Potential Grad Transfer - NIU DT Jack Heflin

Talk about just what the Dr ordered. We could sure use a big run stuffing man in the middle and at almost 320 he'll be exactly that. Can't have enough depth on the Dline in general either. Great pickup he should fit right in and have a role ready made for him.

Talk about just what the Dr ordered. We could sure use a big run stuffing man in the middle and at almost 320 he'll be exactly that. Can't have enough depth on the Dline in general either. Great pickup he should fit right in and have a role ready made for him.
I think both he and Nixon start and play the majority of the snaps. The interesting thing is while both are over 300 pounds both guys seem pretty athletic. I’m excited for the potential there.

One of the things he mentioned was to be able to hear the crowd at Kinnick when he comes out of the tunnel. Well, possibly not at all this year, which is too bad, but we will be cheering from our living rooms!

Between him and Nixon eating up the inside, I expect we will have an attacking defense when needed. Better not get behind the chains because this defense looks to definitely be able to pin their ears back and get off the field.

Yes, this could be a great pickup and great for him. But the jury is still out about crowds in the stands for this new player to hear them roar. There is so much money around college and pro football.that they have to buy and use daily the quick result diagnostic tests on the players to make it safe for them to play and not have contagion go through the team and coaches.

We will need to see how Heflin's talent or performance translates to the Big Ten...but with the size and the fact that he's a grown man at 22...my guess is that he handles the transition well. He may even excel. I just can't stress enough how huge it is getting Cronk and Heflin. You are bringing in developed guys...who most likely...after 4-5 years in programs...know whats expected...and how to be successful. Cronk, in particular, has faced B10 defensive ends...and excelled. He was a projected all-Big Ten performer. If he's 100%....he's playing is my guess. And if either of these guys don't start...that means we have had some guys step up big time.

You now have considerable depth. If one of our tackles goes down on either side of the ball...your depth is so much better and the drop off so much less with these two guys in the fold.

It's exciting because the upside is high for all the projected top 7 players. If the OL goes:

Jackson
Kallenberger/Britt
Linderbaum
Banwart/Shott
Cronk

Those are three guys at the tackles and the center position that are projected all big ten 1st or second team. The other four all have experience and will be bigger and better.

The one thing...Petras is going to have time to throw. These guys have all shown they can protect the QB. That's just huge when you go on the road at Minnesota, Ohio State and Penn State. They can handle keeping the QB clean.

Latest posts