Poll: Connor McCaffery Mr. Basketball Snub

Should Connor congratulate Joe Smoldt or should he & his bro continue bitching about it on twitter?

• Offer congrats to Joe on a great season.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Continue the butthurt drama on twitter.

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
IMO, if Joe played at Iowa City West, I think his numbers would probably be pretty even with Connor's, probably still a little bit better.

2017 Joe Smoldt (Gladbrook-Reinbeck) — 29.8 PPG (52 FG%, 49 3FG%), 4.9 APG, 2.7 SPG, 4.7 RPG

2017 Connor McCaffery (Iowa City West) — 19.6 PPG (52 FG%, 41 3FG%), 3.7 APG, 1.8 SPG, 4.8 RPG

If Smoldt could guard anybody he'd be at a D1 school as he is one heck of a shooter.

3_15_2017_11_01_36_AM.jpg

I don't recall ever saying that. Please provide the link.
On the thread - This team is who we thought they were - You "liked " the comment that called this team a no talent choke artist team. Those words were not originally yours, but when someone says them and you "like" them seems to me you own them as well. You were the 1st to like them when they appeared. link attached
https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/this-team-is-who-we-thought-they-were.78100/

It's a prom king award. I hate how society gets so caught up in winning awards based on popularity. I get it that it's human nature to want to be adored by others. But to get bent out of shape over whether you win or lose an award that's subjective and based on opinions is just crazy to me. When you have so many people with their own different critereas for looking at it you'll just have a big diference.
Social media has really done a number on how people not only teenagers value their self worth. Gotta have so many likes from all the selfie pics... The look at me world it encourages is crazy but not going away anytime soon.
I wish West would have lost that game. It would have been interesting to see what they'd have taken better. Losing an actual team game or a popularity contest for an individual award...

IMO, if Joe played at Iowa City West, I think his numbers would probably be pretty even with Connor's, probably still a little bit better.

2017 Joe Smoldt (Gladbrook-Reinbeck) — 29.8 PPG (52 FG%, 49 3FG%), 4.9 APG, 2.7 SPG, 4.7 RPG

2017 Connor McCaffery (Iowa City West) — 19.6 PPG (52 FG%, 41 3FG%), 3.7 APG, 1.8 SPG, 4.8 RPG

robbery.jpg

I think it's possible. But that's like assuming someone that puts up big numbers in the D league would be as good as the best NBA players.

It's a prom king award. I hate how society gets so caught up in winning awards based on popularity. I get it that it's human nature to want to be adored by others. But to get bent out of shape over whether you win or lose an award that's subjective and based on opinions is just crazy to me. When you have so many people with their own different critereas for looking at it you'll just have a big diference.
Social media has really done a number on how people not only teenagers value their self worth. Gotta have so many likes from all the selfie pics... The look at me world it encourages is crazy but not going away anytime soon.
I wish West would have lost that game. It would have been interesting to see what they'd have taken better. Losing an actual team game or a popularity contest for an individual award...

It's crazy to you now. But was it crazy to you when you were in high school?

You're also a hypocrite if you rip on someone on the Internet because they ripped on someone on the internet.
Yup. It was stupid then, and stupid now. No justification for either case, I'd argue even more so for Eno since he was very respectful and we didn't know the whole story then.

Last edited:
I think it's possible. But that's like assuming someone that puts up big numbers in the D league would be as good as the best NBA players.

Joe did play on Connor's AAU team this past summer. Joe averaged 2.5 ppg and 0.8 apg.

It's crazy to you now. But was it crazy to you when you were in high school?
I can honestly answer yes to that. When I was in high school it was pre internet/social media hoopla and prom king was literally the only subjective award on the table. And since I grew up on a farm and prom always fell during the time we were either in the field or tending to newborn lambs I never went let alone cared about it. I’m fully aware of the different worlds in which people are raised in. That’s great. Some of the first world problems we as a society are perpetuating unto our youth is just too bad to say the least. I grew up worried about how the weather was going to affect our crops. On if we’d have enough money so I could get a new pair of jeans/boots when I was growing out of them faster than I could wear them out. That was my selfish line of thinking back then. Kids today are worried about what people they’ve never met think about how they play a game…

Maybe I need a class in Twitter. I find it hard to follow, but from what I could decipher from the link, not much was said that I could consider real disparaging. Am I missing something?

Which was basically the McCaffrey bros. argument. Which is fair, but make that a private discussion/debate.....Why make that public? There's nothing wrong with taking the high road sometimes.

Latest posts