Praise for Chip Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you call jon a pawn? If you fail to see the difference between how chip brown reports and how jon reports, i'm wasting key strokes.

how would you NOT call chip brown a pawn is my question?

In regards to Chip Brown: pawn is a good word. Another one that comes to mind is tool.

I think Jon does a good job and can be pretty much relied on to stick to the facts and not throw out wild rumors (if something is a rumor, he indicates as such).

I've even forgiven him for not knowing who Mike Dunlap was when Iowa was looking to replace Steve Alford...and for not letting me on the air to discuss Dunlap on the ONE AND ONLY time I ever called in to a radio talk show. Darn you Jon! (just kidding...you're all right)

This just in. Tomorrow it will be sunny...cloudy...partly cloudy. We have a chance of rain...maybe sleet....or it could be clear. Winds will range from 0-100 mph. Reporting from Austin, Dallas, Houston, Somewhere in Texas, Chip Brown.

OK can I call you a pawn then?

This a bit bit more than semantics.

Words mean things -- a journalist knows that. You are infering something with that specific word usage and we both know what it is.

You can call me what u want other than a liar or something that is profane. No big deal. I get called lots of things every day

Some posters here are blind to subtlety. There is a difference between REPEATING sourced information, and VERIFYING it. This is a distinction Jon makes, and Chip Brown does not.

He was wrong about the Pac-10 - remember he didn't just report the offer (true) but that it would be accepted (false). He was wrong about Baylor. He was wrong about A&M. He was wrong, embarrassingly wrong, when he stated repeatedly that Texas had NEVER TALKED to the Big Ten.

Yeah, you are way off on this statement. Everything Chip reported was true at the time of the report. He never said "its a done deal, Texas to the Pac10". He said Texas was given an invite...true. He said Texas is very strongly leaning to the Pac10...true. He said Texas was going to have a regents meeting to vote on joining the Pac10...true. Then he said the Big12 might not be dead afterall...true. Name one thing that he said that was false? You can't. His info was being spoonfed, but who cares? I loved following his updates on Twitter. Without Chip we all would have been in the dark. Jon seems a bit jealous (says he's not) and others are annoyed with Chip, but this was exactly the type of inside info the public rarely gets a taste of. It was great.

You can call me what u want other than a liar or something that is profane. No big deal. I get called lots of things every day

Well done -- way to dodge the important part of the post. Talk about picking nits. :)

You meant to infer that CB was a patsy ... that is why you used that particular word. Yet you haven't produced any material facts to support that type of allegation.

Absent facts to the contrary, I gotta say that to me your statement smacks of envy at the professional success of a colleague.

Well done -- way to dodge the important part of the post. Talk about picking nits. :)

You meant to infer that CB was a patsy ... that is why you used that particular word. Yet you haven't produced any material facts to support that type of allegation.

Absent facts to the contrary, I gotta say that to me your statement smacks of envy at the professional success of a colleague.

Don't know if it's my place to say this, but you're being flat out rude. You can disagree with Jon, and it seems like a lot of folks on this thread do. But there are a lot of us on the thread that completely agree with him, and quite a few of us have posted instances where CB was flat out wrong in a way that served the UT agenda. There's a legitimate debate to be had here about how reliable Chip Brown is and where he's getting information. I personally will not be reading his stuff anymore, because I feel like I just got played.

But I would never accuse someone who disagrees with me, especially the host of a free site I enjoy visiting, of jealousy. It's petty and rude.

This just in. Tomorrow it will be sunny...cloudy...partly cloudy. We have a chance of rain...maybe sleet....or it could be clear. Winds will range from 0-100 mph. Reporting from Austin, Dallas, Houston, Somewhere in Texas, Chip Brown.

Nicely done :) Chip Brown is DeLoss Dodds' *****, nothing more, nothing less.

OK can I call you a pawn then?

This a bit bit more than semantics.

Words mean things -- a journalist knows that. You are infering something with that specific word usage and we both know what it is.
ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Nicely done :) Chip Brown is DeLoss Dodds' *****, nothing more, nothing less.

You do realize, that Chip Brown will immediately refute this report tomorrow because he didn't break it first and it didn't come from directly from the University of Texas.

Yeah, you are way off on this statement. Everything Chip reported was true at the time of the report. He never said "its a done deal, Texas to the Pac10". He said Texas was given an invite...true. He said Texas is very strongly leaning to the Pac10...true. He said Texas was going to have a regents meeting to vote on joining the Pac10...true. Then he said the Big12 might not be dead afterall...true. Name one thing that he said that was false? You can't. His info was being spoonfed, but who cares? I loved following his updates on Twitter. Without Chip we all would have been in the dark. Jon seems a bit jealous (says he's not) and others are annoyed with Chip, but this was exactly the type of inside info the public rarely gets a taste of. It was great.

This guy gets it. Chip was reporting a story that was changing. People here that think that was mis information just don't get it.

How people on here can call Chip's reports wrong is baffling to me. Nobody has mentioned how wrong Joe Schad was.

No problem. We r all not always going to agree. I just think some people are either bored or like to debate with fence posts by nature. Hardly see this worth going.to the wall over. I'm done with it

Been reading your material for years now and still do/will. You've had exceptional coverage and reports during this fiasco. I was just stating that I felt the same after reading that particular article and before this thread was started. It instantly flagged envy from my perspective and I'm sure others will probably disagree. Just saying... Again, love your articles and not bashing you (believe it or not). Maybe could've been worded differently that's all.

I'm done. :p

Don't know if it's my place to say this, but you're being flat out rude. You can disagree with Jon, and it seems like a lot of folks on this thread do. But there are a lot of us on the thread that completely agree with him, and quite a few of us have posted instances where CB was flat out wrong in a way that served the UT agenda. There's a legitimate debate to be had here about how reliable Chip Brown is and where he's getting information. I personally will not be reading his stuff anymore, because I feel like I just got played.

But I would never accuse someone who disagrees with me, especially the host of a free site I enjoy visiting, of jealousy. It's petty and rude.

Jon is a very big boy who enjoys these types of discussions. I think he created this site just for this type of robust interaction. Jon does not mind being challenged on points as he is a very thoughtful guy and generally has valid, rational concepts supporting the positions he takes. This one just needed to be explored and vetted a bit. Nothing wrong, petty or rude with that exercise.

Jon is a very big boy who enjoys these types of discussions. I think he created this site just for this type of robust interaction. Jon does not mind being challenged on points as he is a very thoughtful guy and generally has valid, rational concepts supporting the positions he takes. This one just needed to be explored and vetted a bit. Nothing wrong, petty or rude with that exercise.

The only portion of this topic that is petty and rude is Pooker.

If what was reported... "Texas to the PAC 10" didn't happen then it wasn't an accurate report.

I don't doubt that someone told him that... but it doesn't make it true just because an "unnamed" source said it.

Yeah, you are way off on this statement. Everything Chip reported was true at the time of the report. He never said "its a done deal, Texas to the Pac10". He said Texas was given an invite...true. He said Texas is very strongly leaning to the Pac10...true. He said Texas was going to have a regents meeting to vote on joining the Pac10...true. Then he said the Big12 might not be dead afterall...true. Name one thing that he said that was false? You can't.

First read the earlier posts, which outline half-a-dozen. Assuming you did and still have doubts, I took the time to fetch some direct quotes from Chip's reporting:

"B12 South schools (TX, TTech, OU, OSU) confirm to OB with Neb move they go to Pac-10!!!" and later "Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma are waiting for a formal announcement by Nebraska about joining the Big Ten before announcing that they, too, are headed west to the Pac-10."

False. And that ain't just "strongly leaning" as you claim.

"a television package that will help Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M break the bank and provide a solid future for the seven other schools in the Big 12 has been reached to save the league."

False. No TV package has been reached. The only "bank breaking", we learned later, came from the little guys agreeing to donate the NE/CO buyout payments to TX/OK/TAMU.

"the seven remaining schools will collect between $14 million and $17 million in TV revenue in combined deals with ABC/ESPN and Fox..." "Both networks stepped forward and averted what could have been complete chaos in college realignment by putting forth a combined package that will push the Big 12 from a $78 million take in annual TV revenue to just less than $200 million"

Again false. There are no new deals or even promises from any network, just estimates from "outside consultants" (quote from Beebe) of what new deals might fetch - and several media analysts went on record today severely doubting them.

And finally, the repeated claims Texas was not even talking to the Big Ten, embarrassingly refuted by the FOIA emails out of Ohio State. FALSE.

Gosh, that seems to be more than "one thing", doesn't it? Look, I'm grateful for Chip Brown's reporting in that he clearly had a deep Texas source and reported what that source told him dutifully, which certainly gave us more of a picture than we'd have had otherwise, albeit biased. And I am not claiming he lied - he reported what his source(s) told him. And yes, it was a dynamic situation he was reporting on. But it's painfully obvious in retrospect that some of that material was known to be untrue or only partially true, fed to Chip to serve an agenda.

For the record, ESPN's Schad and that certain Kansas City TV station deserve bigger rasberries than Chip Brown. They weren't even close.

Last edited:
First read the earlier posts, which outline half-a-dozen. Assuming you did and still have doubts, I took the time to fetch some direct quotes from Chip's reporting:

"B12 South schools (TX, TTech, OU, OSU) confirm to OB with Neb move they go to Pac-10!!!" and later "Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma are waiting for a formal announcement by Nebraska about joining the Big Ten before announcing that they, too, are headed west to the Pac-10."

False. And that ain't just "strongly leaning" as you claim.

"a television package that will help Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M break the bank and provide a solid future for the seven other schools in the Big 12 has been reached to save the league."

False. No TV package has been reached. The only "bank breaking", we learned later, came from the little guys agreeing to donate the NE/CO buyout payments to TX/OK/TAMU.

"the seven remaining schools will collect between $14 million and $17 million in TV revenue in combined deals with ABC/ESPN and Fox..." "Both networks stepped forward and averted what could have been complete chaos in college realignment by putting forth a combined package that will push the Big 12 from a $78 million take in annual TV revenue to just less than $200 million"

Again false. There are no new deals or even promises from any network, just estimates from "outside consultants" (quote from Beebe) of what new deals might fetch - and several media analysts went on record today severely doubting them.

And finally, the repeated claims Texas was not even talking to the Big Ten, embarrassingly refuted by the FOIA emails out of Ohio State. FALSE.

Gosh, that seems to be more than "one thing", doesn't it? Look, I'm grateful for Chip Brown's reporting in that he clearly had a deep Texas source and reported what that source told him dutifully, which certainly gave us more of a picture than we'd have had otherwise, albeit biased. And I am not claiming he lied - he reported what his source(s) told him. And yes, it was a dynamic situation he was reporting on. But it's painfully obvious in retrospect that some of that material was known to be untrue or only partially true, fed to Chip to serve an agenda.

For the record, ESPN's Schad and that certain Kansas City TV station deserve bigger rasberries than Chip Brown. They weren't even close.

Amen!!!!!!
Glad I can delete him from my twitter feed now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts