Portal needs

Do you realize that would exclude anyone currently under contract? That rules out the OC for virtually every D1 team with a winning record-and I don't see a team preparing for a bowl game giving Iowa permission to poach a coach during bowl prep.

PSU, who is preparing for a Bowl Game like us, has already hired an OC from Kansas, another school that is preparing for a bowl game. It can be done.

Further, it seems many of the candidates mentioned are not necessarily on other staffs. We absolutely could have shifted Budmayr to an interim OC role over this next month if he is the eventual guy. Paul Chryst is an analyst, he could be hired away if he is the guy you want to target.

Just because KF prefers to put off all personnel decisions until after the exhibition game is wrapped up, that does not mean it is the only way it can be done.

Do you realize that would exclude anyone currently under contract? That rules out the OC for virtually every D1 team with a winning record-and I don't see a team preparing for a bowl game giving Iowa permission to poach a coach during bowl prep.

Texas A&M just hired an OC off a bowl team (Kansas State).

Oh, my mistake. I would not have thought bowl prepping teams would freeze contacting during bowl prep. That seems an interesting change of culture. I guess that's the Brave New World. Thanks for correcting me on this one.

When does Iowa play an Exhibition Game? I thought the season was going to end next year in a pretty prestigious bowl against an SEC opponent. Of course, bowls are included in the W/L - still the most important thing and the bowl in which Iowa is playing will bring some prestige and Media love. Iowa will win 11 games and finished ranked again, two more prestigious and important results.

Last edited:
Regardless of who KF picks he's not going to let the guy do anything outside his set of constraints. I don't know why it even matters who it is.

Probably not, but Paterno finally agreed to modernize his offense at the very end: https://www.sj-r.com/story/sports/c...enn-state-offense-spreads-wealth/44235534007/ (it feels dirty just referencing Paterno).

Saban held out for awhile (not nearly as long as KF), and he eventually changed.

He should absolutely go YOLO over these last couple years.

As we have seen, the NIL and portal has changed recruitment and how things are done. As previously mentioned, a team can go from 3-9 to 9-3 instantly in a year. It's good and bad both. I hate how athletes can flip flop if they don't like their current situation. There is zero loyalty, but I can only imagine what is said by recruiters and the promises made to get them to commit.

The money game has also changed how it's done. You are seeing starting quarterbacks and other positions leave their program with the chance to benefit financially. It's insane.

Linebacker is definitely a glaring need. Any truth to Kaleb Brown trying to recruit a 5 star linebacker from tOSU to us? I know Cade is always active in trying to help the program. Reminded me of Deuce Hogan, but I think Cade has a bit more clout.

I saw YaYa Black is leaning towards coming back. That would be huge. I think our O-line will be better but if you can get a battle proven guy, I am not against it.

It's hard in some ways to assess our needs because with our program being a developmental program, there are players who come out of the woodwork. Who would have thought Castro would be the player of his caliber? Guys like Micah Hyde, Desmond King and even George Kittle were guys who developed under our program.

I saw where Matt Ruhl, the Nebby, head coach said it would take between $1-1.5 million to get a starting quarterback to come to Nebraska. I see their OC is already trying to get tOSU quarterback that entered the portal.

With Ferentz ball it is all about the OL. Our OL has not been good enough to play Ferentz ball for several years.
I would like to see us start there. New OC + new OL coach. Emphasize recruiting and NIL $ for what we need on the OL. Keep the good Iowa HS players in Iowa and use the portal if needed to fill gaps.

I just want to clarify something. I may be wrong on this, but Iowa is over the scholarship limit right now and I was thinking I remembered hearing that if that's the case, you can't offer someone in the portal and that we would need some attrition in order to offer. It doesn't mean communication can't take place or that an NIL deal can't be discussed, but the scholarship offer can only be made if there is an open one.

I'm not certain about this, but I feel like I remember this from last year. Anyone know for sure?

With Ferentz ball it is all about the OL. Our OL has not been good enough to play Ferentz ball for several years.
I would like to see us start there. New OC + new OL coach. Emphasize recruiting and NIL $ for what we need on the OL. Keep the good Iowa HS players in Iowa and use the portal if needed to fill gaps.
Isn't there an OL that entered the portal from Michigan State that had Iowa in his top 2. If i recall correctly, he was a 4 or 5 star?

I just want to clarify something. I may be wrong on this, but Iowa is over the scholarship limit right now and I was thinking I remembered hearing that if that's the case, you can't offer someone in the portal and that we would need some attrition in order to offer. It doesn't mean communication can't take place or that an NIL deal can't be discussed, but the scholarship offer can only be made if there is an open one.

I'm not certain about this, but I feel like I remember this from last year. Anyone know for sure?
We could start in the QB room where we currently have 3 scholarship players, none of which are P5 talent..

Last edited:

I actually talked about that with a local recent player (graduated), and I said to him with NIL now that scholarships are kind of moot, but he said in reality there are a lot of benefits that scholarship guys get over walk-ons.

I actually talked about that with a local recent player (graduated), and I said to him with NIL now that scholarships are kind of moot, but he said in reality there are a lot of benefits that scholarship guys get over walk-ons.
Not to mention that you get 85 scholarships. Very few players benefit from NIL

Watching the FCS playoffs....
Perhaps we should recruit the entire NDSU offense.

Last edited:

Latest posts