Predict the Starting Lineup to Open the Season

Also, why do people think MG will sit when he started every game from day 1 and he can play on or off the ball effectively?
Same with Woodbury and those that feel Gabe will either take a lot of minutes or start?

Also, why do people think MG will sit when he started every game from day 1 and he can play on or off the ball effectively?
Same with Woodbury and those that feel Gabe will either take a lot of minutes or start?

Reason I saw that Gabe will start is because Herby thought he would be a 10 and 10 guy.

The real reason is, I believe if he adds to his offensive game, I see that it gives us the best chance to win. Now for the minutes, Woody is known for getting in foul trouble early. So I can't see him having more minutes because it will be a risk to have him on the floor for long stretches at a time.

Reason I saw that Gabe will start is because Herby thought he would be a 10 and 10 guy.

The real reason is, I believe if he adds to his offensive game, I see that it gives us the best chance to win. Now for the minutes, Woody is known for getting in foul trouble early. So I can't see him having more minutes because it will be a risk to have him on the floor for long stretches at a time.

I think you will see a different player in Woodbury this season. Also, it will be good to have a two-headed monster in the middle.

I think you will see a different player in Woodbury this season. Also, it will be good to have a two-headed monster in the middle.

I hope I do. Plus I will admit I am probably a little two high on Olaseni, but I do think if he can get a consistent offensive game, the skies the limit for him.

The five starters from last year return. Unless Uthoff/Jok beat someone out (Basabe) I don't see that changing. Iowa has a versatile roster now, so if a starter struggles early...no worries as I think Iowa has the best bench no matter who starts in the Big Ten.
Agree. I don't see a big change in the starting lineup, outside of possibly Uthoff at the small forward. If Fran wanted Marble as the starting PG, he'd have made him starting PG a long time ago.

I think Fran will give the nod to Basabe early in the year, but Uthoff will take over at 3 and push White to the 4 and Basabe to the bench by mid-December.
PG: Gesell
SG: Marble
SF: White
PF: Basabe
C: Woodbury

i agree with this. this will probably be how they start the year, but it could change quite a bit during the course of the season depending on how Uthoff plays.

i agree with this. this will probably be how they start the year, but it could change quite a bit during the course of the season depending on how Uthoff plays.
Basabe started fewer than half of the games last year. Why would he be a starter this year?

Basabe started fewer than half of the games last year. Why would he be a starter this year?

Well that's one way of looking at it, of course a more reasonable way of looking at it would be that Basabe started the last 18 games of the season last year and was arguably the best player on the team in our trip to Europe, so why wouldn't he start?

Agree. I don't see a big change in the starting lineup, outside of possibly Uthoff at the small forward. If Fran wanted Marble as the starting PG, he'd have made him starting PG a long time ago.

This isn't a QB competition, why would Fran announce that Marble is the starting pg two months before the season? He can start both him and Gesell in the backcourt and just have Marble do most of the ball handling whether he's listed as the one or the two.

Because a lot of the things that Gabe does well, are very visible. The blocks, dunks, stuff like that really stands out. The things Woodbury does really well, off the ball defense, pick and roll defense, outlet passes aren't nearly as exciting to the average fan.

Well that's one way of looking at it, of course a more reasonable way of looking at it would be that Basabe started the last 18 games of the season last year and was arguably the best player on the team in our trip to Europe, so why wouldn't he start?
Good point.

This isn't a QB competition, why would Fran announce that Marble is the starting pg two months before the season? He can start both him and Gesell in the backcourt and just have Marble do most of the ball handling whether he's listed as the one or the two.

Marble is our Pippen ... Gessel is Steve Kerr or John Paxson. I'm not going to explain this to you if you can't figure it out.

Unfortunately, I don't see an MJ on this roster (paging Mr. Jok), but White plays a good Kukoc!

Start of the season.

Marbel
Gesell
Whight
Besabe
Woodberry

Season ending.
Marbel
Gessel
Whight
Uthough
Woodberry

Here's my guess:

PG - Marble
SG - Oglesby
F - Uthoff
F - White
C - Woodbury

Slight chance Gesell takes over the PG and Marble moves to the 2.

I think Basabe off the bench is better than Basabe starting..I think he came to embrace that role last year...in the end, once you get beyond ego (and I think he has done that), starting is so overblown...if you start and play 15 minutes per game or you come off the bench and play 21, which do you want?

Latest posts