Polk County I-Club Annual Iowa Hawkeye Football Event

Not4cy

Wednesday, February 17

5:00 PM Social, 6:00 PM Iowa Football Program

7 Flags Event Center

100th and Hickman in Clive

Norm Parker Speaker

$10 for adults, Children under 12 free

I have never heard Norm speak so I might attend.

Last edited:
Norm Parker is the best: funny, candid, honest; but also very insightful.

You should go if you can.... once you hear him you really understand why his players love playing for him so much

I'm assuming that they have beer for sale...what about the food situation? I'm looking forward to going later today!

one of NP's best quote's after being asked how he would defend against the spread offense:

"well, I don't even know what 'the spread offense' is.... I guess they will have 11 guys on offense positioned accross the field trying to get someone open. But that is what everybody tries to do.

Good stuff out of Norm:

he doesn't do anything in practice except walk around and screw up drills

for defensive meetings, he does 2 things - decide what time to start and decide what time to take a pi**

when asked about freshman making a difference, reminded us these boys were getting off yellow school buses a few weeks ago

when asked about difference between coaching in press box vs field, said it was warmer in the press box

Said the boys are hard at work lifting and running. Clayborn at 294 and Ballard at 311.

Will never pass up the chance to see him again.

Good stuff out of Norm:

he doesn't do anything in practice except walk around and screw up drills

for defensive meetings, he does 2 things - decide what time to start and decide what time to take a pi**

when asked about freshman making a difference, reminded us these boys were getting off yellow school buses a few weeks ago

when asked about difference between coaching in press box vs field, said it was warmer in the press box

Said the boys are hard at work lifting and running. Clayborn at 294 and Ballard at 311.

Will never pass up the chance to see him again.

Coach Parker was awesome. I enjoyed his sincerity, humor, and priceless one liners. I also enjoyed his insight regarding freshmen impacting a team, Texas joining the Big Ten, defending the triple option, and the Iowa State rivalry. Outstanding!

Clayborn at 294 seems even crazier to me. I realize he can move well but he seemed oversized compared to a prototypical NFL DE last year...if he has put more weight on that seems crazy...but if he maintains his quickness and adds strength he could turn into a dominant force like Suh was last year albeit at a different position.

Two questions...1) What did he play at last year? 2) Because of his size would NFL teams be looking at him as more of a 3-4 DE?

I imagine they beef up a bit in the winter with heavy lifting, and then likely slim down as Spring practice rolls into summer conditioning drills. Just speculating but it seems to make some sense.

Whatever issues/concerns there are leading into the season, having the best DL in the nation sure is a solid foundation for a great year. Add in having an experienced QB, 3 of 4 guys in the secondary and the vast majority of very young skill position guys back...and things look very positive. Just have to get the OL to gel as early as possible.

Last edited:
Ballard said in an interview during Orange Bowl prep that he was at 295 at that time. Keeps on maturing.

Last edited:
Polk County I-Club tonight Reply
Norm Parker's take on the in-coming freshmen class, as to whether anyone might help this fall: "You shouldn't put your money on a kid who just got off a yellow school bus".

When asked whether his d-players might be complacent coming into the coming season: "They are lifting four times a day at 6:30am, and running in the afternoon. Clayborn just weighed in at 294, Ballard at 311, Klug at 272, and the runt of the litter, Binns at 265." He praised the front-four as the key to stopping G-Tech, as they handled the pitch-man, half the QB responsibility, and allowed the L-ber's and d-backs to support everything else. After the program (one-on-one), I asked Norm whether the front-four are the best in college fb, and he said "they are in the argument".

Norm said Mike Daniels and Lebron Daniels would be the next two in to support the front four.

Linebackers for next year: Jeremiah Hunter, Jeff Tarpinian, Troy Johnson, Bruce Davis, Tyler Nielsen.

D-backs: Sash & Greenwood at safetys, but would not play spring ball due to off season surgery. Should give other guys a chance to show their talent. CB's: Prater and Bernstein/Hyde/Castillo/Lowe.

Norm praised KF as the best coach he has worked for, and touted his humility and even-keel demeanor (no big ups or downs). Norm also emphasized the great appreciation the players have for the Hawk fans that support them no matter where we play. Other teams/players find this remarkable.

When asked about up and coming players, Norm likes Herman at TE, Jim Ferentz at center, Nielsen at safety, and Dominic Alvis at d-line. Said Nolan MacMillan was slowed by a groin injury, but a player to watch.

Latest posts