Perception and reality

Fair analysis on the basketball side of things. I also agreed that as long as the status quo continues with football program we are where we are. It wouldn’t bother me however if we get beat by Ohio State in the championship game every other year as at least there is always hope for an upset. There is no team in our own division that we shouldn’t be winning out over at the very minimum of once every fourth season. There just isn’t an excuse for that. Big bad Wisconsin? Please??? Give me a break.

Wisconsin is a way bigger state with only one school. Same with Minnesota. Illinois is potentially a sleeping giant. Bielema worries me. Northwestern has one of the best coaches in the country. The division is not good and if we had about 8 games to get ready for it I think we would win it once every 3 or 4 years, but as long as Ferentz has to play games in September and October, I ain't gonna count on it.

Talking about Iowa competing at a national level. I support what you state above. Put this into perspective.

Iowa hasn't had like a Sweet 16 bid since the 1987-1988 team, like 33-34 years! They've only won or shared winning the conference since 1979, 42 years! You know how many Purdue has in that time span, 10! Wisconsin 5.

Dana Altman has like 5 or 6 Sweet 16 bids in his 11 year span at Oregon, AT OREGON!! I won't even mention Gonzaga's success and rise as a mid major to perennial contender.

Of the original BIG 10 teams (not the 4 added over the last years), pretty much Iowa and Northwestern are setting the lower bar (and I mean by far) as far as winning anything in basketball in the modern era, and I'm talking 1980's and forward.
Above motivated me to re-look at Iowa's history in basketball, and about the only thing one can say is that at best we are competitive at times, but it has been a very long time since we have had a realistic shot at a first place finish or serious tournament consideration. This year had the "potential" to be the exception, and basically our flaws manifested and it was the same old..............so the reality is that we can hope for a "mid-major" type run in the tourney, but it isn't going to happen because we are simply blessed with an abundance of talent. It is who we are and all we will be for some time.

Sad thing is that it has been so long since Iowa has had a meaningful run that it really takes the luster out of the NCAA tourney in that I could really care less for the resurgence of left-coast basketball, and now the sports world becomes very boring until football starts. I am sure I will watch a few more games that I could manufacture some interest in, I am still hopeful that Michigan at least represents the conference well, I'd rather they were the B10 representative than Illinois for example, but that's just a personal bias.

Post "early exit" blues I guess. Well, that's why we have beer I suppose.

Sad thing is that it has been so long since Iowa has had a meaningful run that it really takes the luster out of the NCAA tourney in that I could really care less for the resurgence of left-coast basketball, and now the sports world becomes very boring until football starts. I am sure I will watch a few more games that I could manufacture some interest in, I am still hopeful that Michigan at least represents the conference well, I'd rather they were the B10 representative than Illinois for example, but that's just a personal bias.

Post "early exit" blues I guess. Well, that's why we have beer I suppose.

I'll be interested in Loyola and Creighton.

This could have been a spring board year for Iowa for relevance. Had the NPOY in the tournament along with a veteran and experienced cast. Not to be.

Rankings are rankings, projections, opinions based on observation. (and a great way to get clicks, drive traffic and create buzz).

The games are won/lost on the court/field/mat. That's really all that matters in the end.

Rankings are rankings, projections, opinions based on observation. (and a great way to get clicks, drive traffic and create buzz).

The games are won/lost on the court/field/mat. That's really all that matters in the end.
Absolutely, can you imagine the embarrassment of the conference if Michigan had lost yesterday? Wow, just shows those know it all’s don’t know much more then some of the fans out here do when speculating on teams and picking brackets. Some seven year old who hardly follows basketball probably has a bracket out here that is more correct then those ying yangs that are getting millions of dollars to run their mouths on tv, lol.

I'll be interested in Loyola and Creighton.

This could have been a spring board year for Iowa for relevance. Had the NPOY in the tournament along with a veteran and experienced cast. Not to be.
Forgot all about Sister Jean and her team- going to have to go to confession for that oversight!

Forgot all about Sister Jean and her team- going to have to go to confession for that oversight!
Maybe she should be in the booth, lol. No not that booth, the tv booth with the announcers.

I spent so much time as a Catholic in the other booth that they put my name at the front of the door. I usually ordered food from there and had it delivered, lol. I spent hours in there. They would have to give the priest a rest break from time to time, lol.

Maybe she should be in the booth, lol. No not that booth, the tv booth with the announcers.

I spent so much time as a Catholic in the other booth that they put my name at the front of the door. I usually ordered food from there and had it delivered, lol. I spent hours in there. They would have to give the priest a rest break from time to time, lol.

Not a bad take, but I contend this team make up can't collectively shoot to save their lives. Joe W would help some if he comes back. And, these players are just 1 year older and will still get run off the court by a team like Oregon, Gonzaga, Illinois, (typical MSU) etc again.

Also going to be tough when we have to face teams where the majority of the team decided to come back because of the covid year.

Fran needs to hit the transfer portal and find himself a stud guard or two and probably another big. Start working on this today.
Well Weiskamp coming back is huge...just huge. It would give you two great shooters to guard...and if you remember...before he got hurt...CJ was crafty going to the hole...with floaters and runners. Weiskamp has proven he can take it to the hole and finish. Those are two guys you can build around.

Certainly...next year is really dependent on Weiskamp coming back...but Nunge can hold his own with any center coming back in the B10. He played really good defense...and protected the rim. You are right...next year could have a couple of really rough outings if we don't shoot it well. That being said...If you put Weiskamp Frederick, Nunge, Murray, PMac, Joe T, Ulis, or Perkins...you are a much better defensive team...our defense could keep us in games.

PMAC, Ulis, the Murrays, and Perkins need to take it up a notch and show good improvement. I think Fran develops players well...so that is a proven thing.

There are some really interesting outcomes that could happen. Murray, if he can improve the three ball...to over 40%...could be a 16-17 point scorer night in and night out. He's 6'9 or whatever and he can take you off the dribble...and with 10 more pounds of muscle...he could be really a go to scorer. Then there is Patrick. To me...here is a guy that is already 6'9" and has shown a scorers mentality around the basket. He can do so many things...sees the floor...dishes...has a good handle. I think his upside is huge. Did you see him run yesterday...he beat Oregon down the floor. These two guys are the X Factor next year. It could be really interesting...as you will have multiple guys to post up.

Are you really Rodney Dangerfield?

Well Weiskamp coming back is huge...just huge. It would give you two great shooters to guard...and if you remember...before he got hurt...CJ was crafty going to the hole...with floaters and runners. Weiskamp has proven he can take it to the hole and finish. Those are two guys you can build around.

Certainly...next year is really dependent on Weiskamp coming back...but Nunge can hold his own with any center coming back in the B10. He played really good defense...and protected the rim. You are right...next year could have a couple of really rough outings if we don't shoot it well. That being said...If you put Weiskamp Frederick, Nunge, Murray, PMac, Joe T, Ulis, or Perkins...you are a much better defensive team...our defense could keep us in games.

PMAC, Ulis, the Murrays, and Perkins need to take it up a notch and show good improvement. I think Fran develops players well...so that is a proven thing.

There are some really interesting outcomes that could happen. Murray, if he can improve the three ball...to over 40%...could be a 16-17 point scorer night in and night out. He's 6'9 or whatever and he can take you off the dribble...and with 10 more pounds of muscle...he could be really a go to scorer. Then there is Patrick. To me...here is a guy that is already 6'9" and has shown a scorers mentality around the basket. He can do so many things...sees the floor...dishes...has a good handle. I think his upside is huge. Did you see him run yesterday...he beat Oregon down the floor. These two guys are the X Factor next year. It could be really interesting...as you will have multiple guys to post up.
Good points. I think if Joe comes back Iowa can contend for a 8-11 seed. Otherwise, Top 4 seed in the NIT. But, if Fran lands some pieces in the transfer portal, that could also boost things up.

Moving forward, Fran, at minimum needs to keep this program mostly NCAA tournament worthy with the down year here and there.

I personally hope Loyola loses next round.

Sister Jean was a fun story three years ago. Now its like hearing a one line joke over and over. There will be at least fifty cutaway of her in their next game.

But several media outlets made a big deal of how she lead the team in prayer before Illinois. This is getting dangerously close to the obnoxious level now. Sister Jean's intervention, divine or not, will have no bearing on whether or not Loyola wins. She does not play or coach. But some media are getting pretty close to suggesting this.

As for Iowa, now that I've had 24 hours to digest I can see why so many are frustrated. Anyone younger than 35 probably has no recollection of the last time we got out of the NCAA first weekend. You have to be well into your forties to remember the 1987 season, in your fifties to remember the 1980 Final Four season.

I would estimate that two thirds of the people who post here are not old enough to remember 1980.

Well, I guess Lunardi was right ;). My perception is we have 2 kids, Garza and Weiskamp, that know what to do with the ball when it comes to scoring. Then we have a couple of guys that are capable, but need to have defenders at least 10 feet from them so they can shoot, and then we have the guys that dribble too much and/or looking to pass inside to the star of the team. Cmac has no business being on the court imo. Teams beg him to shoot, but he rarely does. JT flies around and I've seen him do some tremendous things, but he's terribly inconsistent. We've seen flashes by Pmac and murray, so I'm optimistic. I feel we needed more TPerk and Uhlis, but the upperclassmen loyalty shown by fmac tells me, "kid, wait in line". There's no tomorrow in this tournament. There's no do-overs. You either bring it or you leave it the car with your keys. Frans probation period is way the F over. But, we're fortunate enough to have him locked in for a few more years of 18-12 records, or an occasional 22-9 record, but nonetheless a record indicative of " being on the bubble". But hey, our kids graduate and will be forever in our hearts. That's the reality I live with and it's also the tragedy we try and reconcile.
Wait a sec... you mean Fran is telling kids they need to wait in line to get playing time? So JoeW didn't start when he was a freshman? Or Luka? Or JBo? Or Tyler Cook? Or Aaron White? Or Mike Gessel? Or Adam Woodbury?.... the list goes on and on.

I personally hope Loyola loses next round.

Sister Jean was a fun story three years ago. Now its like hearing a one line joke over and over. There will be at least fifty cutaway of her in their next game.

But several media outlets made a big deal of how she lead the team in prayer before Illinois. This is getting dangerously close to the obnoxious level now. Sister Jean's intervention, divine or not, will have no bearing on whether or not Loyola wins. She does not play or coach. But some media are getting pretty close to suggesting this.

As for Iowa, now that I've had 24 hours to digest I can see why so many are frustrated. Anyone younger than 35 probably has no recollection of the last time we got out of the NCAA first weekend. You have to be well into your forties to remember the 1987 season, in your fifties to remember the 1980 Final Four season.

I would estimate that two thirds of the people who post here are not old enough to remember 1980.
Totally agree with your assumptions. I agree with your age assessment analysis. I’ve sensed a lot of youth on here, just by some of the attitudes expressed. There’s nothing wrong with some of their perspectives expressed and many are fairly normal. Funny how people’s perspectives change based on how long they have been standing on this earth.

As a teen I will never forget the excitement of watching Iowa advance to a final four. We beat some of the very best blue blood programs to get there. If only Ronnie Lester hadn’t gotten injured we likely would be reflecting back on a National Championship rather than just a final four.