Portal opens 4-15

The Charlie Jones effect is still lingering. Any WR looking to transfer does not look at Iowa as the place to get better. At least Jeff Brahm is gone from Purdue, so don't have to worry about him stealing any more WR"s
Is this the Charlie Jones effect or the Brian Ferentz effect??? I think the issues go well beyond usage and targets.

Got a feeling every time Cade talks a player into checking out Iowa Brian shows up and screws the pooch, very "Glengerry glen ross" like. Maybe have the players over and throw a blanket over Brian and have him stand in the corner. Maybe they don't notice him.
Or maybe they could use Brian as a pinata at recruiting events... May be popular with players or those with younger siblings.

When you recruit an OL you have to project that he will grow. When sophmores are thrown into starting they often have not grown to full potential. Hopefully that is the problem last year and that this year will be better. It has to get better.

BF/KF don't have much to sell a WR in the same way Fran has trouble selling to a PG. There is no demonstrated success there on the field or moving to the next level as they have at other positions.

That said, there has to be a hungry WR who is a marginal high D1 prospect who might take a small amount of NIL money and a schollie to have a chance at playing snaps at a Big10 school with a QB that has a good track record of completing passes. We need more depth in that room. They can find it.

BF/KF don't have much to sell a WR in the same way Fran has trouble selling to a PG. There is no demonstrated success there on the field or moving to the next level as they have at other positions.

That said, there has to be a hungry WR who is a marginal high D1 prospect who might take a small amount of NIL money and a schollie to have a chance at playing snaps at a Big10 school with a QB that has a good track record of completing passes. We need more depth in that room. They can find it.
And be at a program with a history of honoring its scholarships and being able to finish a degree. That alone should be a good sell to any parent wanting their kid to actually get an education. I'm sure KF has looked at places like Iowa Western, but there's got to be some kid with undeveloped raw talent who can slide under the radar.

As the second portal window closes, I am surprised and discouraged we would stand pat with the hand we have at WR.

As the second portal window closes, I am surprised and discouraged we would stand pat with the hand we have at WR.
But who would you offer and why would they come here over another school? Worst offense in college football over the past several seasons, no history of WR success, no history of NFL WRs, arctic circle during the season…pretty rough sell vs anyone else out there.

Things would have to change big time before we start getting WR help from the portal.

But who would you offer and why would they come here over another school? Worst offense in college football over the past several seasons, no history of WR success, no history of NFL WRs, arctic circle during the season…pretty rough sell vs anyone else out there.

Things would have to change big time before we start getting WR help from the portal.

Everything you just stated is 1000% true, however; they literally need bodies in that receiver room. You have Ragini, Vines and everyone’s favorite Bostic, btw can’t stay healthy. I can’t name another receiver without looking at a roster.

Everything you just stated is 1000% true, however; they literally need bodies in that receiver room. You have Ragini, Vines and everyone’s favorite Bostic, btw can’t stay healthy. I can’t name another receiver without looking at a roster.
It's been two weeks now, and looking at the portal as it stands this morning you can see everything's been picked through. Players that are still in there after 2 weeks do you want them anyway? It's going to be 99% guys who didn't get any playing time anywhere else, and that also means there's no tape other than their high school stuff.

At least the guys in the room right now are a known quantity by our staff. Eichmann looks pretty good and there were a couple other guys who got decent reps in the spring practice, I don't think I'd want to run them and others off by bringing in some transfer no one else in the country wanted and who you don't know anything about, just for them to sit the bench.

If we just need bodies, we have bodies.

Other than that, this season is a dice roll betting the house that McNamara, All, Lachey, and hopefully Ragaini (not hopeful there myself) can at least catch a few balls to set up the run, and then like it's been for the better part of a decade you rely on Phil Parker to win the games.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that this football team is not going to win games with offense....that was never the plan and still isn't. The #1 job of Iowa's offense in the BF era is to score a few points and get in FG range consistently, try not to turn the ball over, and let Phil Parker lead the show. Phil and Norm Parker have done more to contribute to Iowa football wins than Kurt or Brain Farence combined.

In Phil we trust.

Is the MSU WR (Coleman) too much to hope for?
Aren't they all at this point? I wish that the Iowa coaches would realize that with the portal and NIL that they could fix this glaring hole by just targeting one of the handful of stud receivers out there and throwing the kitchen sink at him.

Our sales pitch is fairly straight forward. We need a #1 receiver. He'll get the meat and potatoes of the targets (not that that's a shit ton but the opportunities will be there) We have a good QB now that's accurate. We offer a stable program that he could be a major part of helping win games with. Show him Brandon Smith and ISM highlights.

We just need to be self aware that to convince a kid like that to come here it'll also take breaking the NIL bank and winning a bidding war. Would that be 'fair' to some of the other kids we've gotten and all that? Of course not but life sure as hell isn't fair and that's exactly how it works. Supply/demand is the biggest factor in how the economy works isn't it? Well we are in large demand here and we need to realize that we actually have a way to fix it

I have no way to judge who is left in the portal and whether there is any quality there. I assume it is picked over and what is left is not awesome. But, there has to be a good kid, not overly-talented but who can play, who will work hard, and just wants a shot at D1 playing time that could build some depth in the room. The law of averages say that kid exists. Sigh.....

I have no way to judge who is left in the portal and whether there is any quality there. I assume it is picked over and what is left is not awesome. But, there has to be a good kid, not overly-talented but who can play, who will work hard, and just wants a shot at D1 playing time that could build some depth in the room. The law of averages say that kid exists. Sigh.....

A couple of productive guys just entered in the last few days: MSU's returning leading receiver, and a BYU guy with more productivity than anyone on Iowa's roster.

If you want to see a real Portal mess, check out Colorado.

Neon has like #13 players left from the roster he inherited.

Some of it was planned I guess, but some of the names leaving were ones who transferred in, including one from his old school.

at some point The WR coach, Brian and Kirk need to look each other in the eye and get honest about what has happened
It's pretty simple and I think everyone already knows, including the Iowa staff. No upper tier WR recruits want to come here.

Let's look at it from the other direction...

Name 1 reason an upper tier WR would want to come to Iowa over another school.

It's a chicken/egg problem.

I'm seeing OL players being picked up by other P5 programs. But Iowa isn't being metnioned for even offers. whats' going on?

If you want to see a real Portal mess, check out Colorado.

Neon has like #13 players left from the roster he inherited.

Some of it was planned I guess, but some of the names leaving were ones who transferred in, including one from his old school.
It was planned to an extent. He told the kids on his first day on campus: "You guys sucked, I am bringing in my own guys, including my son, so hit the portal." He didn't mean everyone though and he has lost some good kids the last few weeks with his brash style.

I am not rooting at all for "Prime" with the exception they are playing Nebbie this year, so I want him to be just good enough to beat Nebbie and then otherwise collapse under the weight of his own hubris.

I'm seeing OL players being picked up by other P5 programs. But Iowa isn't being metnioned for even offers. whats' going on?
Because we return 4 out of 5 starters, a couple other guys with starting experience, and two pretty good portal guys who are competing for two deep spots. I am sure the coaches see what is available and do not see anyone that they can get as an upgrade over what they got. Personally, I would spend nearly all my energy on developing the shit out of the 12 guys that I got rather than trying to fold in a new personality to the OL room.