Post Mortem: 7-3

Look, at some point, one has to look at the coaches. Who is the QB coach? Who is the offensive coordinator? Not a coincidence that QB sucks and offense sucks.
It is a yearly pattern. D is wonderful, O is atrocious. Not the kids, for sure. They could use a coach like Phil or LeVar to lead them.

I’ve been a defense and special teams guy for years, but I simply don’t see how they can carry this offense. Something has to change offensively for this team to be competitive. I really hope I’m wrong but my optimism is showing less signs of life then the offense was today.

Hawk defense is going to need time to recharge on the sidelines, much more than an occasional first down
or three-and-outs most of the time will have them returning to the battleground rather fatigued

Tory Taylor's expertise will certainly help and certainly saved the day yesterday, pinning jackrabbits close
to their bunny holes

Big Lebowski Jeff Bridges GIF - Big Lebowski Jeff Bridges Dude - Discover &  Share GIFs

I’ve been a defense and special teams guy for years, but I simply don’t see how they can carry this offense. Something has to change offensively for this team to be competitive. I really hope I’m wrong but my optimism is showing less signs of life then the offense was today.

Does the KF philosophy dip below the 8 win mark? That's the million dollar question. Win 8+ and everything remains the same.

This game was a topic of discussion on two national podcasts. Check out “The Audible” and “ the college football inquirer” I was surprised how much time they spent on that game

Yes the Olilne was really bad especially the right side including the center. Petras was horrible, there were multiple times where he could have stepped up and never did. If you watched the ND vs OSU game you saw 2 QBs getting the ball out of their hand in around 2 seconds consistently. The announcers even spent time talking about it.

I was never buying the preseason hype about "getting the ball out of the QB's hand quicker" and how that was going to dramatically improve Iowa's offense. How? All that means is that you're throwing more 5-7 yard routes...which allows the defenses to pack it in -- not only against Iowa's run game, but now ALSO it's passing game. Which is exactly what happened vs SDState. On most plays, other than 3rd & long, their defense had 9-11 guys within 7 yds of the LOS. Even LaPorta was tightly covered on 5 yd 'out routes' with no deep threat. Iowa's WR #10, our only WR starter playing, time after time was lined up on 1-on-1 coverage against a Rabbit CB up playing close when he was split wide...any offensive scheme with an experienced QB like Petras would allow the QB to audible or hand-signal to the WR and have him run a 'go' route or something that could beat an FCS corner...or get a PI penalty. Never happened.
Also, the lack of offensive misdirection plays is stunning. 75% of the fake run/roll out plays worked, and the one jet sweep gained 11 yards...yet they only ran 4 of those plays total that I can remember.
I guess this is all KF's way to get the Cyclones overconfident.

Latest posts