Podcast of 6/2 McCaffery Interview on KXNO

McCaffery just gets me more and more excited for Iowa basketball the more I hear him speak.

The suspense is killing me on who this potential new Hawkeye is!

Holy cow, check out Lamb's JC stats:

NJCAA

28 points, 12 boards, 6 assists, and 3 steals per game and shot 40% from 3.

I don't know what kind of competition he was playing, but that is pretty impressive.
He would also be the worst FT shooter on the team at 44%. Not too good if he drives the lane and gets fouled(i assume he does since he attempted 252 in 29 games which is about 9 attempts a game). It would be a nice pickup if this is indeed who the mysterious recruit is, it would also be nice to see him put in some work at the free throw line.

If it is Lamb, that could be a reason why the staff wanted it hush-hush. Players who are assumed to have signed after committing may not attract attention and if it were widely known that he was not signed you can bet there would be multiple suitors for any player with stats like that.

I hope it is him and I hope he commits--and that it sticks this time! ;)

"We've signed one player. We are getting ready to sign another..."

Sounds like it is a done deal whomever the new recruit is?

If it is Lamb, that could be a reason why the staff wanted it hush-hush. Players who are assumed to have signed after committing may not attract attention and if it were widely known that he was not signed you can bet there would be multiple suitors for any player with stats like that.

I hope it is him and I hope he commits--and that it sticks this time! ;)
Esp considering the signing period is OVER.

At this stage in the game, it's very touch and go.

The visit is set for tonight correct? Meaning a comitt could come as early as say Friday or at the latest Monday?(so the recruit can spend the weekend discussing with family)

A little later in the interview he said "hopefully he signs with us," but I agree, it sounds like Fran is pretty confident they're about to sign someone.

By the way that quote establishes at least one thing for sure: The prospective recruit is male. :p

It was nice the first couple weeks because we were getting way more info on recruits than with the previous regime. Now it appears as if the door is closing, which sucks.

I disagree Stormin and I said so when we were getting all that info. I, in fact, fell into the trap and started reporting stuff I was hearing that ended up not coming to pass.

First order of good PR. Don't report anything until you can report good news.

Well hopefully we get the new guys name tonight then coach can continue working towards 2011 and 2012

Just guessing but maybe Brockeith Pane. He was a one time Houston Cougar who then went JUCO (in Texas). Supposedly he has committed to Utah State but has not signed, at least from what I found.

What is the reason behind not being able to mention a recruit's name? It's sounds so ridiculous when everyone knows who is being referred to. Where is the harm with McCaffery saying he's interested in Marcus Paige? Is that the recruiting advantage the NCAA is trying to protect against.

What is the reason behind not being able to mention a recruit's name? It's sounds so ridiculous when everyone knows who is being referred to. Where is the harm with McCaffery saying he's interested in Marcus Paige? Is that the recruiting advantage the NCAA is trying to protect against.

They don't want recruiting to become a public war of words between coaches about who's more interested or which school is the better place for a kid. I think it's a very good rule and I would feel even more so if I were a coach. It's bad enough that they have to pander to these kids in private but if they had to do it constantly in public (and we had to listen), it would be ridiculous. Every time one kid's name was mentioned by a particular coach, another five kids not mentioned would feel "disrespected," with the encouragement of every rival coach trying to sign them.

I'd also prefer the present system if I were a parent--at least a parent really looking out for a kid's best interests. Would you rather have your son choose a school based on which is the best place for him to get an education and develop as a person and a player, or based on which coach broadcasts his name the most? And I guarantee you there are kids who would be influenced by that.

I much prefer getting info the way we do now.

Last edited:
Re: Agreed, but...

if the choices are 1) hearing about every guy Iowa is recruiting only to be disappointed when they don't come here, or 2) not knowing much until someone actually signs/commits, I'll take option 2.

This is partially why I did not renew my subscription on Scout. Caring is creepy :)

They don't want recruiting to become a public war of words between coaches about who's more interested or which school is the better place for a kid. I think it's a very good rule and I would feel even more so if I were a coach. It's bad enough that they have to pander to these kids in private but if they had to do it constantly in public (and we had to listen), it would be ridiculous. Every time one kid's name was mentioned by a particular coach, another five kids not mentioned would feel "disrespected," with the encouragement of every rival coach trying to sign them.

I'd also prefer the present system if I were a parent--at least a parent really looking out for a kid's best interests. Would you rather have your son choose a school based on which is the best place for him to get an education and develop as a person and a player, or based on which coach broadcasts his name the most? And I guarantee you there are kids who would be influenced by that.

I much prefer getting info the way we do now.

Freddy, my head tells me your right but I am so anxious for the basketball program to start getting some good news it is hard to wait until August when we know if the recruit will enroll. With football I am being much more patient because I know the staff can get the players they want...basketball is still a wait and see.

Maybe it is Thomas "AK-47" Feeney aka the Alaskan Assassin.
Could be. There was a press-citizen article a few weeks back that said there were two guards other than Coco that Fran was looking at, one being Anthony Salter and the other not named but a JUCO guard out of Texas. I'm betting that its the not named recruit.

Could be. There was a press-citizen article a few weeks back that said there were two guards other than Coco that Fran was looking at, one being Anthony Salter and the other not named but a JUCO guard out of Texas. I'm betting that its the not named recruit.

Well, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the b-ball staff knows who Feeney is, but I don't know if it is him who is visting.

Latest posts