Pizza Jointz

Has anyone tried Roscoe's Pizza in Cedar Rapids? They are in that outdoor plaza behind Taco John's on Edgewood Rd. Their taco pizza is excellent.

Pizzeria Lola in Minneapolis.....fantastic wood fired pizza...

Outstanding. And you should visit their arch rival, Red Wagon Pizza, just a mile or so away. Also excellent wood fired pizza. Great back story behind the restaurant. Black Sheep in the Twin Cities is also excellent.

Headed to Boston in a few weeks, any recommends?

Was just there. Grab a Taxi (or Uber) and go to the North End (directly adjacent to the main downtown) Funky old Italian neighborhood loaded with restaurants...a number of good pizza places. (you can also see the Old North Church)

Was just there. Grab a Taxi (or Uber) and go to the North End (directly adjacent to the main downtown) Funky old Italian neighborhood loaded with restaurants...a number of good pizza places. (you can also see the Old North Church)
Yeah staying right by the Old North Church so looking forward to all the good eats there.

Not a Harris fan. Something about it. Like they chop up every topping too small or something. Wife is from the Quad and when we have family get-togethers a family often gets Harris. Both she and I get quite sick of it. I know it's well known around there, but I think there are much better out there, IMO. I don't quite understand the hype.

Completely agree. As a long-time QCA transplant with a native wife, I, too, suffered the Harris initiation.
(Between them and the other QCA originals - Happy Joe's and Whitey's Ice Cream - I don't know which commands more of the natives' blind devotion. It's almost cult-like. ;))

No disrespect intended. They're all fine and tasty in their own right. However, there is one in the QCA that consistently sets the bar - Sports Fans. It's the sweet sourdough crust and cheese that simply make it the best I've had, anywhere. Uno's deep dish is second.

That said, they may get a challenge from a couple alt places that have sprung up in the QCA ... Crust (stone oven) has come into it's own and Treehouse Pub (a new wood fired place) is strong out of the gate (the Maple Tree Bacon is pretty damn good). Thing is, with the alt cooking methods, it can be great one time and not great the next.

Is Pizza Pit still in Iowa City? Pizza was super greasy, but I loved their sausage and pepperoni combo. Wasn't great eating it was just cheap late night food after boozin.

Always remembered their slogan: Free, Fast and Hot.

Am I the only one that makes home made pizza using frozen bread dough for crust? Just spread it out, add whatever sauce and toppings you like and stick it in the oven.... It's awesome!

Love me some pizza...

Just got back from vacation in South Carolina low country/outer islands, stopped over last night in Nashville. We REALLY enjoyed Soulshine's pizza on Music Row. It was outstanding! Plus, Slap Yo Mama Bread Pudding!

I'm a fan of several mentioned here already, but would throw in Bianchi Brothers in Altoona (for Italian food, also). I lived in Adair for 5 years and know the owner at Zipp's, but have yet to try it.

Who does pizzas on the grill? I love it and you can do any kind you want..it takes a little getting used to but done correctly it's a great way to do pizza...

So I somewhat consider myself a pizza snob! So here we go!

In Detroit (not that anyone wants to go there), there is a pizza place called Buddy's Pizza that is absolutely amazing. It is where the Detroit style pizza was started. It blows the Detroit style pizza at Tomaso's in Cedar Rapids out of the water, which is still very good nonetheless.

In Sewer City, I concur with Jerry's Pizza and Townhouse Pizza (similar to Bob Roe's), but my favorite there might be at El Fredo's. Their secret is their sauce, which is amazing. Their original sauce has a little kick to it. It is what makes their pizza stand out. So good!

In Cedar Rapids/Marion, my two favorites are easily Zoey's Pizza in Marion and Need Pizza in downtown CR. You may think I am nuts, but at Need Pizza try the white base with mashed potaotes, bacon, and giardineira. Out of this world if you like spicy and salty! The mashed potatoes add a nice creamy texture to it as well. Not to mention they have a pretty good tap list for beer. Need Pizza is based off the a pizza brewery in the Chicago area called Piece Pizza. At Zoey's in Marion, I would say their best thing by far is their cheese with toppings coming in a close second. Zoey's loads the cheese and toppings on and their garlic cheese bread is probably the best I have ever had.

Enjoy!

Out of Iowa-Tobin's in Bloomington, IL. for thin crust. For Chicago stuffed-Edwardo's in Chicago used to be my go to.

In state-out of the way and way underrated is Rod & Cals in Strawberry Point. Thin crust but still with a good chew, loaded with toppings. No need to order extra cheese because they have a healing helping right on top. Very tasty pie. For my money way better than Mabe's in Decorah.

I completely forgot about Mabe's.

Is Pizza Pit still in Iowa City? Pizza was super greasy, but I loved their sausage and pepperoni combo. Wasn't great eating it was just cheap late night food after boozin.

Always remembered their slogan: Free, Fast and Hot.

Oh yea. They're still here. They used to be a standby in the old Ad Sheet back in the day. Remember when the Ad Sheet was in IC?

Latest posts