Peyton Mansell Gunning for Hawkeyes Starting QB Job

Hit the weight room, Peyton and get fitted for your reshirt

EDIT: love his confidence too

Last edited:
Luv the attitude and this guy is saying everything correctly. He seems to have his head on correct with the right kind of goals and aspirations. I don't think adjusting from a no huddle spread to a the pro style will be that bad for him. I think going the other way could be difficult for a QB but going this way might actually slow things down for him a bit.

Can't wait to see what he can do. I have not doubt he has every opportunity to come in and compete, but it would be a long shot I think. But, I think he'll be given a chance to prove himself.

I like his attitude. I'm troubled remembering that the last Texas QB we had with his moxie transferred after his freshman year.

And there was a quarterback from Texas who KOK coached that played as a true freshman backup and then led Iowa to a Big Ten championship.

Hard to say what's going to happen. The odds of him starting this season are very low but you never know.

And there was a quarterback from Texas who KOK coached that played as a true freshman backup and then led Iowa to a Big Ten championship.

Hard to say what's going to happen. The odds of him starting this season are very low but you never know.

True.
Personally I like the fact that he is a dual threat. CJB's feet helped Iowa to 12-0. I know we're a pro-style offense and I'm cool with that. But using a QBs natural gifts is a way to keep a defense honest and help Iowa move the ball.

I'm 'slightly' concerned that we're getting/going after so many dual-threat QBs. How many of those have been successful at Iowa since Brad Banks?
Don't get me wrong, I really really hope we land Max Duggan, I just don't know if Iowa's system is actually a great fit for a dual-threat QB.

I'm 'slightly' concerned that we're getting/going after so many dual-threat QBs. How many of those have been successful at Iowa since Brad Banks?
Don't get me wrong, I really really hope we land Max Duggan, I just don't know if Iowa's system is actually a great fit for a dual-threat QB.

I'm hoping the BF-KOK-KF offense does a better job playing to the strengths than Davis' did. It'll never be an offense with a lot of read option but that doesn't mean it can't be mixed in of the QB can move.

Do you guys remember when Shimonek was still in High School and tweeted about competing for the starting job before he even got to Iowa City? Because I remember, and I think about it every day.

Do you guys remember when Shimonek was still in High School and tweeted about competing for the starting job before he even got to Iowa City? Because I remember, and I think about it every day.

Nic came in behind two future NFL QBs in Rudock and Beathard and didn't want to wait. Perhaps Mansell is coming in behind two future NFL QBs but that remains to be seen.

Like the confidence, he seems like the type of qb that kok utilizes very well -- accurate thrower with mobility.

Surprising that the young man thinks Stanzi was the last qb to lead a prominent Iowa team. I suppose he's just sucking up to okeefe.

I like the confidence and positive attitude.

Rob I don't think he's gonna fit. We like guys who expect to redshirt and ride the bench, play special teams for 2 years and then maybe play as a junior when someone gets hurt. Don't need any aspirational types in that locker room.

When I hear his name, I'm not sure if it makes me think of Peyton Manning first or Johnny Manziel first. Maybe he's a mixture of the two, as contrasting as they are. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I hope the combo would be Manning's talent with Manziel's free-wheeling style. His free wheeling style on the field though, not off it.

He may as well throw his hat in there and compete. He's probably the most mobile of the 3 from what I've seen of his highlights. Heck if I know if he'll be ready week 1 but from what I've seen of the other two Iowa wouldn't be doing themselves any favors by dismissing this kid right off the bat. See what he's got in camp and may the best man play. That's all I ask.

Latest posts