Press Release on Gary Dolphin Suspension

also not trying to stir anyone up, but I think its really sad about the state of affairs in our lives that Jim Boeheim literally killed someone driving and is still coaching but Gary Barta was suspended for an insensitive comment.

Or maybe it just shows you that this isnt really so much about anything poltical, outside of office politics (ie. boosters/admin/barta)
Jim Boeheim accidentally hit someone who walked out in traffic and you want him suspended?

And Gary Barta got suspended?

Haha you're fine man, at least you thought about it. I didnt even think of that when I read your post, I appreciated the comment. Just shows that we all have blindspots, myself included!

I have got kids, so I immediately thought about the Zootopia satire of that descriptor. Pretty clever. If you haven't seen the movie, it is classic Pixar gold.

A compliment can be insensitive, thats the point i'm trying to make. I dont think Dolph meant it in any negative way.

I'm just saying that people should recognize there is a connotation with referring to black players as primates, thats all. Im not asking for anyone's head, not asking for anyone to be fired, just for people to say "oh, I see how that could bother someone."

He was praising Maryland and how they played. He said they shot well from outside and then commented on how good Bruno was at the end. He paused for like 1 second trying to think of an analogy for how well he played. That is A LOT to ask for someone to think "wait a second, the player I am talking about is black (kinda racist to even think that in that minute) and black people can be called apes. I need a new analogy". That is a lot of thinking and a lot of radio silence over something that you have no idea would even be an issue.

Here is where you are off. You think it is insensitive to refer to a black person as King Kong because he is an ape. But Gary wasn't talking about a black person. He was talking about a person who happened to be black. There is a huge difference there. He would have said the same thing if the player was white. In my mind its incredibly racist to not be able to use a comparison that you would use on a white guy, solely because the person is black. How can we get rid of racism if we say it's ok to refer to a white guy as king Kong of the post to say he was a beast, but cant say it about a black guy?

Jim Boeheim accidentally hit someone who walked out in traffic and you want him suspended?

And Gary Barta got suspended?
Good catch on the typo.

And no, I dont think he should be suspended, but I would say its a little (your favorite word) insensitive, to coach right after the event.

I really got under your skin, huh snowflake?

Interesting coming from a person who is calling someone a maniac with their screen name.

Not always a bad thing. :)

s-l300.jpg

Good catch on the typo.

And no, I dont think he should be suspended, but I would say its a little (your favorite word) insensitive, to coach right after the event.

I really got under your skin, huh snowflake?
See that’s where the difference is. I’m not offended by that and I don’t expect an apology.

And why is it insensitive for Boeheim to coach? Would you expect other people not to go to work after they had an incident like that? Honest question.

He was praising Maryland and how they played. He said they shot well from outside and then commented on how good Bruno was at the end. He paused for like 1 second trying to think of an analogy for how well he played. That is A LOT to ask for someone to think "wait a second, the player I am talking about is black (kinda racist to even think that in that minute) and black people can be called apes. I need a new analogy". That is a lot of thinking and a lot of radio silence over something that you have no idea would even be an issue.

Here is where you are off. You think it is insensitive to refer to a black person as King Kong because he is an ape. But Gary wasn't talking about a black person. He was talking about a person who happened to be black. There is a huge difference there. He would have said the same thing if the player was white. In my mind its incredibly racist to not be able to use a comparison that you would use on a white guy, solely because the person is black. How can we get rid of racism if we say it's ok to refer to a white guy as king Kong of the post to say he was a beast, but cant say it about a black guy?
I'm not asking GD to have the foresight to see that his comment was insensitive ahead of time or in real time, thats unrealistic. I'm also not asking for him to be suspended, i think its a pretty BS reason.

I'm just saying that we should be more aware of context.

And as far as it being okay to say it about a white person and not okay to say it about a black person, that just exists because of current power structures obviously (to me at least) being in favor of white people.

Now if we started systematically being racist to white people and called them monkeys or beasts or whatever for hundreds of years while we imposed that racism, then yes, it would be insensitive to call a white person a beast. That's what I mean when I say not everything occurs in a vacuum.

Also as I mentioned before, I do think that referring to players as animals and inanimate objects does kind of dehumanize them a bit and we should move away from it. All a matter of opinion of course, I'm clearly in the minority opinion on this site lol.

@FRANAMANIAC has been nothing but thoughtful and articulate on the subject at hand. He is not calling anyone a racist, he has been very open-minded to others' ideas. I am not sure why the attacks are necessary.

I think the Dolphin suspension for this is ridiculous. I also think that IN GENERAL we should care if our words/actions negatively affects others. In the Dolphin case, I don't think we have any evidence that his words hurt anyone.

Now that doesn't mean that I say something, Person A is upset, I am automatically a bad person and need to apologize. Look at it on a situational basis. I have to ask myself, if I was Person A in this case, would I feel upset? How does Person A's background influence how they interpret this situation vs. how I interpret this situation?

Sometimes Person A is just being an oversensitive asshole (especially if Person A is getting offended on behalf of another group of people who don't seem to have taken any particular offense at all). Then you just move on with your life.

But sometimes Person A has a point. And I can learn, and I can be a better human being in my interactions with Person A in the future. Win-win.

p.s. - I love Beth Mowins

Great post. The bad thing is when you get fired while learning your lesson.

I am a little disappointed in my screen name, but I havent found any way to change it? I made it well before I was so concerned about my language and how it affects others.

You do raise a good point about ableism in our language.
The only point is society is now get offended first and then figure out why you are offended

See that’s where the difference is. I’m not offended by that and I don’t expect an apology.

And why is it insensitive for Boeheim to coach? Would you expect other people not to go to work after they had an incident like that? Honest question.

the context of Jim Boeheim being a celebrity/well known/appearing on national TV.

I also think this one is a more of a tossup, I personally am not offended by him coaching, just thought it seemed an interesting juxtaposition as one person is being railroaded for an unintentional meaning of words, while another was involved in someones death and is just continuing to work.

IDK

Shit, I just remembered that calling an African American articulate is racist because finding it notable enough to point out infers that African Americans are normally not articulate. I will go sit in the corner.

Or are you being racist towards white people because you didn't infer that they may have the ability to be articulate as well??? I completed company training on diversity, sensitivity, harassment, etc. recently, and I started missing nearly every question on the quiz because I got to the point where I thought any little thing was wrong and sometimes it wasn't. As a white person I have been called a racist and accused of white privilege even though I do not have a racist thought in my mind or heart. At least according to me. But apparently I cannot even recognize my biases merely because I was born white. If I say I think it is all ridiculous, I am accused of being insensitive. Dolph's comment was a compliment not a racist or insensitive remark. He should be reinstated immediately, but my guess is he will be fired. Unfortunate!

But was it offensive to some white guy who wants to appear to be fighting the good fight, or did this come from somebody else? I think that's a fair question. The black people I know can't see it, or say that anyone who would think that is probably the real racist. I admit I have a small circle of black friends, so that's why I'm legitimately asking where the complaint came from.

This is a good point. I think there is a large group of people who want to be offended now because they think being offended is the right thing to do. Is there a black guy out there that was actually offended by this? Possibly but probably not. I bet there are a ton of white people offended tho. Not because they are actually offended, but because they want to show people around them how offended they are because it's the right thing to do.

Reactions: DJL
the context of Jim Boeheim being a celebrity/well known/appearing on national TV.
I’m still failing to see how that has anything to do with him returning to coaching.

Him being well known and on tv is a good reason for him not returning to his job after an accident?

I believe you’re looking for some sort of fault or expectation where there isn’t any.

Latest posts