Petras

If we have some competency on the O line we'll be able to have a chance. If not, it's gonna be ugly. Petras,Padilla, or our next savior Labas won't matter.

The whole system is predicated upon running the damn ball. When we can't do that, we're awful.

You are exactly correct, sir. I saw in the Rutgers game when the line broke down, Petras did not have any time whatsoever, and was not his fault. He may be taking more heat than should. I think Colby, in particular, has difficulty reading his blocks for pass protection, as I saw on a few occasions not much resistance on that R side. He looked to do better with run blocking. Maybe he excels with run assignments because they are predictable but struggles with some pass blocking with where defenders are lining up at or coming from.

It just seems that R side had some issues on Saturday. This just my internet coach observations. Take it for what it's worth.

Pretty sure they won that Michigan game, so above .500 against what people think are the toughest teams in football (watch dummies try and argue that they weren't worthy of the ranking)

....and if ya take a look at the scores of the losses, looks like it took close to an act of god to beat Iowa at home.
Double check that first one. Some funky dates in there too. Who's running this place?
How do you have the 2016 game vs. Michigan as a loss? Even the most casual fan remembers that one.

Fixed the dates and wins.

Boarding an airplane while posting and flipping tabs on a phone browser. Sorry fellas, I'll refund the money you paid for the stats.

I like this one from Dochterman:

In Iowa's last 6 home games against AP top-5 foes:
2008 vs. 3. Penn State, W 24-23
2010 vs. 5. Michigan State, W 37-6
2016 vs. 2. Michigan, W 14-13
2017 vs. 4. Penn State, L 21-19
2017 vs. 3. Ohio State, W 55-24
2021 vs. 4. Penn State, W 23-20

Pretty sure they won that Michigan game, so above .500 against what people think are the toughest teams in football (watch dummies try and argue that they weren't worthy of the ranking)

....and if ya take a look at the scores of the losses, looks like it took close to an act of god to beat Iowa at home.

Especially look at the dates of those games. Those games are well into the season so are pretty indicative of how good the teams are.

Guffus, I don't disagree with some of your points, but Petras had a 64.7% completion rate on Saturday. He wasn't a "B" or "A" QB, but he showed some improvement, and had a couple of really nice passes. He also has an evolving (nice way to say it) offensive line. He also has receivers who run mediocre routes, fail to get separation, and drop passes.

Make no mistake, Petras is not good, but his improvement in completion percentage per game is:
1. 44%
2. 46.2%
3. 53.8%
4. 64.7%

His QBR tracked similarly. Will he be shut down against Michigan? Probably. Can the line open up a couple of holes now and then and give him more than a second to throw??? My point is that the whole offense has been rather miserable. If they can get to "C" level work, perhaps they stand a chance to win a fair amount. We'll see.

It's a team game and maybe some of you could slow your roll on being so miserable.

No one is saying Petras is great. Literally no one. He does deserve some credit for Saturday, though. If you re-watch the game, you'd see that he really made a few excellent passes. Again, mild improvement and again, no one is saying that Petras is great.

I could give a crap if middle aged dudes on a message board insult people for being positive. HawkeyeNation has some real experts, to be sure, though.

Iowa is 3-1 and should be 4-0. The offense sucks but if they make some improvements they can still win a lot of games.
None of this is on Petras. Not one bit. It's the system and what he is asked to do.

I was shocked (shouldn't have been) to hear KF say at half that the offense was performing well. Therein is the issue. The O and Petras is playing within the confines of what they are dealt from coaches. Maybe there is another CJ out there willing to sacrifice his body for the good of the cause. But that is ugly.

What I am most "upset" about is what KF through Brian is doing to Petras. I know it comes off as negative toward Petras, but somewhere people have to speak truth. The O is bad. The Qb in a bad system looks bad. The game plan Saturday on O was bad. It is sickening to watch. It's not about winning or losing to me. It's about putting a young person (s) in a position to look bad and take grief when it's on nobody else but KF. Therefore to say it's a solid performance is to actually insult. It wasn't. The O outscored a team on O by 1 point. That team hasn't won at home since...when?!

I consider what Petras is going through to be outright abuse physically and mentally. The young man is gutsy for sure. He has no tools to work with and the tools he has just doesn't work for what he is supposed to do. I suspect the main thing KF sees in him is that he will do exactly what he is asked even to his own detriment. Wait and see how ugly this situation gets at the end of the season (potentially) and it's entirely avoidable.

You are exactly correct, sir. I saw in the Rutgers game when the line broke down, Petras did not have any time whatsoever, and was not his fault. He may be taking more heat than should. I think Colby, in particular, has difficulty reading his blocks for pass protection, as I saw on a few occasions not much resistance on that R side. He looked to do better with run blocking. Maybe he excels with run assignments because they are predictable but struggles with some pass blocking with where defenders are lining up at or coming from.

It just seems that R side had some issues on Saturday. This just my internet coach observations. Take it for what it's worth.
I'm hoping they can shore that up a bit, because it's frustrating to see the offense get a big play, and then have a play that goes for - 5yards because an O linemen whiffed on a DLineman. Overandoverandover.

I like this one from Dochterman:

In Iowa's last 6 home games against AP top-5 foes:
2008 vs. 3. Penn State, W 24-23
2010 vs. 5. Michigan State, W 37-6
2016 vs. 2. Michigan, W 14-13
2017 vs. 4. Penn State, L 21-19
2017 vs. 3. Ohio State, W 55-24
2021 vs. 4. Penn State, W 23-20
Take out PSU and those aren't BF coached with HIS players. He highlighted Wadley that game and never really EVER did it again.

I'm hoping they can shore that up a bit, because it's frustrating to see the offense get a big play, and then have a play that goes for - 5yards because an O linemen whiffed on a DLineman. Overandoverandover.
Why would they shore that up against a great team at this point?

None of this is on Petras. Not one bit. It's the system and what he is asked to do.

I was shocked (shouldn't have been) to hear KF say at half that the offense was performing well. Therein is the issue. The O and Petras is playing within the confines of what they are dealt from coaches. Maybe there is another CJ out there willing to sacrifice his body for the good of the cause. But that is ugly.

What I am most "upset" about is what KF through Brian is doing to Petras. I know it comes off as negative toward Petras, but somewhere people have to speak truth. The O is bad. The Qb in a bad system looks bad. The game plan Saturday on O was bad. It is sickening to watch. It's not about winning or losing to me. It's about putting a young person (s) in a position to look bad and take grief when it's on nobody else but KF. Therefore to say it's a solid performance is to actually insult. It wasn't. The O outscored a team on O by 1 point. That team hasn't won at home since...when?!

I consider what Petras is going through to be outright abuse physically and mentally. The young man is gutsy for sure. He has no tools to work with and the tools he has just doesn't work for what he is supposed to do. I suspect the main thing KF sees in him is that he will do exactly what he is asked even to his own detriment. Wait and see how ugly this situation gets at the end of the season (potentially) and it's entirely avoidable.

1) I actually didn't have a problem with the game plan. I mean, what do you want? They got the lead by the defense so that dictated much of how the game was called. I mean they got the running game going, which at the time was said to be against a pretty good defense. Is that a bad thing? Don't you want to see if you can get the running game going? Ya want to use clock and win the TOP and keep their D on the field. Apparently you only want Iowa to pass every down and Petras to have 335 yds plus every game. Iowa doesn't roll like that.

2) Petras being abused physically and mentally???? C'mon Gold. What is he going thru to make you think this? Sometimes I think you just get off your rocker a bit. He's abused????

If wins and losses don't matter to you then your weird view of this program makes a little more sense.

But let's follow up with this since you're take is fucking horrible.

Do you think every coach on Iowa's schedule is putting their QB's in a bad place when they face Iowa defense?

There were some definite whiffs that I saw when re-watching. Some guys not even touched. Just missed assignments or reads.

I get your points even though they are a bit hyperbolic. Do you think KF tells the media negative things about his team? No. He just doesn't. I actually respect that.

I do agree that Iowa QBs tend to tighten up and even devolve in Iowa's system, but that predates Brian. I do find all of your conspiracy theories to be entertaining, though.

You could be right (glass 3/4 empty) that things will get worse, and get ugly. Or you could be wrong. I hope you're wrong. This hasn't been the first time that the fans put dirt over KF's coaching grave.

1) I actually didn't have a problem with the game plan. I mean, what do you want? They got the lead by the defense so that dictated much of how the game was called. I mean they got the running game going, which at the time was said to be against a pretty good defense. Is that a bad thing? Don't you want to see if you can get the running game going? Ya want to use clock and win the TOP and keep their D on the field. Apparently you only want Iowa to pass every down and Petras to have 335 yds plus every game. Iowa doesn't roll like that.

2) Petras being abused physically and mentally???? C'mon Gold. What is he going thru to make you think this? Sometimes I think you just get off your rocker a bit. He's abused????
If you can't see it then you don't. It's there. They could do things to loosen things up. Start with the play calling. Go with the Best RB. Have receivers you can actually hit on Quick passes. Mix things up with a running QB. There are a lot of things. This was arguably the worst program in the Big last 5 years. Why are you "managing" against Rutgers? Why not work on what it going to be needed to actually beat IL, MN, Wisk, and NW this year? That is where season success will be won or lost and it won't be by managing those games.

Don't expect Petras to do 335 per game. That wasn't a genuine comment.

What I want is to give the kid a fighting chance. You took a lot of leaps with those comments. And yes it's abuse.

I get your points even though they are a bit hyperbolic. Do you think KF tells the media negative things about his team? No. He just doesn't. I actually respect that.

I do agree that Iowa QBs tend to tighten up and even devolve in Iowa's system, but that predates Brian. I do find all of your conspiracy theories to be entertaining, though.

You could be right (glass 3/4 empty) that things will get worse, and get ugly. Or you could be wrong. I hope you're wrong. This hasn't been the first time that the fans put dirt over KF's coaching grave.
Conspiracy Really? Point it out. And I expect coaches to be positive, but they also including Ferentz point out room for improvement. His comment was short and direct. "Things are going well. There is nothing to improve on".

Spencer is abused lol - he got the opportunity to start for a top football program that put it's last 3 or 4 starting QB's in the NFL. I'm not sure he'll ever recover.

If you can't see it then you don't. It's there. They could do things to loosen things up. Start with the play calling. Go with the Best RB. Have receivers you can actually hit on Quick passes. Mix things up with a running QB. There are a lot of things. This was arguably the worst program in the Big last 5 years. Why are you "managing" against Rutgers? Why not work on what it going to be needed to actually beat IL, MN, Wisk, and NW this year? That is where season success will be won or lost and it won't be by managing those games.

Don't expect Petras to do 335 per game. That wasn't a genuine comment.

What I want is to give the kid a fighting chance. You took a lot of leaps with those comments. And yes it's abuse.

You make some valid points in your first paragraph. Can't really disagree with evolving the offense with your suggestions.