Playoffs? Not going to happen

I can't believe people are still talking about the possibility of making the playoffs. How clueless can one group of people actually be?

Let me help you out. Iowa has a ZERO percent shot to make the playoffs. ZERO.

At this point in time they have beaten one team with a winning record, and that was UNI. They also lost to Iowa State who is 2-6 and the laughing stock of the Big 12. They still have to play Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota... which from what I've seen up to this point in the season there's a good chance they could drop two out of the three or maybe even all three if the craptastic team that lost to ISU and Maryland shows up.

Even if Iowa wins out they would have only beaten four teams with winning records in the regular season. That's not a favorable stat when it's selection time.

Saturday was a great win and it was awesome to see the offense open up. Unfortunately, it's too little to late for playoffs. The sooner you realize that the better off you're going to be and the less upset you're going to be when they're not even in the conversation.

Wrong. When Ebola sweeps through the East Coast, South, and West Coast, we'll end up in a rematch with UNI for the natty title.

I sincerely hope that it's just Cyclone trolls with too much time on their hands having fun here. I would hope that nobody is actually that clueless.

Did you see the election results in 2008/2012? There's around 100 million clueless people in this country. 50 million of them are overweight and get food (stamps) assistance with their EBT card. Come visit the rest of us on planet earth when you get some free time.

It took me awhile but I came up with a scenario that could allow this to happen. See it a few posts ago.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NCHawker

Re: Playoffs? Not going to happen
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NCHawker
not even if Iowa beats everyone on the schedule and BT East champ 55 - 0 ? not even then?

Well let's double it then

to a hundred and eleven and then

or a hundred and four?

what if the hawks beat 'em all by a hundred and four

wouldn't it, couldn't perhaps

open the door?

Sam-I-Am_1.gif

It would not, could not open the door.

Not doubling it, not taken times four.

Iowa has already made it's bed,

Despite what that looney, Hawknick, said.

It's just not going to happen, for sure.

Sorry, no playoffs N C Hawker.

great work guys!

There is no way Iowa would make the playoff, no way. They would not even be a thought. They are currently unranked and have too big a hill to climb. The Sagarrin rating of the teams they've played has been horrible so no team with two losses is going to shoot up & trump the other conference teams. My goal for the team is to win the W & make the BIG championship game & go to one of the nicest "non-playoff" bowls. That at least is still possible.

Agree 100%.

Unranked with 4 (possibly 5) games to go, and people think Iowa can make it all the way to the Top 4? I don't see it. Even if Iowa wins out, including the Big Ten title game, and comes even close to the Top 5, the committee is still going to look at how pathetic the Big Ten is, along with Iowa's losses to ISU & MD that are already in the books.

No chance this happens IMO. None.

Heck, even if Iowa had gone 13-0 with this schedule, you can bet your boots there would be a ton of people still saying they aren't deserving. There were a lot of people saying the same thing about OSU a year or two ago the year they went undefeated (although ineligible for the post season) in the "if there was a playoff" discussions.

Iowa could have gone 13-0 and wouldn't be ranked higher than 8th. We don't get to be higher because we're Iowa and not in the SEC. Top ten is reserved for 7 EC, 1 BIG, 1 little 12, and 1 Pac 12.

Iowa could have gone 13-0 and wouldn't be ranked higher than 8th. We don't get to be higher because we're Iowa and not in the SEC. Top ten is reserved for 7 EC, 1 BIG, 1 little 12, and 1 Pac 12.

Would love to test this theory this year, but alas, too late.

I believe that the acid test this year would have been Iowa....going 13-0 with this schedule and not getting in would have blown this thing up, I think.

I am getting increasingly turned off by the whole playoff concept.
Iowa can win the Big Ten title at this point, but for many fans, the season is over anyway, due to omission from the playoffs.
It just feels like the Big Ten had no shot at making the playoffs this year, or maybe ever.

One thing that it drives home to me....the only way Iowa ever makes it is to go undefeated, and that means playing all cupcakes in the non-conference, just like Miss. St....it makes the season easier when you can concentrate on 2-3 tough games only,....I see that Ole Miss is playing Prespaterian this week. Another thing Iowa needs to do to try to get in the playoff.....sprinkle in games vs Buena Vista in November to allow them to prepare for the few real games at the end. This playoff concept will hurt the Big Ten....league will quickly become irrelevant outside of OSU....and this is a good thing? BS!

I think we need to root for MSU this weekend, beating them in the B10 championship game will give us a bigger boost than beating OSU would

I think we need to root for MSU this weekend, beating them in the B10 championship game will give us a bigger boost than beating OSU would
In my scenario msu loses 1 of it's other regular season games. Osu loses to msu and and Minnesota. This way Iowa's win over msu in the big 10 championship gives them better overall records than both osu and msu thus removing those teams as competition for a play off spot.

YOU GUYS ALL REALIZE THAT TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD IT LOOKS LIKE WE'RE SMOKING THE DRAPES TALKING ABOUT THE BTCC GAME?

Agree 100%.

Unranked with 4 (possibly 5) games to go, and people think Iowa can make it all the way to the Top 4? I don't see it. Even if Iowa wins out, including the Big Ten title game, and comes even close to the Top 5, the committee is still going to look at how pathetic the Big Ten is, along with Iowa's losses to ISU & MD that are already in the books.

No chance this happens IMO. None.

Heck, even if Iowa had gone 13-0 with this schedule, you can bet your boots there would be a ton of people still saying they aren't deserving. There were a lot of people saying the same thing about OSU a year or two ago the year they went undefeated (although ineligible for the post season) in the "if there was a playoff" discussions.

Exactly, Iowa didn't have the schedule this year to have a legit title run. Iowa would have had to at least start in the top 25 to even be considered.

Exactly, Iowa didn't have the schedule this year to have a legit title run. Iowa would have had to at least start in the top 25 to even be considered.

Nebraska has lost to the only ranked team it has played, is 8-1, and is ranked 13. If we were 8-0, we'd have to be at least that, because they haven't beaten anyone decent yet (Is Miami decent? Maybe.) We would close out with wins over Wisky, Nebby, and possibly MSU in a national stage. At 13-0, we'd have to be at least strongly considered.

Also, I don't think that starting in the top 25 would matter, since the rankings that matter are only in their second week. If we had been 7-0, we most certainly would have been ranked in the top 10.

If we went 13-0 and didn't make the playoff, can you imagine what HN would be like?

In my scenario msu loses 1 of it's other regular season games. Osu loses to msu and and Minnesota. This way Iowa's win over msu in the big 10 championship gives them better overall records than both osu and msu thus removing those teams as competition for a play off spot.

This doesn't make any sense. You don't get a spot for winning a conference. If this scenario happened there would still LOTS AND LOTS of two loss teams that are a hundred times better than Iowa.

That is just a portion of the scenario that I posted in another post. I went through all the 1 and 2 loss teams with a higher SOS and how it is theoretically possible that they could all be 3 loss teams by the end of the season. This would give Iowa a chance. Osu and msu are just 2 of the teams.

I wonder if the committee would go for an Iowa-MSU rematch in the first round of the playoff? Assuming we win out and MSU just loses to us in the B10 championship game, I wouldn't think they would drop that far. A 10-2 OSU team may get unfairly bumped out though.

Latest posts