Point Guard

Well Iowa does play a good amount of zone, which can help. JBo is not the only guy on this team with defensive issues. If we find others to guard the top perimeter threat and let JBo take the second option that’s also a good idea. JBo did a nice job on Mason last night who’s been an all conference player in this league.

Wisconsin for years has had good defensive teams even with guards that were slower of foot. TEAM defense can be an amazing thing.

There really isn’t a easy solution with the players we have. Fran’s focus is clearly on the offensive side of the ball.

There really isn’t a easy solution with the players we have. Fran’s focus is clearly on the offensive side of the ball.
That I can’t disagree with. I thought our defense would improve this year and it’s actually got worse. Next year I have no reason to believe we will be anything other than a bad defensive team.

Iowa is absolutely hideous on the defensive end...a combination of slowness laterally, grade school fundamentals, and perhaps a lack of desire, and a coach whose system doesn't think it is that important.

We lose and are pathetic (other than against slow and depleted teams) because we can't stop a turtle...

A PG or two that can't shut down, even a tad, on defense is a glaring weakness, since arguably the PG is most important on running the team on the defensive end...putting the other team in a position to be uncomfortable, stopping the plays as they begin, forcing them to do what they don't like to do or aren't good at doing.

Offensive numbers for JB and others to "prove" they are great, in the right position, shattering records means nothing when the team finishes 12-20...just stop.

Iowa is absolutely hideous on the defensive end...a combination of slowness laterally, grade school fundamentals, and perhaps a lack of desire, and a coach whose system doesn't think it is that important.

We lose and are pathetic (other than against slow and depleted teams) because we can't stop a turtle...

A PG or two that can't shut down, even a tad, on defense is a glaring weakness, since arguably the PG is most important on running the team on the defensive end...putting the other team in a position to be uncomfortable, stopping the plays as they begin, forcing them to do what they don't like to do or aren't good at doing.

Offensive numbers for JB and others to "prove" they are great, in the right position, shattering records means nothing when the team finishes 12-20...just stop.
JBo is the second best player on this team. I would worry about the other guys over him.

Here’s a point that directly contradicts your fallacy. Virginia has the number 1 defense in the country by a very wide margin. They do not have a True PG on their roster. They play great TEAM defense.

JBo is the second best player on this team. I would worry about the other guys over him.

Here’s a point that directly contradicts your fallacy. Virginia has the number 1 defense in the country by a very wide margin. They do not have a True PG on their roster. They play great TEAM defense.

They are also a very young team.

In 2015 they were in the 60s on recruiting rankings but had a 4 star.
In 2016 they were 7th with four 4 stars
In 2017 99th with two 3 stars.

in 2017 Iowa was 56 with 1 four star and 2 three stars
in 2016 Iowa was 39 with 1 four star and 4 three stars ( not very well recruited at all)
In 2015 Iowa was 79 with all 3 stars many of which are not factors and Moss wasn't recruited very well by others.

1 year made a big difference plus a coach who focuses on D. Makes a difference

I am very proud for Virginia...but I want Iowa to go to the final four...and beat Augustana...
Nice counter argument. That’s the second time you’ve done that. Keep driveling your narrative and when someone makes a counter argument just say Iowa sucks.

I didn’t call you on it last time but have to at this point. Hard to take a guys college basketball wisdom as gospel when as he says he hasn’t watched a Mighigan State game in over four years.

On a bright note Garza is going to be fun to watch. We will be better next year for sure if everyone’s stays healthy and Cook doesn’t test the waters of the NBA.

The question will be how good will we be. Before this year started most thought next year’s team would make some noise in the B1G conference, the B1G tournament, and the NCAA tournament. Now we have to wonder if we will improve enough to make the NCAA tournament period.

If we don’t we will just keep chugging down the road while Barta keeps giving FranKirk monstrous extensions and pay raises. “He did the mash......he did the money mash..........the money mash, as both programs went crash............ he did the mash, he did the money mash.”

“Deep from the coffers he dished it out, all the fans could do was sit and pout, they were no good in either sport, all Kirk could do was chew and snort.......... they did the mash they did the money mash, the money mash, as both programs went crash, the money mash, all the HC posters would bash, the money mash, it was a lot of cash.”

Iowa does suck...have you watched, seen the stats, checked the record, noticed the empty seats, the inept fundamentals, reaching defense...? Your point?

Bohannon has had a foot injury, and I'm pretty sure that would hurt his defense and offense. When the point guard is slowed down, it hurts the whole teams rhythm.

I think I said I hadn't watched a Michigan State game in 3 years...not 4...
Iowa does suck...have you watched, seen the stats, checked the record, noticed the empty seats, the inept fundamentals, reaching defense...? Your point?
So you missed the Iowa win over then #1 MSU and then a few weeks later at the Breslin Center 3 years ago? Quite the Iowa fan you are....

Iowa does suck this year literally nobody disagrees with that. You’re saying they suck becaus they don’t have a true PG. I’m saying they suck because of a variety of things.

Let’s try this again and see if you can defend your position. Virginia and Purdue are both top 5 teams right now and neither of them employ a “true pg”. Care to explain that?

I haven't see Purdue or Virginia play...why don't you explain it.

I agree that Iowa has multiple problems that I have mentioned...

PG is one of them...glad we agree...

My guess would be that if was the PG on Iowa...even at my age and lack of lateral movement...I could QB a top 20 team if I was surrounded by Lebron, Griffith, Steph (at SG) and The Greek Freak. I am 6-4 1/2 and 240...and have never played PG... Actually, we would be a final four lock.

They have the number 1 scoring defense which I don’t care about. The Iowa defense in basketball is similar to Iowa offense in football. You don’t need it to be in the top tier, get it to the middle-of -the- pack or slightly below and it would make a world of difference. Given FM’s philosophy and style of play Iowa will always be in the bottom third in scoring defense. It is the defensive efficiency numbers and the points per possession numbers that matter.

Virginia plays a deliberate style of basketball TB obviously learned from his father. You are only going to get X amount of possessions so the scoring is going to be low. Yes, Virginia plays great team defense, but I am not sure they are the comparison you want to go to.

I haven't see Purdue or Virginia play...why don't you explain it.

I agree that Iowa has multiple problems that I have mentioned...

PG is one of them...glad we agree...

My guess would be that if was the PG on Iowa...even at my age and lack of lateral movement...I could QB a top 20 team if I was surrounded by Lebron, Griffith, Steph (at SG) and The Greek Freak. I am 6-4 1/2 and 240...and have never played PG... Actually, we would be a final four lock.
As I figured, you could not.

Let’s try another one. Hopefully (who knows) you’ve watched Iowa basketball? Let’s say for instance you traded our current version of JBo for a then Sophmore Mike Gesell on the 2013-2014 (Marble Sr year) team or a senior Mike Gesell on the 2015-2016 (Uthoff senior) team. Would those teams be tournament teams? Top 25 teams?

We know we would give up some in defense but I tend to think both of those teams would be just as good if not better with JBo. Marble’s team especially lacked 3pt shooting.

So if those teams could have been solid with JBo, why does this team suck because of JBo? Just seems weird that you rag on the position that currently has our second best player.

They have the number 1 scoring defense which I don’t care about. The Iowa defense in basketball is similar to Iowa offense in football. You don’t need it to be in the top tier, get it to the middle-of -the- pack or slightly below and it would make a world of difference. Given FM’s philosophy and style of play Iowa will always be in the bottom third in scoring defense. It is the defensive efficiency numbers and the points per possession numbers that matter.

Virginia plays a deliberate style of basketball TB obviously learned from his father. You are only going to get X amount of possessions so the scoring is going to be low. Yes, Virginia plays great team defense, but I am not sure they are the comparison you want to go to.
Virginia is #1 in the country in defensive efficiency by a fairly wide margin, which was the stat I was referring to in my post for what it’s worth.

My post is not claiming that Iowa will be Virginia by the way. I’m asking someone else why a team can be great defensively without a true PG, but Iowa sucks at defense because they don’t have a true point guard.

Realistically, we suck on defense because we have a lot of bad defensive players (including JBo) and a coach who isn’t very good at teaching the fundamentals of defense.

Virginia is #1 in the country in defensive efficiency by a fairly wide margin, which was the stat I was referring to in my post for what it’s worth.

My post is not claiming that Iowa will be Virginia by the way. I’m asking someone else why a team can be great defensively without a true PG, but Iowa sucks at defense because they don’t have a true point guard.

Realistically, we suck on defense because we have a lot of bad defensive players (including JBo) and a coach who isn’t very good at teaching the fundamentals of defense.

It has been the last 2 years where I thought the defense has been bad. I defended FM in the past when it came to D, but I am running out of ammo quick.

My bad. I just assumed you were talking about scoring defense. That seems to be everyone’s go to. Your point is valid.

Nike...What you said, I said in a prior post...

"We have a lot of bad defensive players and a coach who doesn't coach defensive fundamentals"

You don't need statistics to see (by watching) that Iowa plays hideous, pathetic, marshmallow defense...with disinterested, slow, fundamentally unsound players....being directed by a coach with a face as red as a tomato..

A slow PG is part of the problem, defensively, putting pressure on the rest of the cast...who aren't quick or interested enough to make up for the initial breakdowns...and get tired....

So you missed the Iowa win over then #1 MSU and then a few weeks later at the Breslin Center 3 years ago? Quite the Iowa fan you are....

Iowa does suck this year literally nobody disagrees with that. You’re saying they suck becaus they don’t have a true PG. I’m saying they suck because of a variety of things.

Let’s try this again and see if you can defend your position. Virginia and Purdue are both top 5 teams right now and neither of them employ a “true pg”. Care to explain that?
You are flat our wrong about Purdue not having a "true PG". Where on Earth did you get that notion? They actually start 2 PGs. Same with Virginia, for that matter.

Latest posts