Play in game?

I think we're on the bubble. We are #45 in the NET. There are 32 auto bids and 36 at large bids for the NCAA tourney. There are only 13 confs with auto bids represented in the 44 spots above us. That's 44 teams ahead of us - 13 auto bids of 32 guaranteed = 19 auto bids that will come from teams currently rated lower than us at #45. That means that there are currently 31 teams ahead of us in the NET, that already have a conf member ahead of them.
13 auto bids ahead of us + 19 auto bids below us + 31 teams rated higher that represent 2nd+ bids from deep conferences. TOTAL of 63 bids either guaranteed by auto bid or are teams currently ahead of us in the NET. That leaves 3 open spots and we still have games to play. If we lose to Nebby and lose the first round of the BTT, and we drop 3 spots or more in the NET....how are we guaranteed to get into the NCAA tourney? What am I missing? Are they using additional metrics?

I think we're on the bubble. We are #45 in the NET. There are 32 auto bids and 36 at large bids for the NCAA tourney. There are only 13 confs with auto bids represented in the 44 spots above us. That's 44 teams ahead of us - 13 auto bids of 32 guaranteed = 19 auto bids that will come from teams currently rated lower than us at #45. That means that there are currently 31 teams ahead of us in the NET, that already have a conf member ahead of them.
13 auto bids ahead of us + 19 auto bids below us + 31 teams rated higher that represent 2nd+ bids from deep conferences. TOTAL of 63 bids either guaranteed by auto bid or are teams currently ahead of us in the NET. That leaves 3 open spots and we still have games to play. If we lose to Nebby and lose the first round of the BTT, and we drop 3 spots or more in the NET....how are we guaranteed to get into the NCAA tourney? What am I missing? Are they using additional metrics?

They are most likely in, but is losing by 20 on the opening thursday really anything?

They are most likely in, but is losing by 20 on the opening thursday really anything?
How is my math flawed? I keep hearing people say they are "in" or most likely "in". My math right now says we are a bubble team according to the NET. And that doesn't account for any small conf tournament upsets that could happen.

I am not convinced that Iowa is a lock. Lose to Nebby and also lose first round of the BTT, I think there will be a lot of anxiety next Sunday.

My best guess would be first four.. But I'm not sold on that.

Last edited:
How is my math flawed? I keep hearing people say they are "in" or most likely "in". My math right now says we are a bubble team according to the NET. And that doesn't account for any small conf tournament upsets that could happen.
Do you know the NET of Ohio State and Minnesota? It would be hard to make a case for them if Iowa gets left out. And would leave the B1G with five bids, quite a comedown from the eight or nine that the talking heads brought up all year.

Of course there is still the BTT to play. An opportunity for everyone to raise their NET. And it isn't unheard of for a B1G team to get skipped over and for a lower conference finishing team to steal their bid. In 1998 Iowa finished ahead of Indiana AND swept them head to head. Indiana had a decided edge in every other metric, none the least of which was the star power of their coach, and stole the NCAA bid.

Uh oh. Someone let an 8 year old hack their account.
I can make a more adult arguement about why the first four is a play in game, but i was just playing to the level of the competition. Just look at the symmetry of the 64 team field, and then notice that odd little appendage sticking out in Dayton. It is the appendix of the Big Dance. You have to win that game if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself playing in it before you get admitted to the ball proper.

I can make a more adult arguement about why the first four is a play in game, but i was just playing to the level of the competition. Just look at the symmetry of the 64 team field, and then notice that odd little appendage sticking out in Dayton. It is the appendix of the Big Dance. You have to win that game if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself playing in it before you get admitted to the ball proper.

Doesn't matter; name mentioned on Selection Sunday

Doesn't matter; name mentioned on Selection Sunday

Remember back in the late 90's or early 2000's, when it was the "Field of 65" and they called that game between two 16 seeds the "play in game"? That was mentioned on the selection show, too.

They are play in games regardless of whether they are called "the play in games" or the "first four". First Four just sounds better.

Just a guess on my part I haven't put any thought into this. You hope that teams like Furman and St. Mary's don't win their conference tourney. A weak bubble gives advantage to the power 6 schools.

So.....back when there were 48 teams and some had byes.....those teams that didn’t must have had play in games then.

The First Four are not play in games. Those teams ARE in the tournament according to the NCAA (you know...the organization that runs the tournament). That is a fact, pure and simple. Just because some ignorant fans call them play in games doesn’t make it so.

So.....back when there were 48 teams and some had byes.....those teams that didn’t must have had play in games then.

The First Four are not play in games. Those teams ARE in the tournament according to the NCAA (you know...the organization that runs the tournament). That is a fact, pure and simple. Just because some ignorant fans call them play in games doesn’t make it so.

Look out, folks. We got us a genuine internet expert shutting this here debate down with authority.

No, its not a play in game, despite what you and a few other uninformed people may think. Ask the NCAA.....do THEY call it a play in game? No. Please stop perpetuating this nonsense.

Back on topic...if the Hawks lose to Nebraska and their first game in the BTT, then the First Four game is best case scenario IMO.
Calling it First Four is the equivalent of a participation trophy. It’s a play-in game.

Latest posts