Press Release on Gary Dolphin Suspension

Let's compare it to the Howard Cosell "look at that little monkey run" "dart around" or other ways he might have said it. Cosell used this a couple times with white players but it eventually caught up with him. Face it Cosell and Dolphin are saying the player is like a monkey or a gorilla so it does not sound or seem good.

I listened to the audio that Rob posted and Dolph doesnt come off like he meant any bad comparison but it just sounds bad. Just say the player was great on offense and defense controlling the lane etc etc.

If you want to see awkward and insensitive, maybe unconsciously insensitive, the yahoo search "rick barry watermelon grin" to see the you tube video of Rick Barry saying a picture of Bill Russell looks like he has a yes "a watermelon grin". Oh it is bad and awkward and you can see Russell take the high road at least while the game was still on.

It is the same sort of thing using and animal or some type of bad epithet.

This is just stupid, Dolph was being complimentary. What's next...banning use of the word "beast"?
I can see Disney coming out with a new title:

“Beauty and the trans-species really hairy white dude whose elitism keeps all non- or trans- persons down.”

We probably could tone down comparing people to animals or machines. I also dont think this kind of language is really banned, just frowned upon. As others have mentioned in this thread, it seems the motivations for suspending Gary isnt really coming from a place of social justice mindset.
Then the social justice warriors should be pissed that it’s being misused, right?

How many millions of minutes of college broadcasts have there been this season?
Has anyone heard ANY broadcaster refer to a large African American player as "King Kong"?

Good God. Of course not? Why? Because apparently everyone but Dolph knows it is just plain stupid and of poor judgement. Do I think Dolph is racist? I have no idea, but I suspect not. But he is slipping and has been for years, IMO.

And to fret that using a term like beast or monster might now be off limits is pretty ridiculous and a deflection.

I am no fan of Barta, or Fran necessarily, but Dolph has no one to blame but himself. Stupid.

If Fernando reminded Dolph of King Kong, then which one of our guys was Fay Ray? All five of them? :eek:

We

Wow I never thought this would be the kind of place i'd type out a long form political reply![/QUOTE]

What you wrote is not political but sociological and cultural. Gary might not have even thought well enough about what he was saying but you have to have lived in a shell to not know the comparisons it renders.

Some people on this thread are saying "shame on you for having those thoughts when you heard Dolph's comments" but if you are anywhere in the least aware of what goes on in life you know this was a bad comparison because you have seen or heard people getting smeared with these types of comments, or read about them in fiction and non-fiction, seen it on the news, or watch the news where ugly white supremasists (sp?) yell stuff like this. It is hard to not know what this comparison means. There were so many more straight basketball statements that could have been made about the player as in he 'played hard, rebounded very well and scored well in the paint.".

The problem in society today is that terms such as "insensitive" are being defined by those that label the comments as insensitive in the first place. That paradigm is a no-win situation for those that are accused - if you disagree, you are insensitive or ignorant at best, and a racist or bigot at worst.

It's a circular argument. Person A is offended. Person B thinks that Person A is overly sensitive. Person A therefore has carte blanche to define Person B in any way he/she pleases. Any counter argument is assumed to be driven by deep-rooted biases and/or ignorance, therefore it is logically impossible for Person B to mount a meaningful defense of his/her actions or words.

There is the famous philosophical statement, "I think, therefore I am." A more accurate term for today's society would be, "I'm offended, therefore I'm right..."

The only way you could ever "consider how your words will reach a larger audience" would be with the use of hindsight.
This. Or consider yourself to be god.

Which is an explanation I guess

I don’t think he said it maliciously but comparing a black player to a primate, even a fictional character is a little insensitive, given the connotations. Not sure it warranted a rest of season suspension tho. Maybe just an apology and move on. Seems pretty clear Barta or someone in the admin wants him gone tho.
I remember when Shack was called Superman, wasn't that trying to make him white

What a pussified fucking nation! The end to the pink locker room is just around the corner! You can't say shit any more that doesn't offend anyone some way or some how. I called an older lady ma'am the other day and she got pissed! For the record she got even more pissed after I called her sir!

Do you find the whole blackface thing offensive? The way I see it is there isnt a better way to be "un-racist" than wanting to dress up as a person who happens to be black. I think if we live in a world where its wrong for a white person to dress up as a black person, we will never be race free.

Wow. You have no idea the origins and history of blackface? Seriously? Tell you what, I could send you a long wiki link for you to read but you really need to do your homework before you make an ignorant statement like that. Look it up. But just in case you are too lazy for that I will share a passage for you.

Stereotyped blackface characters developed: buffoonish, lazy, superstitious, cowardly, and lascivious characters, who stole, lied pathologically, and mangled the English language. Early blackface minstrels were all male, so cross-dressing white men also played black women who were often portrayed as unappealingly and grotesquely mannish, in the matronly mammy mold, or as highly sexually provocative.

Dolph given his experience and the professionalism job, should have known better. I don't believe for sasecond that he hadn't been trained or informed about what not to do. Do I think he's racist? Not in his mind and in the minds of most Iowans. Was the comment insensitive? Sure it was. You can't change history. Most Iowan's don't live in the world of blacks.

Whether or not the player was offended really is irrelevant. There is a meaning portraying people certain ways.

Dolph should have known better. Admin if they are going to throw stones should have had training/policy if they didn't. Dolph grew up in an era where there was still segregation. Actually people in their upper down to mid 50s did.

Does anyone have a pass to 247? There is a thread about it on the Rutgers site. They were complaining last week about Iowa calling Rutgers thugs...and they made their points which does have some merit on the underlying meaning.

I have a real hard time with this, I avoid getting in any potentially political discussion for fear of "big brother" labeling me a "reactionary", or God forgive, "racist". My reaction was that the Iowa players were being manhandled by a superior foe, and to an extreme that said superior foe was larger than life, ie, King Kong.

Maybe I am wrong, and Dolphin has a sinister agenda, Except I realize how ludicrous that sounds after I typed it.

IMO, this is a typical knee jerk reaction to a select vocal few who feel like they have the right to dictate what everyone else thinks, or says, or believes................

Ultimately, and its my opinion only, this is reactionary BS.

My goodness, and I thought that the average tax return being down 9% was enough cause for alarm..................

Latest posts