• 5 Little more bad than good

Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 2 2.1%

Votes: 4 4.2%

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • 1 It's all bad !

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
7 here. I have no argument with Coach Ferentz. He does everything you'd want a head coach in a major program to do. Runs a clean program. Graduates a lot of players. Wins a lot of games. Has occasional flashes of greatness. Has been acknowledged by his peers as one of the best. Will ultimately be B1G All Timer... possibly a CFHOF.

Voted 7.....win more than we lose....usually make a bowl......usually beat someone we are not suppose to beat.

A good program but not great. Lose to many games against inferior opponents, choke on the big stage, to conservative on game days for 3 quarters of game play.

Funny how nobody mentions academics (i.e. how do we do graduating players). Afterall, the NCAA still calls them "student athletes"

Funny how nobody mentions academics (i.e. how do we do graduating players). Afterall, the NCAA still calls them "student athletes"
tenor.gif

The KF era is coming to an end. Like KF or not the stability of the program has never been an issue. Even if BF is the next HC there is a lot of uncertainty moving forward.

Just. Please, God, no. I was really upset that he got the OC job without any experience. Parker is a better choice if it's anyone on this staff, and I'd not be happy about that hire.

Not really too sure who to hire next, tbh. All the obvious candidates are too old.

Just. Please, God, no. I was really upset that he got the OC job without any experience. Parker is a better choice if it's anyone on this staff, and I'd not be happy about that hire.

Not really too sure who to hire next, tbh. All the obvious candidates are too old.
Pay Jimmy Franklin $20 mill a year?

If you would have asked me 2 weeks ago it would have been much lower. I didn't expect to beat Penn State but I thought we were lifeless against Michigan State and could have won that one which would have at least kept the division as part of the conversation instead of just gone out the window after 2 conference games. However, after watching Nebraska the last couple of weeks it makes me realize what we could be and I'm a lot more grateful for Ferentz. I voted a 7 and I think that's poetic since we are perennially a 7-5 team.

The poll should have graded Iowa from 1 to 12, then it almost certainly would have rated a 7. As in, an average of 7 wins a year.

I guess converting that to a scale of 10 Iowa would grade a 6.

The poll should have graded Iowa from 1 to 12, then it almost certainly would have rated a 7. As in, an average of 7 wins a year.

I guess converting that to a scale of 10 Iowa would grade a 6.

You'd probably have to go a little higher then 7 for a program that has won 7 or more games in 13 out of 18 years.

Would have voted a 7 if there was one more decent year in recent years. 6 instead. The West is weak and it was there for the taking and we've been OK, but not great save one year. If they win 8 this year, I'll change to a 7.

Got out the old Play Action Football game last night for kicks. For the kids here, that was the pre-computer Madden type game. There are 8 offensive play strips and 6 defensive plays.

To play against Iowa, you know KF is almost always going to use the two in red. When playing D it means I only need 2 and I will win assuming the talent level is equal. Makes the game really simple. Until this changes, I can't vote higher than a 6 or 7.

upload_2017-10-17_10-10-18.png

Got out the old Play Action Football game last night for kicks. For the kids here, that was the pre-computer Madden type game. There are 8 offensive play strips and 6 defensive plays.

To play against Iowa, you know KF is almost always going to use the two in red. When playing D it means I only need 2 and I will win assuming the talent level is equal. Makes the game really simple. Until this changes, I can't vote higher than a 6 or 7.

View attachment 2804
I don't remember anything like that. How old are we talking?

Was that before the vibrating football field / table, with 1 player carrying or kicking the little felt ball?

I don't remember anything like that. How old are we talking?

Was that before the vibrating football field / table, with 1 player carrying or kicking the little felt ball?

No, it was sometime in the 70s. I have one with sound as well (no visual). My brother stuck the field with a yard stick just after I opened it. I think some of the early ones had OJ on the cover.

The field on mine is not in good shape and several parts are missing. Did bring up memories. I was a little kid and was pretty excited about it.

The outcome with the off tackle run against 8 man ranges from -2 to 5 yards with most 2 or lower. Go figure.

Against the Blitz, the Off Tackle run ranges from Fumble to 10 yards with the other possibilities being -3 to 6 yards.

The 8 man against the short pass ranges from INC to 30 yards with the others being 6, 15 and 30 yards.

Blitz against the short pass is Interception, -5 and 30. Not hard to see why it's hard to sustain drives with that offense.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OW...E-ACTION-FOOTBALL-1800-Orig-Box-/272650894910

Last edited:
If you vote outside of 5-8, you're crazy or trolling.
Anybody who votes an 8+ is just in love w/ Hawkeye football, and ignoring the on-field product. Or living in the past (pre-2010).

I voted a 3. And yes, that was my honest assessment. Why so low?

Because KF's 7 wins a year is just 1 more than the minimum they should win w/ their schedule. Think about it- 3 weak non-cons, plus Illinois, Purdue, and Minny gets you to 6 wins every year. I would hope everybody would agree there's no excuse for not winning those. So then to get to 7 (or 8) all you have to do is beat NW, Nebby, or Rutgers / Indiana. But doing that gets the coach a bonus? Satisfies the fans? Why?

Because they're boring, conservative, and predictable, i.e. not particularly fun to watch. That's obviously a subjective / to each his own thing so I won't elaborate.

And finally, because it should be obvious to everybody that neither the AD or the coach cares about improving on the 7-win average. BF being the latest, most obvious example of comfort zone outweighing results.

So to summarize, I voted low because of mediocre results, low entertainment value, and 6 years and counting of cruise control coaching.

Anybody who votes an 8+ is just in love w/ Hawkeye football, and ignoring the on-field product. Or living in the past (pre-2010).

I voted a 3. And yes, that was my honest assessment. Why so low?

Because KF's 7 wins a year is just 1 more than the minimum they should win w/ their schedule. Think about it- 3 weak non-cons, plus Illinois, Purdue, and Minny gets you to 6 wins every year. I would hope everybody would agree there's no excuse for not winning those. So then to get to 7 (or 8) all you have to do is beat NW, Nebby, or Rutgers / Indiana. But doing that gets the coach a bonus? Satisfies the fans? Why?

Because they're boring, conservative, and predictable, i.e. not particularly fun to watch. That's obviously a subjective / to each his own thing so I won't elaborate.

And finally, because it should be obvious to everybody that neither the AD or the coach cares about improving on the 7-win average. BF being the latest, most obvious example of comfort zone outweighing results.

So to summarize, I voted low because of mediocre results, low entertainment value, and 6 years and counting of cruise control coaching.

So crazy then, got it. :)