Potential Grad Transfer - NIU DT Jack Heflin

I don’t think it can be understated how big our two transfer pickups are this year. A 325 pound offensive tackle with 40 career starts at a B1G school and now a 319 pound defensive tackle that was an honorable mention All American last year by PFF despite playing only 9 games.

Football is a game won in the trenches and these were two literally and figuratively big pickups at positions of need.

The DLine went from a possible question mark to a group we can feel pretty good about.

It's hard to imagine it going much better than adding Cronk and Heflin.
It’s like making two very good free agent signings. Much needed when we’ve had to replace tons of early NFL attrition the last few years.

The nice thing is Cronk and Heflin will both likely hear their names called in the NFL draft with an Iowa next to it so it adds to the the Iowa NFL Draft pedigree which helps recruiting.

What a pick up! This was my biggest area of concern for next year and they filled it in a very big way. Proven products in Nixon at 309, Golston on one side and adding Heflin at 319!'

Who do you all think ends up coming out on top at the other DE spot?

Wow...what a get...in a position of need too. That's awesome. Cronk and Heflin. This is huge. When you are solid everywhere else...with depth...and I think we are...two veterans who everyone rates highly can't be underestimated.

Playoffs...are you talking playoffs? LOL.

https://qctimes.com/sports/college/...cle_ca6b4f61-2fd6-5ff9-8b0f-b57b6add815b.html

Article about his hawkeye fandom from when NIU played at Kinnick in 2018. The quotes in there make you love Iowa’s chances should the coaches want to bring him on board.
Awesome story. Could NIU block it since we're playing them this year? Would love to see a kid have his dream come true and be able to play for the Hawks!

Nm, looks like I was late to the party. I love feel-good stories like this, great win for both Iowa and Heflin!

What a pick up! This was my biggest area of concern for next year and they filled it in a very big way. Proven products in Nixon at 309, Golston on one side and adding Heflin at 319!'

If I were a betting man, which I am and not very good at it, I would put my money on Waggoner. Joe Evans will see some time, too, I think. Maybe Van Valkenberg? Who would be the other options to lock down that other spot?

I think Waggoner has the leg up. He has the size so be a good run stopper on early downs, I heard they were toying with kicking him inside (prior to adding Heflin). So he can stop the runs on early downs then we bring in a pass rushing package with Evans on third and distance.

I think Waggoner has the leg up. He has the size so be a good run stopper on early downs, I heard they were toying with kicking him inside (prior to adding Heflin). So he can stop the runs on early downs then we bring in a pass rushing package with Evans on third and distance.

What about Lee? Are they grooming him to play outside or inside? I thought I had read one time that KF was really high on him like he was with Linderbaum?

And we have an unproven Q? Who cares. We're going to fucking kick ass this year and steal a few road wins with our schedule, just because of our D

What about Lee? Are they grooming him to play outside or inside? I thought I had read one time that KF was really high on him like he was with Linderbaum?
I had heard he was playing inside but I’m not sure how much weight he’s been able to put on. I’m high on him as well. Maybe with Heflin he will stick outside.

It sounds like Kelvin Bell really wants his Dline to be versatile enough to play both spots so we shall see how that plays out. I’m glad we have a few 300 pounders on the inside this year.

Latest posts