Point Guard

Hmmmm...

"In the Hawkeyes’ 94-80 victory over Minnesota on Tuesday, Bohannon put up 20 points and 10 assists. It was the sixth time he notched a double-double that included assists, passing B.J. Armstrong for the most in school history. Armstrong, a picture- and dictionary-perfect point guard at Iowa and a three-time NBA champion, performed that task in four years. It took Bohannon less than two."

1). BJ avgd 8 mins per game as a FR at Iowa. That's less than every single scholarship player on our current roster, except for Uhl. So, what he accomplished was really done in 3 years at Iowa.
2).School records are nice. Good luck to him.

JBo's D against Minny was really good. I was surprised. He is playing heavy minutes don't forget, and running the offense. That has to take a toll. Moss would be a much better player if he slowed down. He must have relied on his quickness in high school, because his fundamentals are terrible. He reaches instead of moving his feet and falls for every head fake. Need to be patient with him, he is a soph, love to see some improvement though.

Figure it out?? Ok, you have to stop the penetration from JBo’s player and also cover your guy in the post. That’s what’s been killing Iowa most seasons as they give up way to many points to the opponents after they break down our defense. They are getting either easy points right under the basket or WIDE OPEN looks from three point land.

Wieskamp may add a distraction with his shooting ability next year that will help JBo get more open shots but if if Wieskamp lacks quickness defensively we will be facing the same problems we have this year. Next year could mean winning and losing by scores such as 107-102, :eek:

Ya figure it out. Are you saying there is nothing to do team defense wise to help cover up one bad defender?

Ya figure it out. Are you saying there is nothing to do team defense wise to help cover up one bad defender?
Yes, there is. But you have to, 1). Be disciplined. And that only comes from practicing team defense, which we now know that Fran doesn't do, 2). Communication on defense. Again, a practice issue.

Figure it out?? Ok, you have to stop the penetration from JBo’s player and also cover your guy in the post. That’s what’s been killing Iowa most seasons as they give up way to many points to the opponents after they break down our defense. They are getting either easy points right under the basket or WIDE OPEN looks from three point land.

Wieskamp may add a distraction with his shooting ability next year that will help JBo get more open shots but if if Wieskamp lacks quickness defensively we will be facing the same problems we have this year. Next year could mean winning and losing by scores such as 107-102, :eek:
Well Iowa does play a good amount of zone, which can help. JBo is not the only guy on this team with defensive issues. If we find others to guard the top perimeter threat and let JBo take the second option that’s also a good idea. JBo did a nice job on Mason last night who’s been an all conference player in this league.

Wisconsin for years has had good defensive teams even with guards that were slower of foot. TEAM defense can be an amazing thing.

Well Iowa does play a good amount of zone, which can help. JBo is not the only guy on this team with defensive issues. If we find others to guard the top perimeter threat and let JBo take the second option that’s also a good idea. JBo did a nice job on Mason last night who’s been an all conference player in this league.

Wisconsin for years has had good defensive teams even with guards that were slower of foot. TEAM defense can be an amazing thing.
Wisconsin never played zone defense when Bo Ryan was there.

It's more accurate to say we have a true point guard who sucks at defense than to say we don't have a true point guard. Our offense is pretty good actually, and that has a lot to do with him. We do need someone who can dribble drive tho. That can be a 2 guard just as easily. Marble would have been a perfect compliment to Bohannon.
Careful saying anything negative about the second coming of Chr...I mean Bohannon, lest you risk the ire of Leistikow, Morehouse, and Dochterman.

He’s BJ Armstrong only better, faster, stronger, and more dangerous on the court.

Careful saying anything negative about the second coming of Chr...I mean Bohannon, lest you risk the ire of Leistikow, Morehouse, and Dochterman.

He’s BJ Armstrong only better, faster, stronger, and more dangerous on the court.
Bohannon's a good player. He does suck at defense. The problem is the whole team sucks at defense, so he can't hide. He'll play 2G when Connor plays next year.

What's a bit ironic about this topic is that Bohannon and Armstrong are/were very similar players, with similar body types and skill sets. Neither is what you would classify as a classic PG. Armstrong was a better on-ball defender, but not by much (he struggled preventing dribble-penetration, much like Jordan), and both are/were 2-guard mentalities in a PG body. B.J. also was a little better in transition, but Jordan probably has the quicker release of the two.

B.J. landed on the perfect offense for him in Chicago. The Bulls at the time were running the triangle, and liked to have small more mobile perimeter players alongside MJ to primarily serve as snipers, such as B.J., John Paxson, Craig Hodges and Steve Kerr. (Pick your poison...play MJ straight up and risk getting dominated, or double him and give up the three). In transition, they had the luxury of MJ and Pippen to handle the ball, and didn't need to have a classic PG to be highly successful.

How do you know which player will guard him? For all you know, most teams will still have their 1s guard him and Fran will still have Bohannon guard their 1s.
The opposing coach would have no problem having their point guard Connor

How do you know which player will guard him? For all you know, most teams will still have their 1s guard him and Fran will still have Bohannon guard their 1s.
Most 2s and small forwards fall into that height range, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the case.

I don’t know many B1G teams out there with two six footers on the court at the same time. One will logically be up top with Connor.

If he plays 2g against 6’3 to 6’6 guys next year we are in serious trouble

That’s the problem a guy with a big wingspan chasing him all over the court. Those clean looks he gets coming off those baseline screens get much more difficult with a bigger and many times more athletic guy fighting through them.

I'll probably get killed for saying it, but JBo would look a lot better if he had Woodbury and Olaseni behind him on defense. Say what you want, but Adam gave people pause before penetrating and Gabe erased shots on penetrating guards. No one is worried about what they find if they get past Jordan. Even if Cook really wanted to dedicate himself to that kind of defense, he can't afford to if he can't avoid the fouls he's already getting. Same for Garza. Baer and it looks like maybe Nunge are going to be the shot-blockers for the near future.

The other thing that would help right now coming from current personnel is more plays like Moss' drive and lob to Cook. We're getting none of that on a regular (or even sporadic) basis. It made me thing of all the lobs that went to Aaron White.

Oh, and please stop over hedging on the screens. I don't know how teams keep missing their screener diving to the hoop, but I suspect they might do better the second time they play us after watching film from the first game.

JBo is an above average basketball player. There is no doubt about that. A lot of coaches around the country would love to have him. JMO, but I think he has a Steve Kerr look to his game. Kerr was 2 inches taller but 25 lbs. lighter in college. Stats are very similar so far. I think JBo might even have him in pure shooting ability.

All that said it doesn't change the fact that Iowa needs a lock down point guard on D to off set some of the really quick point guards in the BIG and against teams that will go far in the NCAA Tourney. Not sure if JBo has the quicks to ever do that. Kerr was no defensive wizard either but made up for it in BB smarts. There is no doubt in my mind that JBo has the ability to do that as well.

Opinions are gold on message boards. ;)

Wowza! What a stat and to do in two years. He's going to crush records, IMO.

He still has time to become an adequate to good defender.

Where are all the JoBo haters now?

Well like I said before he even stepped on the court in a Hawkeye uniform.......... his brother felt he is the best of the lot. I like his determination, shooting ability, and passing skills. Too bad you can’t teach

Yes if there is just one slow defender but there are times when we have several players that are slow on the court at the same time. Your best bet is playing zone and recruiting players that can play on both ends of the court. Lickliter really messed things up. Our offense was so terrible under him that we over compensated on the offensive side of the ball. It’s a sad situation.

Latest posts