Praise for Chip Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
First read the earlier posts, which outline half-a-dozen. Assuming you did and still have doubts, I took the time to fetch some direct quotes from Chip's reporting:

"B12 South schools (TX, TTech, OU, OSU) confirm to OB with Neb move they go to Pac-10!!!" and later "Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma are waiting for a formal announcement by Nebraska about joining the Big Ten before announcing that they, too, are headed west to the Pac-10."

False. And that ain't just "strongly leaning" as you claim.

"a television package that will help Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M break the bank and provide a solid future for the seven other schools in the Big 12 has been reached to save the league."

False. No TV package has been reached. The only "bank breaking", we learned later, came from the little guys agreeing to donate the NE/CO buyout payments to TX/OK/TAMU.

"the seven remaining schools will collect between $14 million and $17 million in TV revenue in combined deals with ABC/ESPN and Fox..." "Both networks stepped forward and averted what could have been complete chaos in college realignment by putting forth a combined package that will push the Big 12 from a $78 million take in annual TV revenue to just less than $200 million"

Again false. There are no new deals or even promises from any network, just estimates from "outside consultants" (quote from Beebe) of what new deals might fetch - and several media analysts went on record today severely doubting them.

And finally, the repeated claims Texas was not even talking to the Big Ten, embarrassingly refuted by the FOIA emails out of Ohio State. FALSE.

Gosh, that seems to be more than "one thing", doesn't it? Look, I'm grateful for Chip Brown's reporting in that he clearly had a deep Texas source and reported what that source told him dutifully, which certainly gave us more of a picture than we'd have had otherwise, albeit biased. And I am not claiming he lied - he reported what his source(s) told him. And yes, it was a dynamic situation he was reporting on. But it's painfully obvious in retrospect that some of that material was known to be untrue or only partially true, fed to Chip to serve an agenda.

For the record, ESPN's Schad and that certain Kansas City TV station deserve bigger rasberries than Chip Brown. They weren't even close.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do have a TV deal but are waiting to announce it for legal reasons. If the B12 signs a big deal now it would be easy for Nebraska or CU to claim that them leaving the conference was for the benefit of the B12 as it landed the new TV deal and thus their fee from leaving the conference should be waived. I'm not sure the exact wording of the B12 contract but I'm sure Texas and Oklahoma want to make sure they get their money.

I have thought more about this...as I don't like even a shred of hypocrisy.

In examining my thoughts and feelings on this, I think I just got fatigued of Texas, because they are quickly becoming one of my most hated teams in the sport...and Brown was the mouthpiece for them...so he wound up being a target fair or unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts