• 5 Little more bad than good

Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 2 2.1%

Votes: 4 4.2%

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • 1 It's all bad !

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
232 total points from the first 34 voters- about a 7 average so far.
And, only 1/33 of you joined me with a negative / sub-6 score? Based on the tone of the posts on here, I would have thought positive / negative grades would be more even.
zwxXwOe.gif

Because your score was nowhere close to being correct

A 3.........
FEI9OBn.gif

We have a good program. We go to bowl games. Occasionally we win a bowl game. Occasionally we win a championship (3 out of 19 years). We are good, not elite.

The honest question is, can Iowa ever be elite in football, or basketball, for that matter, playing it straight up without cheating? I doubt it. If you don't believe me, analyze Nebraska. They only won when they cheated.

College football is broken right now because it is not a level playing field. There is as much cheating in college football as there is in college basketball, but nobody wants to talk about it.

So, bottom line- how do you rate the current state of the Hawkeye Football program?

I give it a 3- I think we've been treading water for several years now (obviously caught a big wave in 2015), and the leadership shows no signs of trying to do any more.

I think what is implied in your poll is that you obviously are hoping for Iowa to be an elite program. I think you have to define "elite." Is it averaging 9 wins every year? 10 wins? What is your definition??? A lot of programs would kill for Iowa's bowl record the past 39 years (28 bowls played in and 12 wins, I think)

Iowa is a comfortable sweatshirt, a good hamburger, a car that always starts, money in a AAA bond fund, a John Grisham novel, a Gene Hackman movie, you know, things that sometimes are, but often aren't, in fashion, but when you stop and think about it, you go, yeah, I like those things, I'm glad I have them, and no one better try to take them away from me.

We are good, not elite.
The honest question is, can Iowa ever be elite in football, or basketball, for that matter, playing it straight up without cheating? I doubt it. If you don't believe me, analyze Nebraska.
7 or 8 wins a year, w/ Iowa's schedule ia above-average, not good.

You're right about Nebby not being elite. They haven't been for a while, and it's misguided on their part to hire & fire coaches assuming they can be. But they've been winning more than the Hawks have even with all the instability there..

Year, Wins Iowa / Neb
2010 , 8 / 10
2011 , 7 / 9
2012 , 4 / 10
2013 , 8 / 9
2014 , 7 / 9
2015 , 12 / 6
2016 , 8 / 9

Last edited:
I voted 7. I think it would be hard to find a program that developers players as well as us but I do think Ferentz's old school recruiting tactics and his policy hold us back.

The scale is deceptive...people tend to vote in a way that = historical W/L record. On a 0-5 scale, I'd vote 4

You're right about Nebby not being elite. They haven't been for a while, and it's misguided on their part to hire & fire coaches assuming they can be. But they've been winning more than the Hawks have even with all the instability there..

Year, Wins Iowa / Neb
2010 , 8 / 10
2011 , 7 / 9
2012 , 4 / 10
2013 , 8 / 9
2014 , 7 / 9
2015 , 12 / 6
2016 , 8 / 9

So, definitely not a 3 then. If above avg, you'd have to go 6, or 5 if you think schedule is weak-ish. But not 3. If avg 7 wins is a 3...then it's basically been a 3 or worse forever, on avg.

I think what is implied in your poll is that you obviously are hoping for Iowa to be an elite program. I think you have to define "elite." Is it averaging 9 wins every year? 10 wins? What is your definition??? A lot of programs would kill for Iowa's bowl record the past 39 years (28 bowls played in and 12 wins, I think)
I wouldnt say a lot. Sure Rutgers, Purdue, IU, MN, IL. MSU I think would respect Iowa.

Part of the issue is that better programs would be embarrassed to lose to Oowa not because of takent but becsuse how we play the game. Any program about equal with a high octane O would not kill to be us.

Going back 39 years is a stretch. The past 5 years or so is what needs to be looked at. If CJ had walked we wouldnt be so proud.

Iowa is an anomaly under KF. Its so hard to judge. Its kind of like judging Reagan as President.Lots of pro and con. No clear answer.

So, definitely not a 3 then. If above avg, you'd have to go 6, or 5 if you think schedule is weak-ish. But not 3. If avg 7 wins is a 3...then it's basically been a 3 or worse forever, on avg.
Come on Walker, you replied to my previous post so I know you saw my other reasons for the 3!

You're right, the wins would probably deserve a 5-6 if that was my only criteria, but w/ the other knocks I give 'em the 3.

Come on Walker, you replied to my previous post so I know you saw my other reasons for the 3!

You're right, the wins would probably deserve a 5-6 if that was my only criteria, but w/ the other knocks I give 'em the 3.

A 3 is an idiotic rating and I can't take anything you say seriously after that. Please use your brain in the future or just don't post. Thanks.

At the end of the day, # of wins is all that matters. "Exciting" and losing would be no better.

To each their own, but it would really suck if i really believed the program is a 3.

Voted a 6. Nothing special, pretty average which is good for most hawk "fans" on this board. Would like to see 8 wins minimum with our really weak non-con and weak division. But hey, we're only Iowa so we should understand that 6 wins is our zenith.

Year, Wins Iowa / Neb
2010 , 8 / 10
2011 , 7 / 9
2012 , 4 / 10
2013 , 8 / 9
2014 , 7 / 9
2015 , 12 / 6
2016 , 8 / 9

You picked a small sample size, leaving out a great Ferentz run from 2002 through 2009. Overall, Iowa and Nebraska have been very close during the Ferentz era.

My question to you, is to do you realistically think that Iowa can do better than Ferentz and Fry? That is the theme of most of your posts. I don't think Iowa can do better, unless we cut corners.

You picked a small sample size, leaving out a great Ferentz run from 2002 through 2009. Overall, Iowa and Nebraska have been very close during the Ferentz era.

My question to you, is to do you realistically think that Iowa can do better than Ferentz and Fry? That is the theme of most of your posts. I don't think Iowa can do better, unless we cut corners.

I am sure there are lots that would take a Pitino type and sell their souls. Human nature for some.

I think Iowa can be Wisconsin level. I'd classify the Badgers as very good, but not elite.

The only difference I can see between them (internally, not counting results lately) is the people in charge. And, like I said before, those people at Iowa don't seem interested in narrowing the gap.

No, it was sometime in the 70s. I have one with sound as well (no visual). My brother stuck the field with a yard stick just after I opened it. I think some of the early ones had OJ on the cover.

The field on mine is not in good shape and several parts are missing. Did bring up memories. I was a little kid and was pretty excited about it.

The outcome with the off tackle run against 8 man ranges from -2 to 5 yards with most 2 or lower. Go figure.

Against the Blitz, the Off Tackle run ranges from Fumble to 10 yards with the other possibilities being -3 to 6 yards.

The 8 man against the short pass ranges from INC to 30 yards with the others being 6, 15 and 30 yards.

Blitz against the short pass is Interception, -5 and 30. Not hard to see why it's hard to sustain drives with that offense.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OW...E-ACTION-FOOTBALL-1800-Orig-Box-/272650894910
Yes, we know. This game is so realistic. Why play games on the field.

We should all just play the board game and Save millions and millions to feed starving soccer kids in World soccer power Trinidadaddy & Tobagan who will grow up and kick the US soccer team into 5th place out of 6 (T&T finishing 6th)

-- in the play-in tournament ....