Potential Grad Transfer - NIU DT Jack Heflin

NikeHawk21

Just entered the portal. Apparently grew up an Iowa fan in a family full of Hawkeyes. Coach Bell started following on Twitter.

He’s listed at 6’4/319 and Pro Football Focus has him has an Honorable Mention All American last year. He was 2nd Team All MAC.

I’m not entirely sure what our scholarship situation looks like, but I think we should be all in here. DT is definitely a question mark spot next year and this is a big time transfer. He will have a lot of suitors. This will be an interesting one to follow.

Oh, man. That would be a real big get and very much needed, as I'm a little worried about our D-line for next year. I'm sure they can find room for an honorable mention All-American! Thanks for the info, NikeHawk21.

Oh, man. That would be a real big get and very much needed, as I'm a little worried about our D-line for next year. I'm sure they can find room for an honorable mention All-American! Thanks for the info, NikeHawk21.
I can't see any reason not to offer him. He could step in right away which would be huge.
There was an ESPN article that ranked him as a Top 10 returning interior Dlinemen in all of college football for next year. Unless we can’t make the scholarship situation work I see no reason why we aren’t all in on this kid.

Looks like he’s also following Coach Doyle on twitter as well. There is going to be a lot of interest here but again given how big of an Iowa fan it appears he is, you would have to like our chances if we go for him.

Wouldn’t he have to sit out a year? I have been on record saying we need a DT from either a Grad Transfer or JUCO, so this is fantastic news ... as long as he could play this year ( assuming anyone plays this year).

Article says he was a Sophomore in 2018. Unless he was a Redshirt sophomore...

Should Iowa offer this kid a scholarship? Is that a trick question? I'm leery of things that seem so obvious.

Not to get too far ahead of myself here, but if you plug him into the DLine:

Golston- 6’5 / 270
Nixon- 6’3 / 309
Heflin- 6’4 / 319
Waggoner- 6’5 / 270

That should be a very strong unit against the run. So much so that you really wouldn’t have to worry about how much you play 4-2-5. With those four plus Colbert and likely Niemann we should be in really good shape to stop the run.

From there just need Phil Parker to figure out how to generate some pass rush which I think he will. Golston, Evans, Nixon is a good starting point of the pass rushing package.

Wouldn’t he have to sit out a year? I have been on record saying we need a DT from either a Grad Transfer or JUCO, so this is fantastic news ... as long as he could play this year ( assuming anyone plays this year).

Article says he was a Sophomore in 2018. Unless he was a Redshirt sophomore...

I don't believe Grad Transfers sit out a year as they have completed their academic requirements.

Does anyone have a breakdown of how many scholarships are currently filled? Think I was seeing on the Tweeter that we're at 86 currently, depending upon how Michael Lois' situation pans out. Another guy counted 88? Limit is 85, right?

Side note: I was reading that they're trying to talk Caleb Shudak into staying and possibly putting him on scholarship?

Considering attrition and guys leaving early for The League on Dline last few years, this would be a great addition

Still trying to reach Jack. I'm sure quite a few folks in the media are trying to do the same.

I checked out his Twitter and these are some of the schools whose coaches he's following:

Iowa
Missouri
Louisville
Michigan
BC
Arizona
Rutgers
Oregon
Washington State
Iowa State
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
VA Tech
NC State
USC
Texas Tech
K-State
Penn State
Illinois
Baylor
Northwestern
UNC
Minnesota
Purdue
Nebraska

He's following multiple coaches from many of these schools, including Iowa.

Still trying to reach Jack. I'm sure quite a few folks in the media are trying to do the same.

I checked out his Twitter and these are some of the schools whose coaches he's following:

Iowa
Missouri
Louisville
Michigan
BC
Arizona
Rutgers
Oregon
Washington State
Iowa State
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
VA Tech
NC State
USC
Texas Tech
K-State
Penn State
Illinois
Baylor
Northwestern
UNC
Minnesota
Purdue
Nebraska

He's following multiple coaches from many of these schools, including Iowa.
Do you think if Iowa really wants him they can make the scholarship situation work itself out?

To me I think if we want him and can make it work he will be a hawk.

Latest posts