Peter Jok

Why are we debating what lineup to use down 20?

We found ourselves down by 20 more than once in conference play last year. It's not inconceivable to think there might be a night or two we'd need to make a big comeback.

I get what you are saying Tork, and I'm not down on Ogelsby like some. At the same time Jok brings a complete skill set to the table and Ogs doesn't. Jok has better handles, and can get his shot off anytime he wants. Ogs can't do that. He is a spot up shooter that plays better D. Jok is a much more dynamic player, and that is just easy to see with the eyeballs.

That's all I'm saying. You could give JO 5 years and he will never develop some of the skills that Peter already has. And that's not a dis on JO. They are completely different players and Peter is the kind of player that I want on my team every year.

I'm not denying Jok is a more dynamic offensive player. I just don't think that's what should be put at a premium when you're in a situation that calls for lights-out defense.

We found ourselves down by 20 more than once in conference play last year. It's not inconceivable to think there might be a night or two we'd need to make a big comeback.

No we didn't. The Michigan game was the only game where we were down by 20.

No we didn't. The Michigan game was the only game where we were down by 20.

What about at Columbus?

I remember being down huge and coming back to pull within 5 or so at the end.

Also remember White flipping the student section crap when the Hawks were getting pounded.

Hell, the Hawks were down 23 to Gardner Webb at home last year until Oglesby got fouled shooting a 3 with a few seconds left in the first half. He hit all three free throws and Iowa went into half down 20.

What about at Columbus?

I remember being down huge and coming back to pull within 5 or so at the end.

Also remember White flipping the student section crap when the Hawks were getting pounded.

Hell, the Hawks were down 23 to Gardner Webb at home last year until Oglesby got fouled shooting a 3 with a few seconds left in the first half. He hit all three free throws and Iowa went into half down 20.

He said conference game, we were down to 20 to VaTech too. But you're right about OSU we were down 24, I forgot about that one. I thought the Indiana game would have been the only other one where we were possibly down 20 but the largest lead in that one was 18.

I was at the game last night and i was surprised to see that pete has a pretty beefy set of pipes. I had not picked up on that watching the games on tv. Good to see he has spent some time in the weight room.

I contrast his physique with Devyn's skinny frame when he was a frosh. Pete is clearly stronger and thicker.

That drop pass to Aaron White by Pete on that end to end drive was a thing of beauty. He really threaded the needle on that pass, with a subtle little bounce pass....great hands by Whitey to catch it clean and finish also. Fun BB!

I'm not denying Jok is a more dynamic offensive player. I just don't think that's what should be put at a premium when you're in a situation that calls for lights-out defense.

Down 20 defense has failed, at that point there needs to be a lineup that can stop some bleeding on defense, but be a better scoring unit. Iowa's problem when they got down last year was because they couldn't hit a basket, not because they couldn't defend.

Yes, they did only get down by 20 once in conference play at Michigan, remember it clearly, was there with my family and heckled by them during the game...fun times.

He said conference game, we were down to 20 to VaTech too. But you're right about OSU we were down 24, I forgot about that one. I thought the Indiana game would have been the only other one where we were possibly down 20 but the largest lead in that one was 18.

The general argument still applies in a game like that, though. Any game where we're down big, we obviously need some offense, but you can't play little to no defense for the sake of scoring. If you do that, all you're doing is trading baskets.

Obviously, any lineup we throw out here in this thread wouldn't play for the duration of a 15-20 point comeback. You're not coming back from a deficit like that with White on the bench the whole time. But to get that kind of a run started, you need to get multiple stops with baskets at the other end. I don't think a lineup with Jok, McCabe and Uthoff could do that. Those guys would all have a role to play during a comeback, but trying to start one with those guys on defense would be a dubious proposition, at best.

The general argument still applies in a game like that, though. Any game where we're down big, we obviously need some offense, but you can't play little to no defense for the sake of scoring. If you do that, all you're doing is trading baskets.

Obviously, any lineup we throw out here in this thread wouldn't play for the duration of a 15-20 point comeback. You're not coming back from a deficit like that with White on the bench the whole time. But to get that kind of a run started, you need to get multiple stops with baskets at the other end. I don't think a lineup with Jok, McCabe and Uthoff could do that. Those guys would all have a role to play during a comeback, but trying to start one with those guys on defense would be a dubious proposition, at best.

We did outscore Villanova by 14 over a 4:08 stretch in the first half with those guys on the floor together.

We did outscore Villanova by 14 over a 4:08 stretch in the first half with those guys on the floor together.

Those guys also spent a lot of time (usually 2 at a time) on the floor while we blew a 15-point lead in that game.

Jok has a real shot and has the right coach that will give him a great chance to be successful, I wish some of his aggressiveness to shoot would rub off on Utoff.

And surehanded handling of the ball plus very good passing ability.....

That's all well and good, and I agree. But he doesn't get it right now, so I would absolutely go with JO over Jok if we were down by 20 and looking to get back in the game.

Didn't realize this thread was about Jok vs OGs.

My comment was towards the OPs first comment about Jok's athletic ability, etc.

I think he's pretty darned athletic and is flat-out baller.

Now if we want to talk Jok vs OGs.....I think of OGs as a moderate step up from Bawinkel. DB was clearly a one-dimensional player who ran from corner to corner waiting for his 3-point attempt. OGs didn't run point, didn't rebound a whole lot, but did play defense.

And let's not forget, despite Fran's repeated public support, OGs wasn't all that and a bag of chips when he employed his supposed super weapon....the 3. ZM has proven he can drain 3's with some regular consistency.

As far as OGs' 3's this year, I truly do hope his fortunes change.

Really likeing what we are seeing from Jok. But I Always temper my opinion of Fr. Until we see them play in the BT

This is a quote from Andre Iguodala about Mark Jackson's handling of Klay Thompson

I can look at a player and I can see where his confidence is coming from," Iguodala said. "Especially watching Klay play a lot last year, he would shoot some of the wildest shots I've ever seen. It became like second nature to him since he was making them. And as a student of the game, I was like, 'Yo, that's coach. That's all coach.' People don't see that. They're like, 'This guy's a great shooter.' Yeah, he is a great shooter, one of the best I've ever seen. But I've seen some pretty talented shooters who haven't had the chance to show how good they are because they're so restrained, so put in a box."

I think that applies to how Fran has been handling Jok so far in his career too. I think Fran has tried to get Josh to have the same mentality throughout his career, but Oglesby has never had the confidence to fire away like Jok does.

Latest posts