Pizza Jointz

Local Iowa City Pizza-
Sams Chicago style. They don't skimp on the toppings.
Gumbys - Only their sausage/jalapeno pizza. Flavor is amazing. Otherwise meh.
Alexandros- Kalona pizza shop that makes thin crust Greek style which is more flaky and light rather then the heavier regular crust. Makes it so much better.

Best outside area pizza-
Giordanos in Chicago- They are the deep dish masters and they have a way of making the flavors pop rather then just having it be a bland pizza.

If you are in the Iowa City area during the summer, look up Guyers Pizza. Its a farm who has three brick ovens and they have all you can pizza on the second and fourth Thursday nights of the month. They make use farm fresh items and have some interesting pizzas. So very good for 12$!!

I first lived in Iowa City when Gumby's started. Been around a long time now. It was my main go to since was cheap, but was good to. I remember that being the first pizza that would get extra butter garlic sauce to put on. Sausage/jalapeno sounds good.

Yea, for chain, Old Chicago is hard to beat.

I live in the IC area and never heard of the Guyers Pizza. You mean it's just a farm where they stuck these brick ovens and cook pizza's to serve people? Thank's for the heads up.

Big fan of Wig and Pen. Pagliai's is a good call. Someone mentioned Big Tomato, which is awesome too. Back in the day I used to like The Other Place, but the last time I was there, the crust tasted like pre-made cardboard. That's the great thing about pizza. it can be found anywhere and you can put anything on it.

Second question - Any homemade pizza cooks out there? I've been making pizza at home for years. It's not an easy process to perfect. Especially if you make your own crust and sauce and like the crust cooked a certain way. I really like grilling it the most.

I agree. I can never master it at home like I'd like to. Usually the crust is what I am missing. I want a very good crust recipe that is airy to a point. In the past, I have used frozen bread dough which works pretty well. Have to make sure you give it time to sit in the fridge, though.

I'd like a homade wheat crust made with yeast and infused with something like tomato or jalapeno.

I take like a rotisserie chicken and pull the good stuff off. Take an onion, red and green pepper and grill that those separate and then put it all on like a flat bread. Grill it for 5 to 10, and then put like a sriracha/ranch mix sauce on the top and then a lil mozzarella cheese. Unbelievable.

You win!

In the Quad Cities area, Harris Pizza and all their knock-offs (there are probably four or five knock-offs open now). It's got to be the most copied pizza around. Cedar Rapids used to have a place called Cranky Hank's Pizza. They advertised themselves as "genuine Quad City style pizza"..... it was a Harris Pizza knock off.

In Muscatine, Salvatore's. Definitely. Nothing frozen, hand-made from scratch. The only pizza I've every had that approaches Salvatore's is Mabe's in Decorah. I'd put Salvatore's above Wig and Pen, Giordanno's and Pagliai's.

Not a Harris fan. Something about it. Like they chop up every topping too small or something. Wife is from the Quad and when we have family get-togethers a family often gets Harris. Both she and I get quite sick of it. I know it's well known around there, but I think there are much better out there, IMO. I don't quite understand the hype.

Knoxville has 3. Fast Freddies is carryout only. There is Wackos. Then they just opened a new one, That used to be in Des Moines, Corgiglianos. Had that for the first time, since they just opened July17. That is a good pizza.

Coriglianos used to be southside DSM for a long time then closed. They were very good. They are by Bradleys Bar on 50th and the Freeway in West DSM now also.

I agree. I can never master it at home like I'd like to. Usually the crust is what I am missing. I want a very good crust recipe that is airy to a point. In the past, I have used frozen bread dough which works pretty well. Have to make sure you give it time to sit in the fridge, though.

I'd like a homade wheat crust made with yeast and infused with something like tomato or jalapeno.

Try bread flour.These numbers are all ballpark. Let it sit for a minimum of 4 hours. All day or overnight even better.

4 cups of flour
1 1/2 cups of warm water 110 degrees
2 tablespoons yeast
teaspoon or two of sugar
tablespoon of olive oil

There used to be this place in West Des Moines several years ago on grand called Corso's. Damn that was simple and good pizza. His son was an Olympic wrestler if I remember right.

Been too long since I had pizza in IC, but Pagliai's is awesome. I was always a fan of Happy Joe's "Special", which was Canadian Bacon & Sauerkraut. I late-night/drunk order for a Paul Revere's Wedgie is never a bad thing. Used to love The Green Pepper in Coralville, Godfather's dine-in and Felix & Oscar's "off the truck".

In all of history but not in Chicago? Pal Joey's in West Chicago, Illinois, Alfano's in Geneva, Illinois. Chicago proper? They're all good, be it Uno/Due, Gino's East, Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, etc.

For the Chicago vs. New York argument, my answer is, "Yes!" And I confess to liking good frozen pizza, too. For the best-ever in that genre, Dina Mia in Northern Wisconsin/Upper Peninsula Michigan. The very best in frozen!

Big fan of Wig and Pen. Pagliai's is a good call. Someone mentioned Big Tomato, which is awesome too. Back in the day I used to like The Other Place, but the last time I was there, the crust tasted like pre-made cardboard. That's the great thing about pizza. it can be found anywhere and you can put anything on it.

Second question - Any homemade pizza cooks out there? I've been making pizza at home for years. It's not an easy process to perfect. Especially if you make your own crust and sauce and like the crust cooked a certain way. I really like grilling it the most.

I cheat on the sauce. I use my meatless tomato sauce, then add fennel, some crushed red pepper flakes, and dried basil & rosemary. I'm not much of a baker type, so I either use a pre-made, or use those elongated tortilla/flatbread things.

I'll jump in on this one.

When I get back to the Waukon area I still love Happy Joes taco pizza. It might be the memories that taste so good, but it's just not a trip home without it.

Out here in Denver I like MOD Pizza, I also like Brixxx wood fired pizza. Both are fresh. I also like BJ's brewpub gluten free sweet pig.

Pizza is like a 5th food group. Seriously, even bad pizza is still good.

Not sure I can say what my favorite pizza is, but one that surprised me, based on the look (not much more than a shack) and name of the restaurant was Mr. Pizza in Rochester, MN. Wife and I read some good reviews when we were in town and decided to give it a try and loved it.

Has anyone tried the Wig & Pen deep dish taco pizza? I have for a long time now wanted to try it. Godfathers taco pizza is damn good.

If I get to have one slice of pizza before I cross-over the Pearly Gates, gimme a thin crust sausage-pepperoni-mushroom at Pagliai's in Johnston, IA
(drops mic)

Out of Iowa-Tobin's in Bloomington, IL. for thin crust. For Chicago stuffed-Edwardo's in Chicago used to be my go to.

In state-out of the way and way underrated is Rod & Cals in Strawberry Point. Thin crust but still with a good chew, loaded with toppings. No need to order extra cheese because they have a healing helping right on top. Very tasty pie. For my money way better than Mabe's in Decorah.

Knoxville has 3. Fast Freddies is carryout only. There is Wackos. Then they just opened a new one, That used to be in Des Moines, Corgiglianos. Had that for the first time, since they just opened July17. That is a good pizza.

When I grew up there, they had one - Jerry's. Initially, it wasn't very good. But, over time it improved into pretty good pizza. Scornavacca's was one of the best in Des Moines. Right now though, it's Pagliai's all the way.