has some problems that coaching can’t directly fix, at least not in the next few years, such as perception and recruiting.
I'd suggest both of those things could be addressed pretty quickly by a dynamic young successful coach. Top facilities, a huge packed stadium, some history, there's potential...despite that fact that it's in freaking nowhere. We'll see whether Frost can do it.

then a huge gap down to a rotation of NW, Iowa, and Purdue, followed by Nebraska, Minnesota, and Illinois as the bottom feeders. I wouldn’t normally put Nebraska in with Illinois but after the Riley era I think it’s hard not to. They put up good appearances with all of the “sellouts” and their facilities, but their results just aren’t a whole lot better.

The gap is real, but not unsurmountable. And come on... Purdue is not yet in the same conversation as IOWA and the fighting FItz's. It's much closer to Nebraska and Minnesota...a season or two can change that pretty fast and the could drop a couple of slots.

The next few years in the BTW will be interesting. Much is in play
You could be right about Purdue. Another year like last year and I have to think they’re serious. Not division winner serious, but enough not to be the guaranteed win anymore like Illinois

You could be right about Purdue. Another year like last year and I have to think they’re serious. Not division winner serious, but enough not to be the guaranteed win anymore like Illinois

The mix of Minnesota/Purdue/Nebraska could shift a lot in the next few years. I don't see Illinois getting out of the basement, but the BTW will be very competitive from 2-6. NWestern and IOWA have both been up and down.

UNL is having to cut programs and its budget, but by God, they know what's really important over there.

Nice swing and a miss. A whole lotta mad jelly in this thread.

Not only is the athletics program self funded and self sustaining, they gave back $5-10 million to academics:

http://www.omaha.com/news/education...cle_0fe1bc83-0fcf-5398-a5e6-75c60ad5074f.html

"With NU this year receiving its full Big Ten revenue share of $51 million, Chancellor Ronnie Green saw an opportunity to increase the $5 million in support that athletics has been directly providing to the academic side of the school. That’s why the school plans to double it to $10 million with the creation of Husker Scholars, a new scholarship program for non-athletes.

Nebraska’s $5 million athletic transfer to academics was already the highest in the Big Ten, more than double the next closest. Most schools subsidize their athletic programs with other university dollars."

The fans get so much hate because they genuinely don't see the reality of anything that's happened in the past 15 years. They honestly think they still have the best team in college football and explain away every beatdown and middle-finish as a one-off fluke, despite the length of time since they were anything close to relevant..

To steal a line from Luke Skywalker (paraphrased), not one thing you said here is true.

Congrats.

To steal a line from Luke Skywalker (paraphrased), not one thing you said here is true.
I work and associate with plenty of them. I call bullshit on your calling my bullshit.

Take a look at Huskerboard, ffs. Every single poster there keeps going on and on and on about their championships that keep getting older and older and older. Mind you, Iowa is no powerhouse. Never has been and I’ve never heard it called one. We know that and can accept it. But the Sand People just can’t get it through their heads that their football team is as relevant as Minnesota now. Hell, even our sickly little Iowa team that the husker fans love to hate has had 2 conference championships since the last time yours had one, and has finished a season in the top ten 5 times since the “Big Red” did it last. Iowa hasn’t fired a coach in the last 39 years and you guys have had 6 and shit canned 4 of ‘em.

Tell us again about the days before the internet.

Take a look at Huskerboard, ffs. Every single poster there keeps going on and on and on about their championships that keep getting older and older and older.

Which means? Is that somehow not the truth? Is wanting to win a conference championship a negative or a sin?

How does that somehow prove anything that you posted previously?

But the Sand People just can’t get it through their heads that their football team is as relevant as Minnesota now.

Now I know how you feel as an Iowa fan.

And what, that will never change? You act as if the Riley era will never end or that the entire post Osborne era is the equivalent of Riley's 3 years.

Hell, even our sickly little Iowa team that the husker fans love to hate TIED FOR 2 conference championships since the last time yours had one,

FIFY.

You won't be able to claim that going forward.

and has finished a season in the top ten 5 times since the “Big Red” did it last. Iowa hasn’t fired a coach in the last 39 years and you guys have had 6 and shit canned 4 of ‘em.

Irrelevant.

Tell us again about the days before the internet.

At least I was able to enjoy those years.

Which means? Is that somehow not the truth? Is wanting to win a conference championship a negative or a sin?
Wanting to win isn't, everyone wants to win. Nebraska rubes bashing Iowa constantly about how your team is so much more dominant and how Iowa's beneath you is delusional. Unless you want to squawk about seasons that happened two decades ago.

Now I know how you feel as an Iowa fan.
I don't think you do.

And what, that will never change? You act as if the Riley era will never end or that the entire post Osborne era is the equivalent of Riley's 3 years.
Good lord man you guys just can't see through the fog, can you? It's not the Riley era. It's the Solich/Callahan/Pelini/Riley era.

Jesus Osborne retires, then you guys get a good coach in Solich and fire him after he wins a conference championship, 3 division titles, never had a losing record, and the firing came after a 10-3 season. What the F more do you want?

Then, as par for the Nebraska course, you hire a flaming turd to replace a good coach and Callahan (aka Mike Riley Sr.) runs your program into the ground and misses your first bowl games since the Nixon years. Better fire that slob and keep your streak of multiple head coaches on payroll going. What else you gonna do at that point, right?

Next let's bring in Bo Pelini and fire that guy after he wins more division titles than he lost, and never won less than 9 games. He was a dick no doubt, but you want to know why he bitched about your shit stain fans? Because they're shit stain fans. Fans who, in their infinite boredom and lack of other recreational activities, throw temper tantrums and heckle anyone who isn't Jesus Osborne and doesn't go undefeated every year. Guess what? Welcome to the Big Ten, where you have more than one full speed game against Oklahoma every year. Time for another coach to get checks for sitting on the couch (your HR and accounting departments must really love football).

Next up in a long line of genius decisions by the storied and famed Nebraska Athletic Department is to bring in the granddaddy of 'em all. Ol' Mike Riley. A guy who in his 5 years prior to Nebraska never finished higher than 5th in the PAC12 (one year), and never higher than 8th in the others. I won't bore you with the details of how that turned out. Must have been because Riley hired Crazy Bob Diaco who came from Iowa, right? Nah.

So...time to go for the record and put 3 head coaches on the payroll, and hire Dr. Tommy's redheaded stepchild, Jesus Ginger Jr. 'Cause that'll solve eeeeeeverything, right? We'll even make a comic book about him and get Billy Moos to tell those sons a bitches Harbaugh and Meyer where the bear shits (and then backtrack like a sissy when he gets called out on it).

Did Nebraska win more games than Iowa during that time? Sure. No one disputes that. But, as per the topic of the thread to this point, your team has been a bumbling, irrelevant chain of embarrassing decisions driven by the ridiculous fanbase for years. Fans who can't seem to get it in their heads that their team dwells in the bottom 4th of their conference, hasn't challenged a serious contender (let alone been one) in 15 years, and that Iowa, as shitty as we are, is better than Nebraska now. Not just a "flukey" better, either. We have more top tens, Conference CO-championships, 4 out of the last 5 against your squad, and in that time period outscored Nebraska 196-98, stolen your best in state recruits, had more players drafted, more first rounders, more pro bowlers, and more pro bowls total. Are we a blue blood? No way. And we can accept that.

Back in the corded phone days when Nebraska led us in all those categories you wouldn't think of being compared to a school like Iowa. So what's different now that the tables are turned? Nothing other than your fans' detachment from reality.

Irrelevant.
It isn't any less relevant than games that happened in 1995.

At least I was able to enjoy those years.
Lol. The Nebraska fan equivalent to "I know you are, but what am I"

Last edited:

Not only is the athletics program self funded and self sustaining, they gave back $5-10 million to academics:

http://www.omaha.com/news/education...cle_0fe1bc83-0fcf-5398-a5e6-75c60ad5074f.html

"With NU this year receiving its full Big Ten revenue share of $51 million, Chancellor Ronnie Green saw an opportunity to increase the $5 million in support that athletics has been directly providing to the academic side of the school. That’s why the school plans to double it to $10 million with the creation of Husker Scholars, a new scholarship program for non-athletes.

Nebraska’s $5 million athletic transfer to academics was already the highest in the Big Ten, more than double the next closest. Most schools subsidize their athletic programs with other university dollars."
You need all the revenue you can generate, sell sustained or otherwise, to eat the contracts of all those football coaches you've shit-canned.

Which doesn't even come close to the two head coach buyouts you have in effect right now.

Moooooos thinks Harbaugh and Meyer are quaking? I bet Bama is crapping their pants about now! Baby Jesus has arrived at fusker land! We are all doomed!

The spring game numbers are about the same for them every year. It’s a great recruiting tool. Why Iowa doesn’t use it, I don’t know. At least Nebraska is trying to get back to greatness while Iowa continues to mire in mediocrity. Living in NW Iowa I can tell you there isn’t much else to do in this state.

Uh, that's cuz you're in BFE NW Iowa.

The DEZ and the IC have plenty of...scenery

Latest posts