Peeps are saying that Joe T is better than advertised

I'm not downplaying CJF. I'm clearing up speculation, which I believe both times came from N8theGr8, who said he is above average in quickness (I don't even know one would measure that) and the reason Moss left was because of his improvement.

I happen to like CJF as I do JT. I think they're going to be good players.

So because Moss improved he wanted to play
1. I never suggested Moss left because of anything to do with CJF.

2. If you’ve spent any time listening to Fran over the last decade, he has a tendency for hyperbole when it comes to his players. I enjoy it. It beats being thrown under the bus by Alford. But it also needs to be kept in context.

I’m excited for this basketball season as I am for most. Wieskamp is a stud.

I’m trying to keep a perspective on my expectations for players that have never played in a college game. I think when expectations are overblown, they create issues with players meeting them. Then fans get mad. It can be a vicious cycle.

See: Tyler Cook and Isaiah Moss.

I do have some insight into these players from seeing them practice and hearing from people that watch them regularly whose opinions I respect.

I’m done. I’ve said my piece.

Wisdom often comes with age and exuberance with youth.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the new players gel with the older players. I definitely sense some exuberance on the forum. Even five star recruits struggle their freshman season so I anticipate some rough patches for most of our new players, none of which are five stars. I wish them all the best!

It’s going to be interesting to see how the new players gel with the older players. I definitely sense some exuberance on the forum. Even five star recruits struggle their freshman season so I anticipate some rough patches for most of our new players, none of which are five stars. I wish them all the best!

I don't worry as much about freshmen as most. I'd argue that most players who turn out to be good are pretty good as freshmen already. Guys like Marble and Jok improved to all big 10 players and per pretty inproductive as freshmen. Most other players under Fran were already decent players as freshmen or never became one.

I think we have some new players who want to be leaders, vocally and by actions, and also some new player who want to play defense. I think both of those will be refreshing for the program.

For me the question will be how much man to man can this team play effectively. Our zone gives up a ton of looks and has plenty of holes (just my opinion), but we had lineups that couldn't play man at all last year. I think we'll have some lineups that we'll play when we want to man up, and others we can play against poor shooting teams.

Wait and see. That is all you can do with about half this roster. I know what Iowa needs to get from these guys, but I can’t even begin to speculate how this plays out. I need to see these dudes on the court and early.

I think we have some new players who want to be leaders, vocally and by actions, and also some new player who want to play defense. I think both of those will be refreshing for the program.

It will be greatly appreciated.

Assuming that's true, can he stay out of foul trouble?
That's a question for many players, teams were always trying to get JBO in foul trouble and often did. Seems a player that can stay in front of his defensive assignment has a better chance to stay out of foul trouble than a guy who's always chasing, just my opinion.

That's a question for many players, teams were always trying to get JBO in foul trouble and often did. Seems a player that can stay in front of his defensive assignment has a better chance to stay out of foul trouble than a guy who's always chasing, just my opinion.
No question ... and when a guard gets beat and one of your bigs has to step in to stop/cover a quicker guy that also leads to fouls on the bigs.

No question ... and when a guard gets beat and one of your bigs has to step in to stop/cover a quicker guy that also leads to fouls on the bigs.

Many on here don't understand that. The D starts at the point/top. With slow steps there, regardless of passing and shooting skills, the D is always a step behind and reacting rather than dictating.

Wait and see. That is all you can do with about half this roster. I know what Iowa needs to get from these guys, but I can’t even begin to speculate how this plays out. I need to see these dudes on the court and early.

I’m excited to see Garza and Kriener in the post. I think those 2 take a major step forward

I’m excited to see Garza and Kriener in the post. I think those 2 take a major step forward
The thing I’m worried about with Garza is rebounding. 4.5/game is not good for your starting Center. Hoping part of it was Cook taking the boards for himself. But this is one reason I’m not terribly excited about 4-guard lineup theories with Garza at Center for this team.

Here a subject that has yet to be addressed as we assess our personnel losses and the uncertainty of those who sat out last year.

Free throw shooting. Who's going to do it?

Not having J Bo in there at the line late in close games is going to have a huge impact. Moss was solid at the line as well. Among our returners Garza, Wiescamp and Connor are our best foul shooters but none can be considered automatic and Garza is frequently fighting foul trouble himself late in games. The jury will be out on the newcomers until they have the proverbial trial by fire.

One or two players are going to have to step up in this area. But the opportunity is there.

Here a subject that has yet to be addressed as we assess our personnel losses and the uncertainty of those who sat out last year.

Not having J Bo in there at the line late in close games is going to have a huge impact. Moss was solid at the line as well. Among our returners Garza, Wiescamp and Connor are our best foul shooters but none can be considered automatic and Garza is frequently fighting foul trouble himself late in games. The jury will be out on the newcomers until they have the proverbial trial by fire.

One or two players are going to have to step up in this area. But the opportunity is there.

Really good point. CJ might be the guy as he shot 85% from the stripe in high school. We should have a lot of guys who shoot 70-85% but no almost-automatic guy. Loved TC, but he was a liability late in games when he got fouled so, in that sense, it will help that he won't be here.

Edit

Jordan shot over 87% and that level of accuracy and composure will certainly be missed, however the next three 3 point artists are:

Luka: Over 80%
JoeW: Over 76%
Connor:Over 75%

That is not too shabby and hopefully will improve. One of the main aspects I will miss is the strategy of Jordan and Connor handling the ball with a lead the last 2 minutes of the game they would dribble around until the clock was almost out and Jordan with the ball.....

The opponent Had to foul him because the odds of him making a three point basket were a risk they might not want to take, instead fouling someone who probably was close to 99% in the last 2 minutes.....

Depends on everyone else, other than Luka, JoeW and ConnorMac to be at least 70% so that we can continue to make about 20 free throws per game.....

:cool:

Last edited:

I'm guessing the guy that gets fouled.

Ok, wise cracks aside. The idea of having one guy designated to shoot FTs is flawed. You need a few guys that are dependable. I think we have enough good shooters on this club to handle it in JBo's absence.

The FT % thing isn't a huge concern in my eyes because Cook was never a great FT shooter and he was often in the game late. Pemsl hasn't been a good FT shooter in the past. But he is probably the weakest FT shooter on the team. I expect to see Nunge Kriener or Garza in as our post players at the end of games.

Having good FT shooters at guard is important. I think we will miss JBos game changing 3PT shooting more than his FT shooting.

There are so many unknowns on this team. That makes me excited for the start of the year. With the schedule we have this year, the new players need to be ready to go quick or it could be a rough year.

The FT % thing isn't a huge concern in my eyes because Cook was never a great FT shooter and he was often in the game late. Pemsl hasn't been a good FT shooter in the past. But he is probably the weakest FT shooter on the team. I expect to see Nunge Kriener or Garza in as our post players at the end of games.

Having good FT shooters at guard is important. I think we will miss JBos game changing 3PT shooting more than his FT shooting.

There are so many unknowns on this team. That makes me excited for the start of the year. With the schedule we have this year, the new players need to be ready to go quick or it could be a rough year.
It is much easier to quantify how much a player helps or hurts the team results when taking a look at FT%, assists, 3PT FG, etc. than to evaluate how much a player helps or hurts on the defensive end, where half of the game is normally played. I am thinking Iowa will be more difficult to play against this year, and will be upgraded in defensive accountability, effort, and awareness. Helping defense, working through pick and rolls, staying in front of the player with the ball, having your heart in it, forcing the opponents to do what they don't like doing all pays off in gold in terms of team results. Iowa seems to have been an easy team to play against too long. Time to change the course of the ship.

Latest posts