Powell

hwks1

Whats the deal with 22? This staff can't figure out a way to use the fastest guy on the team? We don't even know if he can catch?????

If we had a good QB #22 would have had six on that long pass. He was simply too fast for our weak arm QB

Yes. Need to pair him next year with Scheel for deep patterns. Won't happen though, I know.....

this was the most disappointing thing for me. only one deep shot to Powell. 15 practices before the bowl game and apparently no plan at using the fastest guy on the team.

The problem is Powell can really only be used in two ways.... The fly route and the screens.

It's tough to catch a defense off guard when they know this. We had our shot and jake under threw it.

My issues with the offense as others have stated were too many carries for Weisman bullock and not enough or canzeri who was productive.

12 receptions on the year and NONE in the last 4 games? Clearly he is not like his teammates at this position, speedwise.

He has always looked like an afterthought in this offense instead of a 'go to'.

Maybe he doesn't catch the ball well? How would we know, with only 12 receptions in 13 games.

He had one on one coverage a couple times in the game. There are several patterns he can execute in that situation.

1) Back shoulder throw (we don't do it)
2) Deep out where he uses speed to get the corner to turn his hips. (we don't do it)
3) Deep crossing patterns (occasionally do this)

So you got the deep ball once...then you don't go back to it. Crazy. Come on Greg...Hell, LSU ran several plays again that were successful in the same drive. I dont' get it.

Wonder if he an field punts?

I'm fine keeping KMM back there. He's a good returner and made a nice play today back there. Guys who actually field punts with the intent to return them will muff them occasionally.

A properly thrown ball meant a TD for Powell and possibly a different outcome in this game. The play call was there at the right time. Powell had the guy beat, but he had to wait for the underthrown ball.

If the pass had been there, we'd be talking about Powell's awesome long TD catch.

He isn't all that good a football player. He was getting lots of snaps during the middle of the B1G schedule and can't get open.

Too bad Beathard wasn't on the field for that early throw, it would have been six.

A properly thrown ball meant a TD for Powell and possibly a different outcome in this game. The play call was there at the right time. Powell had the guy beat, but he had to wait for the underthrown ball.

If the pass had been there, we'd be talking about Powell's awesome long TD catch.

The ball was a very wet and heavy in the first half. It looked hard for both teams to through an accurate pass. The second half it looked like the rain had stopped and the ball was being thrown better.

The problem is Powell can really only be used in two ways.... The fly route and the screens.

It's tough to catch a defense off guard when they know this. We had our shot and jake under threw it.

My issues with the offense as others have stated were too many carries for Weisman bullock and not enough or canzeri who was productive.

Riddick always under throws it, so either don't run it or play Beathard. Riddick is done. He can't throw the long ball. Fatal in the pro set.

Bullock is a waste of plays, unless you enjoy watching a guy dance around in the backfield.

Riddick always under throws it, so either don't run it or play Beathard. Riddick is done. He can't throw the long ball. Fatal in the pro set.

Bullock is a waste of plays, unless you enjoy watching a guy dance around in the backfield.

in a nutshell

It was underthrown but better receiver steals that from the DB. Powell is a one trick pony.

I'm fine keeping KMM back there. He's a good returner and made a nice play today back there. Guys who actually field punts with the intent to return them will muff them occasionally.

What? Tim Dwight, Desean Jackson, Percy Harvin, etc... all say hello.

It was underthrown but better receiver steals that from the DB. Powell is a one trick pony.

More physical receivers steal that ball. But small speedsters won't do that very often; that doesn't mean they're not effective at doing other things. Unless you're a guy like Megatron or Andre Johnson, there are some things that certain receivers won't be able to do. Powell isn't going to win a lot of jump balls, the same way Jake Hillyer isn't going to take a tunnel screen for a 75-yard score.

What? Tim Dwight, Desean Jackson, Percy Harvin, etc... all say hello.

Those last two have both muffed punts in their careers (to young to remember if Dwight ever muffed one). Guys who look to return will tend to take a few more chances, which means you run a greater risk of miscues.

If you prefer, I suppose we can go back to always fair catching or just letting the ball roll every time. I'll take KMM over that any day.

It's well noted that Powell is a speed merchant and needs to be utilized more in the offense. I hope we can find some more speedsters when he leaves after next season.

The QB position is still a mystery. Rudock is the starter, but what about giving the other QB's an opportunity. Beathard played well when I saw him this year. Would like to see what Sokol can do? Got Shimonick and Joyce on roster, too? Wiegers will be coming into the fold for 2014 & Beneventi for 2015?

Latest posts