Portal needs

clim3

Looks like the portal is filling up. Likely we will lose some too

what are our biggest needs? LB, CB? Back up QB maybe? I see some big name QB out there and rumors about more solid ones coming. Do we need to get one in case Cades health is an ongoing issue. What other positions would you think we’d be looking for ?

I'm sure the coaching staff will keep a close eye on things. A lot will depend upon who leaves and/or doesn't take advantage of the Covid year.

I would expect one or possibly two RBs to enter the portal and probably at least one QB. Black is rumored to be considering declaring for the draft. Priorities could change in a hurry.

My gut is that Lachey will return. He potentially could play his way into the first or second round. It's very doubtful that he would be at that level this upcoming draft despite his pedigree coming from Iowa. He would have to blow things up at the combine for that to happen. Hard to say with All. I could see him moving on.

I'd say LB for sure and DBs I'm assuming Coop is going pro and losing Castro and Shulte will be alot to replace even for Parker.

Maybe even a difference making edge rusher if we're just Christmas shopping here. Evans has been great and all but our pass rush off the edge overall hasn't been great. Craig has kinda not been what I thought he'd be anyway.

Other spots it just kinda depends on what happens with our own. Do we lose a couple RBs instead of just 1? I expect at least 1 of them to go and more wouldn't surprise me. WRs we can always use one or 3 more.

Lachey and All will be interesting because how's their injuries affect their draft stock? If not much or at all they probably will and should go pro. But if it puts them down to a 6th round or lower I could see em coming back cashing some NIL $ and improving their stock. They may take as much time as they can to decide that too. (Which stinks for the staff and their timeline but I don't blame kids at all do what's best for them)

LT-LG-C-RG-RT ... 300+# that can shuffle their feet like Fred Astaire and have a mean streak to run guys over like Robert Gallery.

Yes, Yes, Fred Astaire like moves

Fred Astaire Royal Wedding GIF - Fred Astaire Royal Wedding Dancing On The  Ceiling - Discover & Share GIFs

It's funny, a team can now go 3-9 in a season than 9-3 the next year if they get lucky in the portal or a new coach comes in and completely revamps the roster. Back in the day team regression or progression was like a 3 yr process as it took time to get the ingredients. Not anymore. Wild.

That's the exciting thing about the portal. I actually think the portal does provide a landscape for more parity in college sports. The NIL that came after is changes the balance to the blue bloods as they will get the absolute top talent that are worthy of the $$$$$ from NIL.

I had no idea Terry Roberts briefly transferred to MSU (left the team before the season).

Yep. Went to Miami for Spring ball and then transferred to MSU. I remember when he left Miami, there was a discussion among fans, debating if Kirk would allow him back(if he wanted to come back).

Last edited:
Too many moving parts right now. I can't get a gauge on what this roster will look like until I know who is staying and who is going. This Monday will clear a lot of this up.

I'd say LB for sure and DBs I'm assuming Coop is going pro and losing Castro and Shulte will be alot to replace even for Parker.

Maybe even a difference making edge rusher if we're just Christmas shopping here. Evans has been great and all but our pass rush off the edge overall hasn't been great. Craig has kinda not been what I thought he'd be anyway.

Other spots it just kinda depends on what happens with our own. Do we lose a couple RBs instead of just 1? I expect at least 1 of them to go and more wouldn't surprise me. WRs we can always use one or 3 more.

Lachey and All will be interesting because how's their injuries affect their draft stock? If not much or at all they probably will and should go pro. But if it puts them down to a 6th round or lower I could see em coming back cashing some NIL $ and improving their stock. They may take as much time as they can to decide that too. (Which stinks for the staff and their timeline but I don't blame kids at all do what's best for them)

LB(s) for sure. Higgins has another year if he wants it, but he should go and I think he will.

IMO, Harris and Schulte are the wildcard, maybe you can talk those two into coming back. A big maybe, tho. Entringer stepping in for Castro...don't think it will be a really big drop off. Granted, Castro is a grown man at 24, but I like the athleticism I have seen from Entringer.

I'm not part of the twitter-verse or X or whatever it is called these days. Apparently, Cade McNamara put out a cryptic tweet insinuating that someone that we aren't expecting to come back, will be coming back. I will let you do your own homework that. I am just throwing it out there.

I had no idea Terry Roberts briefly transferred to MSU (left the team before the season).
Crazy, you have to imagine he would have been a huge piece for Iowa this season even with a crowded back field. Went to Miami first, then MSU - I wonder if he retains his eligibility since it doesn't appear he played anywhere this season and already used a RS year at Iowa. Could be playing in the B1G title game this weekend... and come to think of it, Kaleb Brown wouldn't be in the the B1G championship if he stayed at TOSU. ;)

This prompted me to go and take a look at Arland Bruce and Keagan Johnson's production last year at their new homes. They would have been featured at Iowa and while that might not mean much but starting and contributing to your team is a lot better IMO than hardly seeing the field.

Let's just say, not everyone is Charlie Jones.

This prompted me to go and take a look at Arland Bruce and Keagan Johnson's production last year at their new homes. They would have been featured at Iowa and while that might not mean much but starting and contributing to your team is a lot better IMO than hardly seeing the field.

Let's just say, not everyone is Charlie Jones.

Bruce committed the ultimate no-no when he bet against his own squad. He was f*cked, no matter if he stuck around or not.

Last edited:
Definitely another QB that has some mobility. Hill's liability is his inability to run or escape. Labas probably moves on.

Definitely another QB that has some mobility. Hill's liability is his inability to run or escape. Labas probably moves on.

Cade McNamara is the transition guy. Lainez, Resar or that kid from Algona(if he commits to Iowa)are likely the future.

Latest posts