Praise for Chip Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody, but I would put my money on CB to be the first to know...

... only want Texas wants everybody to know. Meanwhile, he won't bother to double-check his information with other sources in other schools to make sure what he is 'reporting' is accurate, rather than just regurgitation.

... only want Texas wants everybody to know. Meanwhile, he won't bother to double-check his information with other sources in other schools to make sure what he is 'reporting' is accurate, rather than just regurgitation.

I think you need to talk to Joe Schad about reporting accurate info.

I think you need to talk to Joe Schad about reporting accurate info.

As has been pointed out NUMEROUS times in this thread (and others), Brown is not nearly as accurate as you believe he has been.

Quite honestly, I cannot understand your infatuation with him, nor your selective reading that allows you to ignore when his information has been wrong.

It still is a fluid situation. Who knows what might happen next? Nobody, but I would put my money on CB to be the first to know.

Brown wasn't even the first to report the Nebraska to Big Ten confirmation. The Omaha World-Herald did:

NU to Big Ten as early as Friday? - Omaha.com

By the way, the only evidence you have that this was a "fluid situation" is based on Chip Brown's reporting. For all we know, Texas never even considered leaving the B12. And in fact, that's where I'd put my money... 90% of this was posturing to get more money and more freedom to form their own network, which is exactly what they accomplished. FWIW, the Big Ten tried to do the same thing in regards to scaring Notre Dame into joining, and ND hasn't blinked.

Jon this quote smacks of professional jealousy. The guy was on the inside of maybe the biggest college football story of the year -- seems to me he was just doing his job.

If we are going to characterize all insiders doing their job as pawns -- what does that make you? Or Rob Howe? Or Tom Kakert? Chris Williams?

If you have additional information which suggests that this guy was more than a mouthpiece I would be interested in hearing you out on that. But this looks like petty name calling.

Rob does a great job.
Chris does a good job, when he is writing. (on air, that's a different story)
Tom Kakert is a borderline booster. Plain and simple.

Pooker, I just heard Tim Brando of CBS say that Chip was manipulated by Texas. I guess he is jealous of him too, right?

Probably is -- he didn't have the goods and Chip did. The media are notorious for eating their own.

I bet dollars to donuts that Tim Brando would have been all over this if offered the opportunity.

This holier than thou attitude just reaks of jealousy of being scooped by a no name new comer.

How do you expect the mainstream 'professional' journalists to react? Are they going to stand up and say good job? Do you actually think they want to invite new competition into their closed little fraternity? They are embarrassed by this and sit is showing.

You are a little too close to this one Jon to offer an objective opine.

Even though it's unpopular on this site. Chip Brown is starting to get the credit he deserves for being the source during one of the wildest college football stories in recent history. He was right on every step of the way. ESPN had to source Orangebloods during the entire duration of this expansion story, when they didn't, they were wrong.

Here is a good take on it. News Headlines

Have you asked him out on a date yet? You seem pretty infatuated w/the guy.

I'd like to think I would have used quite a bit of it, but not all of it, as Brown was contradicting his own reports sometimes in the same half of the day.

This is an odd statement as I seem to remember some recent situations where you made one statement that was at odds with another previously made.

Personally I think it is wrong to criticize reporting when you are in a fluid situation. As a wise man once said -- When the facts change -- I change my mind. I expect that is true in reporting also.

This is an odd statement as I seem to remember some recent situations where you made one statement that was at odds with another previously made.

Personally I think it is wrong to criticize reporting when you are in a fluid situation. As a wise man once said -- When the facts change -- I change my mind. I expect that is true in reporting also.

That was during the coaching search, and I started most everything I said with a 'buyer beware' sort of message, reminding people the nature of the topic we were covering, and how in the dark we were but passing along things I normally wouldnt post.

That was during the coaching search, and I started most everything I said with a 'buyer beware' sort of message, reminding people the nature of the topic we were covering, and how in the dark we were but passing along things I normally wouldnt post.

Thanks for the clarification -- but do you really think anyone accepted CB's thoughts as being 'written in stone'? I did not -- so much was happening so fast it was hard to keep up. Obviously it was an ever changing situation.

Sounds to me from your explanation that you have a difference with his style in reporting in that you prefer to caveat your reporting/thoughts. He obviously did not do that as well as you would like. That seems to me to be a bit different situation than calling some one out as a pawn.

Thanks for the clarification -- but do you really think anyone accepted CB's thoughts as being 'written in stone'? I did not -- so much was happening so fast it was hard to keep up. Obviously it was an ever changing situation.

Sounds to me from your explanation that you have a difference with his style in reporting in that you prefer to caveat your reporting/thoughts. He obviously did not do that as well as you would like. That seems to me to be a bit different situation than calling some one out as a pawn.

Shame on Jon for choosing integrity over interest.

Call it what you want. You can get paid being a pawn if the situation is right. Chip did, and as I said all along, good for him if that is what he wants to do with his career. You are blowing this way out of proportion and picking nits right about now over semantics

Shame on Jon for choosing integrity over interest.

I wouldnt call it an integrity thing. There are different ways to do things...he chose a way with this that was pretty transparent to people following along. I pretty much only follow media folks on twitter...and the those that share their thoughts on this process were fairly in unison...and had far more harsh things to say than I did

Again, quoting Chip Brown's twitter:

Texas will announce its plans to join the Pac-10 after its regents meet next Tuesday, source confirm to Orangebloods.com.

How is that fluid? They either made the decision to go Pac-10 or they didn't. He never reported that they were considering leaving, or in discussions, or would leave if A&M did. He said they were gone.

If you want credit for breaking big stories, you have to own it when you flub something. CB was either misled or misinformed at that particular stage in the process, and if I were him I'd think seriously about whom I should trust. Unless of course he just wants to pass along threats from the UT athletic department to get the rest of the schools to capitulate. Look objectively at his twitter account and tell me what seems most likely to you.

Chip Brown is great at one thing -- getting people to learn his name. He was terribly off with the vast majority of his information, but he got a lot of people around the country to repeat his name.

Again, quoting Chip Brown's twitter:

Texas will announce its plans to join the Pac-10 after its regents meet next Tuesday, source confirm to Orangebloods.com.

How is that fluid? They either made the decision to go Pac-10 or they didn't. He never reported that they were considering leaving, or in discussions, or would leave if A&M did. He said they were gone.

If you want credit for breaking big stories, you have to own it when you flub something. CB was either misled or misinformed at that particular stage in the process, and if I were him I'd think seriously about whom I should trust. Unless of course he just wants to pass along threats from the UT athletic department to get the rest of the schools to capitulate. Look objectively at his twitter account and tell me what seems most likely to you.

If the Beebe plan didn't come in last minute with a truckload of money for Texas or if the Pac 16 would have let Texas have their own TV deal, it would have happened. I don't doubt that Texas thought they were going to the Pac 16. Colorado thought it so much that they jumped the gun to get there, so they wouldn't be left in the cold.

Again the situation changed time and time again.

Call it what you want. You can get paid being a pawn if the situation is right. Chip did, and as I said all along, good for him if that is what he wants to do with his career. You are blowing this way out of proportion and picking nits right about now over semantics

OK can I call you a pawn then?

This a bit bit more than semantics.

Words mean things -- a journalist knows that. You are infering something with that specific word usage and we both know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts