Polk County I-Club Annual Iowa Hawkeye Football Event

When asked about up and coming players, Norm likes Herman at TE, Jim Ferentz at center, Nielsen at safety, and Dominic Alvis at d-line. Said Nolan MacMillan was slowed by a groin injury, but a player to watch.

I always enjoy hearing about the up and comers and it's nice to hear Ferentz's name mentioned. Hopefully he stays out of trouble and grabs the starting job next fall.

When Norm was asked about playing Iowa State and if they prepared any differently, he said that you have to be careful about putting too much stock into one game because there are 11 other games to play. UNI prepared all Spring and Summer for Iowa and Norm said they ran out of gas at the end of the year. Norm also advised that he does not like Iowa State. You can smell the stinch in Ames from Iowa City if the wind is blowing the right way.

When asked about Texas joining the Big 10, He said," Great. Another Powerhouse. Why don't we just bring the Dallas Cowboys to the Big 10. He said that it is inevitable that the Big 10 will eventually expand but he would prefer a team from out East.

When Norm was at Michigan State, He must have had the same reaction as most of us when Penn State joined the Big 10. He was like,"Great, another powerhouse to beat us up."

He says Kirk Ferentz is the best coach in college football and Iowa is very lucky to have him. Norm says that Kirk is extremely level headed and doesn't get too high or too low, unlike some other head coaching Nut jobs. He pointed out the fact that we have beaten Penn State 7 out of 8 times. He says Kirk is the best boss in the world.

When recruits ask the assistants if Kirk is going to be there for 5 years, Kirk sits all of the assistants down in an office, looks them in the eye and says, "I am not going anywhere. I wil be here for a long time. We have been here for a long time, 2nd longest tenure in the Big 10.

Norm sounds very excited for next season and he thinks we have a chance to be very good but there is a very fine line between winning and losing at Iowa. Sometimes the close games won't go our way.

Norm talked about Terrelle Prior being absolutely amazing and very difficult to stop.

When Norm was asked about not going for it on the last drive of regulation at Ohio State, Norm says, "I am the defensive coordinator and Kirk didn't want to go for it and we will not question Kirk's decisions."

Norm thinks our D-line could be amazing next year.

Norm is very high on Jeff Tarpinian and after listening to him, I feel Tarp will be a starter alongside Hunter and Troy Johnson.

Norm brought up Kirk's salary and said that Kirk is compensated very well but Iowa is getting a huge bargain. He thinks Kirk is worth way more than what he is getting paid.

Last edited:
Anyone catch Norm's tidbit last night on Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram from Alabama?

Apparently his last 2 choices were Iowa and Alabama, until his Father got involved. Norm said he really wanted to go to Iowa. I didn't know this.
(this was a follow-up story based on the Seantrel question he had from an audience member)

I always enjoy hearing about the up and comers and it's nice to hear Ferentz's name mentioned. Hopefully he stays out of trouble and grabs the starting job next fall.

Norm is a straight shooter on prospects...I will never forget him saying in december of 08 when he filled in for KF on the radio show that Reiff is a tremendous o-line prospect...before he ever hit the field.

When he tosses out compliments to o-linemen ,take heed...so that is good news for James Ferentz and McMillan as well as Herman, and of course his defenders like Tarpanian...

Anyone catch Norm's tidbit last night on Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram from Alabama?

Apparently his last 2 choices were Iowa and Alabama, until his Father got involved. Norm said he really wanted to go to Iowa. I didn't know this.
(this was a follow-up story based on the Seantrel question he had from an audience member)

Out of curiosity, what was the Seantrel question? Thanks!

Latest posts