Podolak

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Just got back from being part of an event where Ed Podolak was the honored guest...it was a Van Meter fundraiser...fun to be there.

Ed and I were up on stage together for a half hour or so...he had some great, great stories to tell, most all of them I had never heard before.

One of the cooler things I have seen in my time working in this genre was tonight when they showed highlights of the December 25th, 1971 game between the Chiefs and Dolphins, the longest game in NFL history..it was the game where Podolak went for 350 all purpose yards, still an NFL playoff record.

I intentionally stood behind Ed so I could watch his reactions...it was neat seeing him bobbing and weaving watching those old highlights on the big screen and seeing his reactions to his old coach Hank Stram talking about him, Garo Yepremian's attempt to tackle him on a KOR and the comments his former peers had about his day. Somewhat surreal actually.

I have always known that Podolak was involved in that game and that Podolak swims in deep waters with regards to the friends he has had in life (golfing buddies with Jack Nicholson, former neighbor of Hunter S. Thompson, buddies with Jimmy Buffet who wrote a song about Ed, etc)

But I had never wondered exactly how he came to know so many people...what I have learned over the last week preparing for this night and the 30 minute interview I basically did with him on stage was the effect that performance against the Dolphins had on the rest of his life.

That was the first time in NFL history where football games were played on Christmas Day...the Cowboys and Vikings were the early game with KC-Miami the late game...and then to have that game be one of the most memorable games in NFL history (still to this day) and the entire nation was watching it because that was the only thing on TV other than Hee Haw reruns (which is what the KC tv market saw, because the games used to be blacked out in the home market whether or not they were sold out)....

After that game, Ed said he flew to his home in Aspen and forgot about everything...but the biggest names in sports and entertainment had not forgotten about him, and he became admired by folks in those worlds..people wanted to meet him...the likes of Mickey Mantle, who was one of Ed's boyhood idols..that game really created a legend for him and probably was the key springboard moment for the rest of his life.

It was so much fun hearing him tell those stories. Some other nuggets re: Podolak from my prep work:

He is 16th all time at Iowa in career rushing yards and 16th in career passing yards. He has more passing yards than Nathan Chandler and Marc Vlasic.

Podolak was the top pick in the Canadian draft coming out of Iowa, and a second round NFL pick by KC. The folks in Regina (Canada) told him that he should play up there because it was a more open game and the Chiefs had a recent Heisman trophy winner at running back (Mike Garrett). Podolak felt he could beat Garrett out and opted to go to KC. After Ed's rookie season, the Chiefs traded Garrett.

He is still the 4th leading rusher in Chiefs history. He led KC in rushing four separate seasons and led them in receiving three times.

Great stuff Jon. I still remember our family sitting around the old RCA console TV (our first color set) watching and cheering for our Iowa guy. Was deeply bummmed for days after the Fins won. Still, that was the first OT football game I ever saw...a great memory.

Podolak's all purpose yards playoff record may stand for another 40 years, given how specialized the game is today

Ed became a legend to me the day he ran for 286 yards against Northwestern. As a young kid, I recall his great day against the Dolphins. I would have liked to have been there tonight. Thanks for the story.

Just got back from being part of an event where Ed Podolak was the honored guest...it was a Van Meter fundraiser...fun to be there.

Ed and I were up on stage together for a half hour or so...he had some great, great stories to tell, most all of them I had never heard before.

One of the cooler things I have seen in my time working in this genre was tonight when they showed highlights of the December 25th, 1971 game between the Chiefs and Dolphins, the longest game in NFL history..it was the game where Podolak went for 350 all purpose yards, still an NFL playoff record.

I intentionally stood behind Ed so I could watch his reactions...it was neat seeing him bobbing and weaving watching those old highlights on the big screen and seeing his reactions to his old coach Hank Stram talking about him, Garo Yepremian's attempt to tackle him on a KOR and the comments his former peers had about his day. Somewhat surreal actually.

I have always known that Podolak was involved in that game and that Podolak swims in deep waters with regards to the friends he has had in life (golfing buddies with Jack Nicholson, former neighbor of Hunter S. Thompson, buddies with Jimmy Buffet who wrote a song about Ed, etc)

But I had never wondered exactly how he came to know so many people...what I have learned over the last week preparing for this night and the 30 minute interview I basically did with him on stage was the effect that performance against the Dolphins had on the rest of his life.

That was the first time in NFL history where football games were played on Christmas Day...the Cowboys and Vikings were the early game with KC-Miami the late game...and then to have that game be one of the most memorable games in NFL history (still to this day) and the entire nation was watching it because that was the only thing on TV other than Hee Haw reruns (which is what the KC tv market saw, because the games used to be blacked out in the home market whether or not they were sold out)....

After that game, Ed said he flew to his home in Aspen and forgot about everything...but the biggest names in sports and entertainment had not forgotten about him, and he became admired by folks in those worlds..people wanted to meet him...the likes of Mickey Mantle, who was one of Ed's boyhood idols..that game really created a legend for him and probably was the key springboard moment for the rest of his life.

It was so much fun hearing him tell those stories. Some other nuggets re: Podolak from my prep work:

He is 16th all time at Iowa in career rushing yards and 16th in career passing yards. He has more passing yards than Nathan Chandler and Marc Vlasic.

Podolak was the top pick in the Canadian draft coming out of Iowa, and a second round NFL pick by KC. The folks in Regina (Canada) told him that he should play up there because it was a more open game and the Chiefs had a recent Heisman trophy winner at running back (Mike Garrett). Podolak felt he could beat Garrett out and opted to go to KC. After Ed's rookie season, the Chiefs traded Garrett.

He is still the 4th leading rusher in Chiefs history. He led KC in rushing four separate seasons and led them in receiving three times.

THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Awesome stuff.
Didn't Darren Sproles bump himself into 2nd or 3rd in that record list?
I remember watching Sproles light it up while playing for an injured LT against the Colts.
Crazy that two Iowa-born boys hold the 1st and 3rd most ap yards in a single playoff game.

Not to redirect here but does anyone know if the spring game today is online anywhere to watch?

One perk of being a relative "old-timer" on here, is being able to compare so many great Hawks through the years! Ed is on a very short list of the greatest Hawks of all time! My idol when he played in Iowa City, and then later at KC. Thanks, Jon for sharing this... and you are one lucky SOB. Not that you haven't earned it.:D

Not to redirect here but does anyone know if the spring game today is online anywhere to watch?

not to redirect here but the sportcenter top play was a hockey save and that really dissapoints me. and now espn has college softball on.:mad:

Great stuff Jon!

Besides having been an outstanding NFL running back, he is the best color analyst i've ever heard.

I will never forget listening to zabel describe that 68-34 win in 1968 vs NW where Eddie ran wild. It was such a thrill just to hear the descriptions of Iowa piling up points like that ...that shows how lean the times were in those days. I still have that Big Peach edition from that game...classic stuff!

And yes, Eddie is one of the great analysts around.

I will never forget listening to zabel describe that 68-34 win in 1968 vs NW where Eddie ran wild. It was such a thrill just to hear the descriptions of Iowa piling up points like that ...that shows how lean the times were in those days. I still have that Big Peach edition from that game...classic stuff!

And yes, Eddie is one of the great analysts around.

that would be cool to see that front page of the Peach. Anyway you can get a decent picture and post?

He really was a terrific player at Iowa. His analysis during Iowa games really adds to those broadcasts, IMO.

He also is a very generous person - he has given thousands of hours of time to many charities, including Variety Club.

Very impressive person

I remember watching that game when I was a kid. I was 10 at the time. It was an awsome game. I had no idea at the time that Podolak played for Iowa or that Iowa even had a football team for that matter. I became a Chief fan that day.

Latest posts