Playoffs? Not going to happen

That is just a portion of the scenario that I posted in another post. I went through all the 1 and 2 loss teams with a higher SOS and how it is theoretically possible that they could all be 3 loss teams by the end of the season. This would give Iowa a chance. Osu and msu are just 2 of the teams.

Everything you say is irrelevant due to the fact you still think it's possible. 3 loss team still gets in ahead of a 2 loss Iowa.

You need to realize Iowa is not a good football team. They haven't beaten anybody that's any good and they lost to Iowa State, which some analysts are still saying are one of the top 10 worst football teams this year. There is no scenario you can put together that gets Iowa in.

At the end of the scenario Iowa would have quality wins over Minnesota Wisconsin Nebraska and MSU or O$U. That could be enough to beat out 3 loss teams. It is also theoretically possible that some of the 3 loss teams could lose in their conference championship games to make it to 4 losses. It is also theoretically possible that some of the teams Iowa played already could still win a lot of games that remain on their schedules to boost Iowa strength of schedule.

Exactly, Iowa didn't have the schedule this year to have a legit title run. Iowa would have had to at least start in the top 25 to even be considered.

in 2002, Iowa did not receive a single vote in the Week 5 Top 25 Rankings.
Week 5, 0 votes
Week 6, 2 votes!
Week 7 N/R but 95 votes
Week 8 at 5-1 they debuted at #20.
Week 9 # 16
Week 10 #14
Week 11 # 10 !
Week 12 # 6
Week 13 # 5
Week 14 # 4
Week 15 # 3! behind the only undefeated team left: Miami and OSU

OSU won a bunch of very close games: Cincy by 4, Wisk by 5, PSU 6, PU 4 with some miracles, IL in OT by 6, UM by 5. Meanwhile, Iowas was crushing everything in its path!

We only beat TWO ranked teams that year: #12 PSU and #8 UM.
MSU and Wiscy both began rated, but fell from the Top 25 before we played (and beat) them. ISU joined top 25 a couple weeks after beating Iowa.

Last edited:
13-0 and not making the playoff? 6-2 and making the playoff?

Dear god, there is a lot of stupid around here nowadays.

Here is what we need:

Iowa wins out
LSU loses to Arkansas
Alabama loses to Miss. State and W. Carolina
Georgia loses to Georgia Tech
Georgia tech loses to NC State
Auburn loses to Samford and Georgia
MSU loses to Iowa and Maryland or Rutgers or Pedo State
Old Miss loses to Miss. Sate
Missouri loses to Texas A&M
Oregon loses to Colorado in Oregon State
Utah loses to Oregon
TCU. Loses to Kansas in Texas
Kansas State loses to TCU and Kansas
Arizona State loses to WSU and Oregon State
Notre Dame loses to Arizona State and Louisville
Baylor loses to Texas Tech and Oklahoma State
Oklahoma loses to Baylor
Nebraska loses to Iowa and Minnesota or Wisconsin
Ohio State loses to Michigan State and Minnesota
Aizona loses any game
UCLA loses any game
Clemson loses any game
Duke loses any 2 games
And perhaps a few more results that I missed.

Say we played by the rules of of 2024, even in a 16 team playoff, Iowa would face a challenge ahead to make it. Just be happy if we have a chance to compete for B1G after losing to clonestown.

Here is what we need:

Iowa wins out
LSU loses to Arkansas
Utah loses to Oregon
Oklahoma loses to Baylor
Aizona loses any game
UCLA loses any game
Clemson loses any game
Duke loses any 2 games

We don't need Ohio St or Nebraska to lose more than once. We also don't need to worry about many of the teams you have listed, Duke, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Ole Miss, Utah are all eliminated, we will move ahead of them just by winning out.

Here is what we need:

Iowa wins out
LSU loses to Arkansas
Utah loses to Oregon
Oklahoma loses to Baylor
Aizona loses any game
UCLA loses any game
Clemson loses any game
Duke loses any 2 games

So about a 50 50 shot?

The bad thing is if Samford beats Auburn they will probably jump up to number 4 so we will need them to lose more too.

I have Samford at 3 losses already, even with a victory over Auburn they would probably not get that big of a jump because their SOS is not very good. Alternatively Auburn could potentially lose to Texas A&M without having them jump ahead of Iowa in the end, but I did not want to risk it in my scenario Samford is a better win for Iowa in general.

I have Samford at 3 losses already, even with a victory over Auburn they would probably not get that big of a jump because their SOS is not very good. Alternatively Auburn could potentially lose to Texas A&M without having them jump ahead of Iowa in the end, but I did not want to risk it in my scenario Samford is a better win for Iowa in general.

I see what you're saying but if they don't jump them up really high, how will they justify only moving Auburn down a couple spots?

I also have them losing to Georgia. The 2 losses combined should move them out of playoff contention. Georgia also loses to Georgia Tech to keep them out of the play offs.

This thread validates every cliche that my ASU friends have ever said about Iowa fans. I pray that none of them read it.

Here is what we need:

Iowa wins out
LSU loses to Arkansas
Utah loses to Oregon
Oklahoma loses to Baylor
Aizona loses any game
UCLA loses any game
Clemson loses any game
Duke loses any 2 games

And we still wouldn't sniff the playoffs, we wouldn't even get in the top 6, even if that scenario plays out. Sos and eyeball test still matter.

That said, let's win this Saturday so this magnificent debate can rage on.

And we still wouldn't sniff the playoffs, we wouldn't even get in the top 6, even if that scenario plays out. Sos and eyeball test still matter.

That said, let's win this Saturday so this magnificent debate can rage on.

Actually in his scenario, if we dominated every game from here on out we would definitely sniff the playoffs. We still might not make it, but teams 4 through 8 have to be made up of someone. If all of that did play out, all the other teams would be at least just as undeserving as us.

Actually in his scenario, if we dominated every game from here on out we would definitely sniff the playoffs. We still might not make it, but teams 4 through 8 have to be made up of someone. If all of that did play out, all the other teams would be at least just as undeserving as us.

Fair enough PC. I just believe that due to perception being reality as it concerns any team in the B1G, all those other teams being just as undeserving as Iowa, still get the benefit of the doubt.

Still, win Saturday, and let hope ring!

Latest posts