Playoff Invite vs Rose Bowl

MelroseHawkins

Some time ago I started a thread about how the Rose Bowl has lost some of its luster secondary to the BCS and now playoff system. Many on here were saying they still would rather go to the Rose Bowl instead of having a playoff invite, with the threat of getting crushed. I was wondering how many have changed that tune now after going on this journey and being so close. Who is man or woman enough to admit they changed their opinion about this?

The Rose Bowl is a complete 2nd thought in my mind. Wondering what others think.

Some time ago I started a thread about how the Rose Bowl has lost some of its luster secondary to the BCS and now playoff system. Many on here were saying they still would rather go to the Rose Bowl instead of having a playoff invite, with the threat of getting crushed. I was wondering how many have changed that tune now after going on this journey and being so close. Who is man or woman enough to admit they changed their opinion about this?

The Rose Bowl is a complete 2nd thought in my mind. Wondering what others think.

The Rose Bowl is great. "The Grand Daddy of them all" But with the College football playoffs, if you get a chance to get in the playoffs to win a National Championship that is a good as it gets. Not even close.

Yes we all know playoff is foremost. But the Rose should be the first fallback.
Peach against Houston? Didn't think so....

I honestly, sincerely don't give a rat's pink arse where we go if we don't win tomorrow night.

It's the playoffs. We're essentially playing a quarterfinal playoff game. That's the actual position we're in.

Rose? Peach? Fiesta? Who gives a crap. Win or go home as far as I'm concerned.

The Rose Bowl isn't what it used to be. Its the reality of the sport today. Make the Final Four and people CANT ignore you. You're one of the bets 4 teams in college football.

We're already in the playoffs. We have a quarterfinal game against the Spartans for a chance to advance to the Final Four. But make no mistake....we're playing in a playoff game tomorrow.

If we lose, then I'm not sure I care too much where we end up as a consolation.....

I honestly, sincerely don't give a rat's pink arse where we go if we don't win tomorrow night.

It's the playoffs. We're essentially playing a quarterfinal playoff game. That's the actual position we're in.

Rose? Peach? Fiesta? Who gives a crap. Win or go home as far as I'm concerned.

This x 1000.

The Rose Bowl isn't what it used to be. Its the reality of the sport today. Make the Final Four and people CANT ignore you. You're one of the bets 4 teams in college football.

Call me jaded...but I don't think a win tomorrow night will do much in the respect/ignore aspect....if we win (by anything less than a 50-0 blowout)...people will still doubt this team...if you care about people ignoring this team...there HAS to be two wins.

If we just beat MSU, we will hear about how we got lucky that Cook wasn't 100% etc...it's just the facts...

And yeah first and foremost I want a national title given we are this close....but a VERY close second is a Rose Bowl. We will most likely never be undefeated again in my lifetime though, so since we are this close...let's win it all.

We're already in the playoffs. We have a quarterfinal game against the Spartans for a chance to advance to the Final Four. But make no mistake....we're playing in a playoff game tomorrow.

If we lose, then I'm not sure I care too much where we end up as a consolation.....

I think if Iowa loses tomorrow whever they go will feel like a let down. I would rather win tomorrow and lose in the "1st" CFP game then go to some other random bowl game.

Tomorrow is everything.

If we lose, I don't care which bowl we end up in. It will be an exhibition like every other bowl we've ever gone to.

This year is about the impossible dream that may never happen again.

Since I believe it would take an Florida upset over Alabama to get Iowa in the Rose Bowl for me it is Playoffs or bust. After the season they had anything else would be a disappointment.

I sure wish the Rose Bowl was a fall back option if Iowa did lose tomorrow.

The B1G championship isn't even close to the playoffs from a recognition and recruiting standpoint. But being one of the final four? That's truly national attention.

Tomorrow's game is the biggest by far we have ever had but to say if we lose the other Bowls don't matter isn't giving this team there due.This team deserves our support regardless of what happens tomorrow.Thats what Hawk Fans Do.Go Hawks

The B1G championship isn't even close to the playoffs from a recognition and recruiting standpoint. But being one of the final four? That's truly national attention.

I'm well aware that the ACTUAL playoff is a much bigger stage....but if you don't think tomorrow's game is a de facto quarterfinal playoff game, then you're kidding yourself. If there was a chance we made the playoff even with a loss, then you could call it a "simple" conference championship game. But it's not. It's an old-style "loser leave home" match-up.....and I, for one, can't wait!

We all get what you are saying. I think everyone admits Iowa has been in a playoff situation for the last at least 3 weeks.

I started this to gauge where everyone's head is now comparing the two. Weeks ago there were many saying they'd rather go to the Rose over a playoff where Iowa could get beat bad. I wanted to see who felt like that, but the general feeling is that most if not all are all on the playoff bandwagon now. Everyone has the bug. The Rose is an afterthought to me. Yes, I'd like to see them go there if not the 4 team playoff, but they end up in another Jan. 6 big bowl which is good enough for me.

We all get what you are saying. I think everyone admits Iowa has been in a playoff situation for the last at least 3 weeks.

I started this to gauge where everyone's head is now comparing the two. Weeks ago there were many saying they'd rather go to the Rose over a playoff where Iowa could get beat bad. I wanted to see who felt like that, but the general feeling is that most if not all are all on the playoff bandwagon now. Everyone has the bug. The Rose is an afterthought to me. Yes, I'd like to see them go there if not the 4 team playoff, but they end up in another Jan. 6 big bowl which is good enough for me.

There were a few old-timers who were saying the Rose Bowl over the Playoff....but I wouldn't classify it as "many".

I think the general consensus now is that anything other than the Playoff would feel like a letdown. I know I'll certainly be bummed for a few weeks if they don't get to the Playoff. But for me, as long as they don't end up in the Peach against Houston/Temple, I'll end up getting jazzed to see them play again come bowl time.

There were a few old-timers who were saying the Rose Bowl over the Playoff....but I wouldn't classify it as "many".

I think the general consensus now is that anything other than the Playoff would feel like a letdown. I know I'll certainly be bummed for a few weeks if they don't get to the Playoff. But for me, as long as they don't end up in the Peach against Houston/Temple, I'll end up getting jazzed to see them play again come bowl time.

Yea, that would completely suck & be a deflater after this season.

Don't know if I will be bummed that long,maybe if Neb. beat us but will be following this team where ever they end up.Lets get the win tomorrow,then we can worry about the next one.Go Hawks

I won't be too upset if we lose, but only if we go to the Peach bowl. Playoff, Rose against Stanford, Fiesta against ND, all would be great. Just not in a made up New Years Six Peach bowl against Houston or whoever.

Latest posts