Pizza Jointz

When I grew up there, they had one - Jerry's. Initially, it wasn't very good. But, over time it improved into pretty good pizza. Scornavacca's was one of the best in Des Moines. Right now though, it's Pagliai's all the way.

I remember Jerry's. They tried to bring it back a few years ago, but it wasn't the same.

Love me some pizza...

Just got back from vacation in South Carolina low country/outer islands, stopped over last night in Nashville. We REALLY enjoyed Soulshine's pizza on Music Row. It was outstanding! Plus, Slap Yo Mama Bread Pudding!

I'm a fan of several mentioned here already, but would throw in Bianchi Brothers in Altoona (for Italian food, also). I lived in Adair for 5 years and know the owner at Zipp's, but have yet to try it.

We had a Bianchi Boys in Knoxville for a while. Not for sure, if that is the same place, but the one in Knoxville sucked. Tombstone frozen pizza was better than this place.

I've enjoyed these reviews on twitter by Barstool sports. Great stuff.

one bite, everyone knows the rules
==============================================

I first lived in Iowa City when Gumby's started. Been around a long time now. It was my main go to since was cheap, but was good to. I remember that being the first pizza that would get extra butter garlic sauce to put on. Sausage/jalapeno sounds good.

Yea, for chain, Old Chicago is hard to beat.

I live in the IC area and never heard of the Guyers Pizza. You mean it's just a farm where they stuck these brick ovens and cook pizza's to serve people? Thank's for the heads up.

Guyers is 5 miles south of Oxford. They do the second and fourth Thursday of the month during the summer. There where close to 300 people down on the farm the last time. Parking can be a pain and earlier is better. Any time between 5 and 6 is best. They use only stuff they have grown in some way down on the farm. 1259 Rohret Rd SW Oxford. Their facebook is Guyers Brick Oven. If you cant tell, yes I am a fan!

Those of you citing a pizza joint in Iowa, have you had pizza outside the state?
Shakespeare's Pizza in Columbia, Missouri. Never been there but a college buddy brings four of them half baked to our golf outing at Lake Panorama every year. Better than anything around here.

No mention of Secret Pizza?

Maybe not the best pizza, but it was my favorite whenever I found out where they were. Hard to turn down a free two-liter Mt. Dew as a college student. :)

Davanni's in Minneapolis is pretty solid. Bob Roe's and Alfredo's in Sioux City. Alfredo's sauce isn't for everyone but damn it's tasty.

My wife and I have been starting to get a cheap Papa Murphy's $5 single, and then we dice up a bunch of onion, peppers, olives, mushrooms, add a little homemade pizza sauce and some and gouda....and cook it on the rack. P Murph's has pretty solid dough so it actually comes out awesome. We figure it becomes about a $8-$9 pie and feeds the whole fam. Easy, Cheap, and I actually put it up there on quality.

Am I the only one that makes home made pizza using frozen bread dough for crust? Just spread it out, add whatever sauce and toppings you like and stick it in the oven.... It's awesome!

I used to use a bread machine to make the dough. Stopped doing that when I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I prefer to get my carbs from other sources than pizza crust, no matter how good the crust might be.

An out of state one is my wife's pizza. She uses sourdough and pineapple as a different touch, besides the usual stuff......mmmmmmm

My wife and I have been starting to get a cheap Papa Murphy's $5 single, and then we dice up a bunch of onion, peppers, olives, mushrooms, add a little homemade pizza sauce and some and gouda....and cook it on the rack. P Murph's has pretty solid dough so it actually comes out awesome. We figure it becomes about a $8-$9 pie and feeds the whole fam. Easy, Cheap, and I actually put it up there on quality.

Brilliant idea! You can customize it as you wish different times. Nicely done.

Bamies Pizza was the best I have ever had

It was a trip to go to his place. I would take the boys there when they were in elementary school and they loved it. He would have them clear the tables for him and them give them a huge bag of candy.....

Went there one time with my girlfriend, The Doctor's Daughter. We were sitting at the table and he came around with the fireman's device that sprayed a mist. He held it under the table and let loose. She glared at him and said: How Dare You. There was a long table full of guys with white shirts and ties. They burst out laughing. She wasn't pleased and wanted to go, but I paid and drove there.....

When the seats at the bar were full, he would shout: Anybody want chicken? Then slap a rubber chicken on the bar and slam it with a rubber mallet.....

The owner of Petesaria on SW 9th across from Lincoln was a friend of mine and he told me that he would watch Bamie walk thru Hy-Vee, grabbing a piece of fruit and walk around eating it.....

One of DM"s most colorful people.....

He is missed, and by the way, his pizza was the absolute best, makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Basic ingredients, nothing fancy. The pepperoni and cheese was my favorite. After he passed away, his son would make pizzas in the basement of his house. Friend of mine told me that I could still get Bamies Pizza. He gave me the phone number and I called him and told him I would love to get another Bamies Pie. He said: Who gave you this number. I told him and he said: Alright. I ordered, drove across town to the SouthSide, picked it up, and was in Heaven.....

Unfortunately, that didn't last long.....

:cool:

Since my last post in this thread, I have experienced a pizza which took over my "top spot" for pizza in Chicago. And have found out it is a favorite of many Chicago locals as well.

Used to be Gino's East, no one could touch it.

Now, it's Pequod's in Lincoln Park area. Seriously, while in Chicago give it a try! First thing they do is layer slices of cheese along the edge of the pan, so when it cooks you get that caramelized crispy almost burnt edge. Unreal! There will be a wait, but it is completely worth it! There's a bar next door which is a little less crowded to wait it out.
pequods-pizza-chicago.jpg

pequod-delicate-cheese-procedure-01-P1010286.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts