Portal opens 4-15

I'm really hoping the O-line takes care of itself. Take away couple years and I think Iowa still has a strong rep for lineman and the potential to play at the next level. I am hopeful they mesh and become a strength again.

As for the receiving corp....as previously mentioned, it's a hard sell. Maybe Vines takes a step forward to be that guy. But again, it starts with the pass protection and our O-line. Won't matter who we have out there if Cade doesn't have time to throw.

Offers are widely publisised online media and Twitter. I've seen none
Then it would seem Ferentz & Staff are confident our OL and WR corps will be OK without any P5 level transfer help.
Hope it works out better than last year.

Last edited:
Unless someone really good falls into their lap, I would not seriously look into the OL portal. We have a lot of guys with starting experience on the OL and good depth overall. I agree that the great unknown is whether a years worth of work will allow the group to gel and be serviceable, but I don't see a mid-level portal guy helping the cause at this point. It takes some time to learn a new system and integrate into the OL. Now, If there is a game changing RT available and willing to consider Iowa, of course you recruit him. But, I am guessing that few starting RTs will be out there AND want to consider Iowa. I want not expend resources there. We don't NEED another OL. But, we would take a really good one if presented.

I feel differently at WR. I would go get the best available WR out there just to build depth. We are thin and that room has had injury bug issues for 2 years now. We lost Brecht as well. I do not want our new QB throwing to walk-ons all Fall against this year. I would get at least one more WR.

Unless someone really good falls into their lap, I would not seriously look into the OL portal. We have a lot of guys with starting experience on the OL and good depth overall. I agree that the great unknown is whether a years worth of work will allow the group to gel and be serviceable, but I don't see a mid-level portal guy helping the cause at this point. It takes some time to learn a new system and integrate into the OL. Now, If there is a game changing RT available and willing to consider Iowa, of course you recruit him. But, I am guessing that few starting RTs will be out there AND want to consider Iowa. I want not expend resources there. We don't NEED another OL. But, we would take a really good one if presented.

I feel differently at WR. I would go get the best available WR out there just to build depth. We are thin and that room has had injury bug issues for 2 years now. We lost Brecht as well. I do not want our new QB throwing to walk-ons all Fall against this year. I would get at least one more WR.

There are clearly some dudes in the portal. As we have asked before and after NIL, why are they there? Money? Who can blame them. Maybe they are not as good as there high school stars? Coaching differences? Bad attitudes? There is always a lot to unpack with a transfer, especially in a program like Iowa that is the opposite of Colorado. Talent is not everything; culture and character play a huge factor.

As I said, if there is an OL out there who could be a difference maker/starter AND is interested in blending into Iowa's culture, of course Iowa should expend resources and try to land such a kid. I have my doubts whether that kid exists.

As for WR, again, I would get someone. Best available. I would have my WR and recruiting coach focused in on finding a transfer, not as a luxury, but as a must get. A scholarship level WR should be gettable in the portal, whether he ultimately sees the field or not.

Iowa has to get at least 1 WR in the porthole,right? I get Kirk is stubborn but he is smart enough to know the WR room isn’t looking good at all. Just hope Football,MB and WB don’t all crap the bed in the porthole this year..

Iowa has to get at least 1 WR in the porthole,right? I get Kirk is stubborn but he is smart enough to know the WR room isn’t looking good at all. Just hope Football,MB and WB don’t all crap the bed in the porthole this year..
It’s portal, not porthole.

It would not surprise me if suddenly a WR has committed to Iowa. They do it quietly, not publicity, no bally hooo. Just quietly work out a deal.

I had the exact same thoughts about the OL last year.

I had the exact same thoughts about the OL last year.
Well, now they are all pretty much back again, a year older, bigger, more experienced, and they know what position they are supposed to play. And, they have a QB who can throw and scramble. I too thought we would be better last year, but that experience doesn't suggest to me that getting a project OL out of the portal makes any sense. It takes years to build an OL in this system (usually). And for better or worse, we have experienced guys who have been in the system 3+ years across the board. Unless there is a really great OL available, I would pass and focus on coaching up what we have.

Yes, Michigan WR AJ Henning has entered the portal. He is only 5'10" and never did much as a WR, but was a great punt and kickoff returner for michigan. Maybe Cade can put in a call to his old team-mate and convince him to come on over. You have to figure he would have a good chance to crack the 2-deeps at WR at Iowa.
I see a faster version of what they hoped Tyrone Tracy woulda been. If he can catch and hold on to the ball he'd be a step up from what Tracy ended up being before he left. Doesn't need to be a high volume guy but just be able to make a big play now and then. Here's to hoping we can land him. He isn't my first choice amongst the WRs in portal but the obvious tie to Cade and All being what they are we'd be idiots to not pursue it.

I see a faster version of what they hoped Tyrone Tracy woulda been. If he can catch and hold on to the ball he'd be a step up from what Tracy ended up being before he left. Doesn't need to be a high volume guy but just be able to make a big play now and then. Here's to hoping we can land him. He isn't my first choice amongst the WRs in portal but the obvious tie to Cade and All being what they are we'd be idiots to not pursue it.
I'd take him in a heart beat. Kid was good enough to get a Michigan schollie at some point. There has to be some raw talent there, and has been discussed, we need competent bodies in that room that are not paying their own tuition. Frankly, given the history of the position and the general state of the offense, a castoff from a Top 10 program is more than I can wish for right now.

Latest posts