Prepare Yourselves Now For Cancellation

The whole theory always was that a bowl game was supposed to be a fun, warm weather trip that rewarded the players and the fans.
See that’s where you’re wrong.

Bowl games were created to give the very best teams a reward for excellence and a chance to play another elite team that they normally wouldn’t play. When they started there we’re just a handful and it did mean something. Making a bowl meant you were a top 15-ish team and you had to earn your way there.

Now because of the advertising money they generate there are over 40 games and they’re just bullshit. You can have a losing record and make one. It’s totally against the spirit of why bowl games existed in the first place.

Bowl games nowadays are just for old fogeys to blow a bunch of coin on and teams to get 15 extra practices. Aside from parents of players, the average age of bowl game attendees is in the upper 60s and it’ll continue that way. The crowds on TV look like Tuesday noon bingo at the assisted living bunkhouse.

I’m all for the players getting to play games. I’m sure it’s a great trip, great memories, and a nice reward. But let’s not act like they mean anything anymore.

I am excited to see the game because Iowa is playing football. I feel the same when Iowa plays Colorado State or Penn State or UNI. Some games are bigger than others, and a bowl game on New Years Day that is one of a couple games on TV is a big damn game. Add a Stoops and SEC on the other end, I am pumped.

If you really don't care about Iowa football because Iowa got trounced by the #2 team in the nation and because KF did not instantly fire his son the next day, then maybe get off this board and cheer for Alabama.

For people bagging on bowls, I get that there are too many, but hey, I like football and don't see a saturation issue. Its a great reward for these kids who sacrifice their bodies for a year to get there, its a great for each team's fan base to travel or watch at home, and hey, how many major sporting leagues have a system in place where more than one team can end the season with a trophy in their hands and smiling players all around? I like college football.

Bowl games were created to give the very best teams a reward for excellence and a chance to play another elite team that they normally wouldn’t play. When they started there we’re just a handful and it did mean something. Making a bowl meant you were a top 15-ish team and you had to earn your way there.

Now because of the advertising money they generate there are over 40 games and they’re just bullshit. You can have a losing record and make one. It’s totally against the spirit of why bowl games existed in the first place.

Bowl games nowadays are just for old fogeys to blow a bunch of coin on and teams to get 15 extra practices. Aside from parents of players, the average age of bowl game attendees is in the upper 60s and it’ll continue that way. The crowds on TV look like Tuesday noon bingo at the assisted living bunkhouse.

I’m all for the players getting to play games. I’m sure it’s a great trip, great memories, and a nice reward. But let’s not act like they mean anything anymore.
By this standard, no game matters after Iowa loses its first game. If a game doesn't implicate the playoffs, it doesn't matter?

Why can't we be happy that our team is playing a great opponent and we get to watch it? I just don't get being negative for no apparent reason. Its Iowa fucking football. I can't wait for Saturday!!!!

My two cents...Like the majority bowl games are totally irrelevant and nothing about them is what it used to be. That said, I see it in the same light as playing an OOC game. Sure it's irrelevant, but its one more opportunity to watch the Hawks. I get bowl season is watered down and essentially meaningless, but we have the option of watching or not watching. College football is one of my favorite sports so meaningless or not I'm going to watch and if Iowa Isn't playing and the game sucks then I'll absolutely turn it off and find something else to do.

I don't think anything has really changed. Even before the playoffs, bowl games were essentially meaningless unless a team was ranked in the top 3 or 4 of the polls before the bowl game.

The whole theory always was that a bowl game was supposed to be a fun, warm weather trip that rewarded the players and the fans. And most of Iowa's bowl games have accomplished that goal. I attended a Rose Bowl, an Orange Bowl, a couple of Outback Bowls and a Peach Bowl. They were all meaningless games, but they were fun. They were "events." Some of the time Iowa actually won the game. And that was fun too.

Minnesota won a meaningless game last night. And they looked pretty good doing it. The senior offensive linemen were hugging and congratulating themselves at the end of the game. I'm sure it meant something to them. I enjoyed watching them defeat a Big 12 team.

I get what you are saying, but a playoff system is only going to reward 4, 8 or 12 teams tops. More teams than that deserve to play in the post-season, as a reward to the players and fans. If a player doesn't want to play in the bowl game to protect his NFL future, that's ok. But many of the players, and particularly the seniors, won't have an NFL future. The bowl game matters to them.

I would be curious to know if you have ever attended an Iowa bowl game. If so, did you enjoy the experience? Did the winning or losing really matter to you?
I have attended many of Iowa’s bowl games over lots of years. Winning was, for me, what the games were all about. Enjoyment of the experience was based on the final score. As to the smaller part of enjoying the bowl experience, in order for me: Alamo, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Miami, and Rose, which was way down the list. The stadium is a dump. I would rather go to Northwestern.

Bowl games were created my the local chamber of commerce (local business interests) and now ESPN to generate revenue. Another benefit is a reward for the benefit teams and fans.

Regardless of how many bowls there are they DO have meaning to the coaches, players families and fans of the school. And they have a bit of meaning for me as its nice entertainment during the holidays. So I disagree with your premise and the conclusion that the games are meaningless.

Last edited:
BTW. For all of you who think the bowl games are nearly all meaningless, please humor me and define how you measure “meaningless.” Maybe start with “meaningless to you personally”?

BTW. For all of you who think the bowl games are nearly all meaningless, please humor me and define how you measure “meaningless.” Maybe start with “meaningless to you personally”?
Anyone who thinks the A-1 Roto-Rooter Bowl presented by Bill’s Taxidermy Shop held in Knucklespur, TX between the (6-6) Upper Northwest Poughkeepsie County University Mudhens and the (7-5) Central Kalamazoo Welding School Anklebiters means anything is kidding themselves.

You’re just mad because I said bowl games were for old fogeys and I get it, but the 70 and over crowd are the vast majority of the ones dropping $3K for a trip to Geezerville, FL every year.

A team should have to do something exceptional to make a bowl, not just be .500.

Without Tracy, Goodson, etc., and the question of Petras v. Padilla, the bowl game somewhat turns the corner to seeing a hint of next year’s season. Will the game reflect ‘any’ changed coaching values by KF since the ‘mass knock-down’ from michigan? We definitely need some 'image repair' after that game and our earlier #2 ranking fiasco. Also, even with a good recruiting outlook for next year, Iowa needs all the help it can get. If we’re the humiliator, versus the humiliated in this game, that equals talking points for recruits. Whether good stadium attendance or many Iowans adding to TV ratings, this helps with future bowl selections and overall student enrollments. We owe it to ourselves as fans to talk up this game to bolster viewership. Our players have earned the right in their senior citizen years to boast about having played in this bowl game.

By this standard, no game matters after Iowa loses its first game. If a game doesn't implicate the playoffs, it doesn't matter?

Why can't we be happy that our team is playing a great opponent and we get to watch it? I just don't get being negative for no apparent reason. Its Iowa fucking football. I can't wait for Saturday!!!!
I watch the games and I always want Iowa to win. But it’s basically just another non-con game, especially now that there’s a CFP. There’s no extra significance to a game that you don’t really have to do anything special to qualify for.

I watch the games and I always want Iowa to win. But it’s basically just another non-con game, especially now that there’s a CFP. There’s no extra significance to a game that you don’t really have to do anything special to qualify for.
Bowls are meaningless, non-con games are meaningless, coaching changes are meaningless, rankings are meaningless, recruiting services are meaningless, and in general, non-Fry takes are meaningless.

-- The Book of Fry.

A positive post now and then would might be good for your health. Ask the Grinch! ("Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.")

Go Hawks!!!

Anyone who thinks the A-1 Roto-Rooter Bowl presented by Bill’s Taxidermy Shop held in Knucklespur, TX between the (6-6) Upper Northwest Poughkeepsie County University Mudhens and the (7-5) Central Kalamazoo Welding School Anklebiters means anything is kidding themselves.

You’re just mad because I said bowl games were for old fogeys and I get it, but the 70 and over crowd are the vast majority of the ones dropping $3K for a trip to Geezerville, FL every year.

A team should have to do something exceptional to make a bowl, not just be .500.

There is only one bowl game that matters

1640818265390.png

Cook that bacon and slice those tomatos

:cool:

Bowls are meaningless, non-con games are meaningless, coaching changes are meaningless, rankings are meaningless, recruiting services are meaningless, and in general, non-Fry takes are meaningless.

-- The Book of Fry.

A positive post now and then would might be good for your health. Ask the Grinch! ("Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.")

Go Hawks!!!
If this game is meaningless then every game is meaningless. I would love to hear one person tell me where they have ever heard from any one person that is afilllated with a university that is going to a bowl game that it is meaningless or any fan that has ever said another chance to watch your team play again is a meaningless game. ill wait.

Last edited:

I like that your definition of “meaningless” is pretty much like mine. When posters stretch out the criticism to about all of the bowl games except the final 4, we part company. I could certainly be fine with bowl games for the top 25-30. And, I am not mad about being old, retired, and having a blast!

Iowa went 10-3. The Citrus is the top bowl after the NY6. They earned the trip.

you may be right about one thing. The other board is reporting a bunch of COVID on the Iowa team. I hope it’s not true

Iowa went 10-3. The Citrus is the top bowl after the NY6. They earned the trip.

you may be right about one thing. The other board is reporting a bunch of COVID on the Iowa team. I hope it’s not true
I don’t want the game canceled. Not at all.

The other board is reporting a bunch of COVID on the Iowa team. I hope it’s not true
Chad Liestikow is tweeting live from Top Golf as we speak…where the Iowa team is having what appears to be a hilarious time. They wouldn’t be doing that if they were on the verge of having problems.

That poster at HR is also known for shitposting false info.

Iowa went 10-3. The Citrus is the top bowl after the NY6. They warned the trip.

Chad Liestikow is tweeting live from Top Golf as we speak…where the Iowa team is having what appears to be a hilarious time. They wouldn’t be doing that if they were on the verge of having problems.

Good to hear

Top Golf is a blast everywhere in the country. Before I went to one I thought it was just a multi-tier driving range.

Despite the name, golf is down the list of why you go.

Latest posts