Powell

Those of you screaming for Powell are truly showing your football ignorance. Go to the games. Watch him. He can't get open. He can't block. He is really fast. He hasn't show lateral quickness and moves at all.

Like someone else pointed out, there is a reason that Iowa is one of the few schools that were interested in him.

Grigsby 2.0. Chaney 2.0. Whatever you want to say.

What does that matter? Its not like the big ten is a tough conference compared to the rest of the country.

My point was that you see those little guys go over the middle much more often in the Pac-12 and Big 12, where there isn't much defense being played.

My point was that you see those little guys go over the middle much more often in the Pac-12 and Big 12, where there isn't much defense being played.

Are you sure, Ed Hinkle, Anthony Gonzalez, Dane Sanzenbacher, etc, etc, etc say hello, at least you come with conviction when making a false point.

Are you sure, Ed Hinkle, Anthony Gonzalez, Dane Sanzenbacher, etc, etc, etc say hello, at least you come with conviction when making a false point.

Those guys were all bigger than Powell, by quite a bit. Hinkel and Gonzalez were both listed at 190 or more, and Sanzenbacher was listed at 184; they all came pretty close to living up to those listings. Powell is listed at 175, but he's really maybe 165 soaking wet. There aren't many B1G receivers who go over the middle very often at that size.

The other thing to consider is that Iowa and OSU, when the guys you listed were playing, had legitimate deep threats to open up the underneath routes. Powell doesn't have a Santonio Holmes, Devier Posey or Clinton Solomon doing that for him. Most of us were hoping HE would be that guy and open things up for KMM/etc. underneath. He can't be both.

The problem is Powell can really only be used in two ways.... The fly route and the screens.

It's tough to catch a defense off guard when they know this. We had our shot and jake under threw it.

My issues with the offense as others have stated were too many carries for Weisman bullock and not enough or canzeri who was productive.

Do we really know this though? I think it can probably be assumed since they didn't have him run a real route all year. But maybe he could be a real receiver. Either way, if he has that ability, they would have given him a chance.

Speaking of this, our talent at WR is bad. KMM is pretty good. Our TEs are good. But when we threw a slant to #89 and he wasn't even looking... I almost lost it? If you're an LSU DB and you line up across from number 89, you're laughing to yourself

Those guys were all bigger than Powell, by quite a bit. Hinkel and Gonzalez were both listed at 190 or more, and Sanzenbacher was listed at 184; they all came pretty close to living up to those listings. Powell is listed at 175, but he's really maybe 165 soaking wet. There aren't many B1G receivers who go over the middle very often at that size.

The other thing to consider is that Iowa and OSU, when the guys you listed were playing, had legitimate deep threats to open up the underneath routes. Powell doesn't have a Santonio Holmes, Devier Posey or Clinton Solomon doing that for him. Most of us were hoping HE would be that guy and open things up for KMM/etc. underneath. He can't be both.[/
QUOTE]

Your posts are like a merry go round, they just spin around in circles...

The other thing to consider is that Iowa and OSU, when the guys you listed were playing, had legitimate deep threats to open up the underneath routes. Powell doesn't have a Santonio Holmes, Devier Posey or Clinton Solomon doing that for him. Most of us were hoping HE would be that guy and open things up for KMM/etc. underneath. He can't be both.[/
QUOTE]

Your posts are like a merry go round, they just spin around in circles...

Explain how that's running in circles? You're not making an apples to apples comparison. Defenses can sit on the underneath and intermediate routes against Iowa, because we haven't gone deep effectively. That means there is less space to operate underneath, and a guy like Powell isn't going to just run free like you see in the Big 12. Defenses couldn't do that to OSU or Iowa when Hinkel was playing. There's a reason that our leading receiver this year had 388 yards.

And besides, how do we know that they haven't tried using Powell in other ways during practice, and he just wasn't executing? Oh, I forgot. The coaching staff always lets the good players rot on the bench.

Whats the deal with 22? This staff can't figure out a way to use the fastest guy on the team? We don't even know if he can catch?????

If we had a good QB #22 would have had six on that long pass. He was simply too fast for our weak arm QB

Did he come to Iowa this year!? Wow I guess I missed that I NEVER see him on the field!

What a MISSED opp by Jake underthrew him badly

Latest posts