Prepare Yourselves Now For Cancellation

Fryowa

Administrator
With UCLA just breaking now, that’s 5 bowl games getting cancelled. It’s probably best to expect the worst and hope for the best. I have a feeling there’s going to be a ton more of this happening. Sucks for the kids the most, but also sucks for the fans. Although I have to say that any fan paying for a bowl trip this year is pretty dumb. There’s no way you can insure every expense for a trip like that, and the odds are just too great to lay that kind of money out, IMO.

Also side note…if a cancellation does happen, take any Covid meltdowns to OT. Don’t do it here. Fair warning.

Wouldn't it be wild if a playoff team had to tap out due to Covid? Not that there wouldn't be extreme measures taken to prevent that, but it's still a possibility.

As bad as it is out there, one glimmer of hope in seeing the game played is that both Iowa and Kentucky last year created an environmental of safety for their programs. The question might be: Which team might ‘blink’ first as to having an issue. If one or both teams were to have an outbreak, might if be among a subset of players whereby the coach would still agree to play the game.

With UCLA just breaking now, that’s 5 bowl games getting cancelled. It’s probably best to expect the worst and hope for the best. I have a feeling there’s going to be a ton more of this happening. Sucks for the kids the most, but also sucks for the fans. Although I have to say that any fan paying for a bowl trip this year is pretty dumb. There’s no way you can insure every expense for a trip like that, and the odds are just too great to lay that kind of money out, IMO.

Also side note…if a cancellation does happen, take any Covid meltdowns to OT. Don’t do it here. Fair warning.
I've been thinking the same thing all week. And as was already mentioned, I will believe the game is on when the kickoff is in the air. UCLA just cancelled today and their game was scheduled tonight. Sucks, for everyone.

The game will be played. There may be players out, but the game will be played.
Two tough teams that will give it a go if they can field a team.

After the Michigan debacle and Captain Kirk's unwillingness to change his offensive staff, I honestly don't care whether this game is played or not.

Keep fingers crossed huh? 11 "lucky" number. Go Hawks....

COVID is spreading like wildfire down there my fingers are crossed they get to play the game. I know the HMB will be missing a few members because of COVID protocols and that’s just from the ones who came forward. Who knows how many are just ignoring their symptoms.

It‘s a mess, my son is worried the game could get canceled and they are scheduled to leave this morning.

Luckily none of these games matter except for 3 of them.

Yeah, I know as people get older they have a "meh" attitude toward some things, but I think with the advent of the playoffs, the relevance of bowl games, even upper tier ones, has pretty much disappeared. It would have been unimaginable for guys to sit out the Rose Bowl 20 years ago, now it is damned near expected.

After the Michigan debacle and Captain Kirk's unwillingness to change his offensive staff, I honestly don't care whether this game is played or not.
Are you me?
Even without Covid I cannot get fired up about a bowl game even a little bit.

Knock it back down to a handful of bowl games on NY day like the good old days and I’d get excited, but then it still wouldn’t matter because we probably wouldn’t make one.

Are you me?

I watch to see some great defensive plays and overall great defense, see some really good specials teams (tackles, runbacks, FGs), and then this year anything remotely good on offense is a positive like long runs, passes, scores especially

Even without Covid I cannot get fired up about a bowl game even a little bit.

Knock it back down to a handful of bowl games on NY day like the good old days and I’d get excited, but then it still wouldn’t matter because we probably wouldn’t make one.
I don't think anything has really changed. Even before the playoffs, bowl games were essentially meaningless unless a team was ranked in the top 3 or 4 of the polls before the bowl game.

The whole theory always was that a bowl game was supposed to be a fun, warm weather trip that rewarded the players and the fans. And most of Iowa's bowl games have accomplished that goal. I attended a Rose Bowl, an Orange Bowl, a couple of Outback Bowls and a Peach Bowl. They were all meaningless games, but they were fun. They were "events." Some of the time Iowa actually won the game. And that was fun too.

Minnesota won a meaningless game last night. And they looked pretty good doing it. The senior offensive linemen were hugging and congratulating themselves at the end of the game. I'm sure it meant something to them. I enjoyed watching them defeat a Big 12 team.

I get what you are saying, but a playoff system is only going to reward 4, 8 or 12 teams tops. More teams than that deserve to play in the post-season, as a reward to the players and fans. If a player doesn't want to play in the bowl game to protect his NFL future, that's ok. But many of the players, and particularly the seniors, won't have an NFL future. The bowl game matters to them.

I would be curious to know if you have ever attended an Iowa bowl game. If so, did you enjoy the experience? Did the winning or losing really matter to you?

Latest posts