Powell

Those last two have both muffed punts in their careers (to young to remember if Dwight ever muffed one). Guys who look to return will tend to take a few more chances, which means you run a greater risk of miscues.

If you prefer, I suppose we can go back to always fair catching or just letting the ball roll every time. I'll take KMM over that any day.

What are you talking about, KMM botched the punt today and you are singing his praises. Powell is the fastest guy on the team and currently does very little with that speed. Nobody is talking about fair catches or letting the ball roll, people are talking about putting a possible game breaker back to return punts or kicks. There will always be a risk when returning punts, even the most sured handed players, like wes welker have botched punts.

What are you talking about, KMM botched the punt today and you are singing his praises. Powell is the fastest guy on the team and currently does very little with that speed. Nobody is talking about fair catches or letting the ball roll, people are talking about putting a possible game breaker back to return punts or kicks. There will always be a risk when returning punts, even the most sured handed players, like wes welker have botched punts.

He's also not got much experience returning punts. He didn't do it in JUCO, anyway.

KMM had a good year returning punts for us, and I don't see much need to make a change back there. I'm defending him based on his entire body of work this year, which was pretty good. The lack of a true game breaker on punt returns was not the issue today, or at any other point this season. This is just a case of people ******** about anything and everything because they're ****** we lost the game.

Having speed doesn't make you a good football player. A good football player would have recognized that ball was underthrown and tried to prevent an INT. Yes, Powell is fast - and if he was a well-rounded player, Greg Davis would probably try to do more with him. But at this point, all he's apparently good for is an occasional fly pattern where the ball is almost always under thrown.

The point is, Powell needs to bigger part of the offense.

Assuming he's not just a slightly better version of Paul Chaney, yes. I don't want to see him on the field if he really can't do much but run really fast.

Powell can't be used as an every down receiver because he is small and can't block. The main areas he is going to be successful are underneath stuff where he can make people miss (but this is where our talented TE's operate, not much room for Powell here), deep balls (with a quarterback who can't make that throw-at least couldn't this year), and tunnel/bubble screens. He's not an every down receiver because he simply is not big or physical enough to play the power brand of football Iowa runs.

He's also not got much experience returning punts. He didn't do it in JUCO, anyway.

KMM had a good year returning punts for us, and I don't see much need to make a change back there. I'm defending him based on his entire body of work this year, which was pretty good. The lack of a true game breaker on punt returns was not the issue today, or at any other point this season. This is just a case of people ******** about anything and everything because they're ****** we lost the game.

Sorry forgot you are always right and everyone else is always wrong. No one is crying they are just trying to understand why a burner can't be used in multiple facets of the game. And that key botch this year for KMM was huge in today's game.

Sorry forgot you are always right and everyone else is always wrong. No one is crying they are just trying to understand why a burner can't be used in multiple facets of the game. And that key botch this year for KMM was huge in today's game.

If KMM doesn't muff that punt and we'd won the game, how many people would be clamoring for Powell to return punts? Very few, if any. Again, this is a case of people throwing spaghetti on the wall and looking for something besides the obvious to stick. The problem was the lack of separation created by receivers and getting owned up front. Not punt returns.

Case in point: KMM gets a big punt return to set Iowa up with great field position. The offense promptly does nothing with it.

And of course I always think I'm right, until I'm convinced otherwise. That's true for every single person on this board. That's the definition of an opinion.

If KMM doesn't muff that punt and we'd won the game, how many people would be clamoring for Powell to return punts? Very few, if any. Again, this is a case of people throwing spaghetti on the wall and looking for something besides the obvious to stick. The problem was the lack of separation created by receivers and getting owned up front. Not punt returns.

Case in point: KMM gets a big punt return to set Iowa up with great field position. The offense promptly does nothing with it.

Yep...

Having speed doesn't make you a good football player. A good football player would have recognized that ball was underthrown and tried to prevent an INT. Yes, Powell is fast - and if he was a well-rounded player, Greg Davis would probably try to do more with him. But at this point, all he's apparently good for is an occasional fly pattern where the ball is almost always under thrown.

The interception was a better result for Iowa than an incomplete.

Bullock is a waste of plays, unless you enjoy watching a guy dance around in the backfield.

I rarely like to single out people on the team, but I do wonder why he is out there. He is supposedly a 3rd-down feature back to be used on passing downs, but I saw nothing today in that vein that told me we should be using him. He looked badly overmatched.

I rarely like to single out people on the team, but I do wonder why he is out there. He is supposedly a 3rd-down feature back to be used on passing downs, but I saw nothing today in that vein that told me we should be using him. He looked badly overmatched.

If Daniels develops vision, blocking protection, and pad level...Bullock will be slot or special teams, maybe occaisional 3rd down. He has a place, just not at Rb.

I think we saw the reason why Iowa was one of maybe three other schools that recruited him out of JUCO. He was the leading WR last year, and yet had offers from Ohio.

Right no he's major whiff from our coaching staff. He could develop next year, but the reason you go the JUCO route is to provide immediate help. He did help us beat MN tho.

The problem is Powell can really only be used in two ways.... The fly route and the screens.

I'd love to see him isolated in the slot in five wide situations and just run an easy slant to him. He probly draws a safety there...especially if you run that group in on first down.

Latest posts