Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 2 2.1%

Votes: 4 4.2%

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • 1 It's all bad !

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

hawkeyes87

So, bottom line- how do you rate the current state of the Hawkeye Football program?

I give it a 3- I think we've been treading water for several years now (obviously caught a big wave in 2015), and the leadership shows no signs of trying to do any more.

So, bottom line- how do you rate the current state of the Hawkeye Football program?

I give it a 3- I think we've been treading water for several years now (obviously caught a big wave in 2015), and the leadership shows no signs of trying to do any more.
Yep, since 2010 we have had one solid season. The other years mediocre to below average. Bowl loss after bowl loss. A coaching staff that can only get 1,2 & mostly 3 star recruits.

I voted a 6.
We win more than we lose. We have upgraded our facilities in a dramatic fashion. We havent had any serious problems with the players. We have some of the best fans in the nation. We have one of the toughest facilities to play at in the nation. And no NCAA investigations.

I voted an 8 because I couldnt do 7.5. A lot of 8 + win seasons is good, I think it is tough to be Iowa when Kirk isnt a gunslinger and maybe a dynamic recruiter. But the bowl losses and blowouts also point to not being the early 2000's Bullies of the Big Ten anymore. Havent been bullies since 2009 and 10.

I picked 6. Areas I thought would struggle this year have been decent (QB, DBs) and some have been disappointing (line play, both sides). End of the day, the offense isn't run by greg davis anymore so that's a huge plus. If he was still here it'd be lower.

The KF era is coming to an end. Like KF or not the stability of the program has never been an issue. Even if BF is the next HC there is a lot of uncertainty moving forward.

Last edited:
7 ...as in 7-5.

A good program that plays by the rules and recruits good kids who usually maximize their potential, and sometimes exceed expectations. Consistently good... occasionally really good...occasionally really weak. Never great.

I voted a 6.
We win more than we lose. We have upgraded our facilities in a dramatic fashion. We havent had any serious problems with the players. We have some of the best fans in the nation. We have one of the toughest facilities to play at in the nation. And no NCAA investigations.
Not sure why you included that last one. I'd hope that we were smart enough to give regular students whatever so called "illegal" things we might be giving the athletes. Actually, we're idiots if were not doing those things. The NCAA has set a precedent, it's time to level the playing field.

Not sure why you included that last one. I'd hope that we were smart enough to give regular students whatever so called "illegal" things we might be giving the athletes. Actually, we're idiots if were not doing those things. The NCAA has set a precedent, it's time to level the playing field.

Yep. I agree. I have always been in favor of schools offering a Football or Basketball major. The "student-athletes" that think they have a shot at the pros can take life classes, like "How to manage money", "What to look for in a financial adviser", "Should I let my step-dad or uncle or cousin manage my money?" and watch film and lift all day.
Seems like a better idea than fake classes or putting some of these athletes in classes they have no business being in,

NCAA hammers schools for flying a kid home for a funeral. But lets fake classes slide. Stay classy, NCAA.

Wins = 6. (the expectation is that Iowa will lose one they shouldn't each season; win one they shouldn't. That shows inconsistency)
Facilities = 9.
Staff = 7. (Good at teaching fundamentals. Dedicated and honest guys)
Philosophies = 5. (Jury still out on Brian, but he's showing signs of accountability and aggressiveness)
Recruiting = 6 (seeing an uptick but need to be consistent.)
Overall = 6.6.

Yep. I agree. I have always been in favor of schools offering a Football or Basketball major. The "student-athletes" that think they have a shot at the pros can take life classes, like "How to manage money", "What to look for in a financial adviser", "Should I let my step-dad or uncle or cousin manage my money?" and watch film and lift all day.
Seems like a better idea than fake classes or putting some of these athletes in classes they have no business being in,

NCAA hammers schools for flying a kid home for a funeral. But lets fake classes slide. Stay classy, NCAA.
And they give a kid a lifetime ban for having a youtube channel.

232 total points from the first 34 voters- about a 7 average so far.

And, only 1/33 of you joined me with a negative / sub-6 score? Based on the tone of the posts on here, I would have thought positive / negative grades would be more even.

I'm not even sure what their standard is, despite the NCAAs latest "precedent". Is it about "impermissible benefits", or "equality in academic fraud"?

I voted 7.

Player development is elite. Even the KF haters would have a hard time arguing that.

Recruiting is ok but ultimately what keeps the program for ranking higher IMO.

Sunday-Friday coaching is good. Game day is meh. I miss Norm.

Bottom line for me is Iowa isn't an easy place to win and KF has a program that wins 8 games a lot. Easy schedules being in the West now helps but ultimately we won't probably know how good KF is until we see a different coach.

Latest posts