Pearl comments on Iowa

Re: Pearle comments on Iowa

Is it just me or did it seem he struggled for the right words and had a ****-eating grin on his face the whole time? Very interesting interview....

That wasn't just you. He was picking his words VERY CAREFULLY. But he didn't say no. He didn't say no!

Like Chris Matthews said about Obama, I've got shivers going up and down my leg.

Wheeee-hooooooo!

basically he said "I am staying in Tennessee"

No, he didn't say that. Doubt he would come, but he didn't discuss his feelings about taking the job, one way or the other. He wasn't asked if he would consider the job. And if he was asked, he would've given a stock answer about how he is Tennessee's coach and likes it where he's at.

Holy smokes. Either Peral really is interested or he is trying to drag a ton of money out of UT! I got chills and my eyes watered up a bit. Just as I was about to get off the computer for awhile I can't now, I'm pumped up.

Said it's a great place, he has a lot of friends still in Iowa City (including Mr. Davis) and that he wouldn't be where he is today without Iowa.

Said it's a great job, need to keep improving facilities as the rest of the Big Ten does, have the right formula in football and need to adapt that in basketball. Iowa has great fans.

That in a nutshell is what he said.

Loose transcription:

Q: "Coach it's been 18 years . . . ."

A: "Let's put it this way: that was before the Coralville Mall came in there, and it's back when all there was was the Coralville strip . . . . . I mean once you're a Hawkeye you're always a Hawkeye . . . great, great, great memories, still have some great friends there. I know Tom still lives there and I still stay in touch with Tom, so it's been . . . .but I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Iowa. Iowa, you know, played a huge role, and Tom Davis in building my career."

Q: "They've got a coaching opening there right now, what do you see with what's going on at Iowa?"

A: "Just look what they're doing with football, look what Kirk's done, look what Hayden did, and they managed to keep it going there. So just continue to, you know, plug it into that formula. And the formula is they've got great, great fans, um, and obviously they've got to continue to improve facilities as the rest of the Big Ten grows, keep recruiting better and better players, and . . ."

Q: "Do you think that's an attractive job?"

A: " Oh, it's a very attractive job nationally, it's a great job, and Iowa City is a phenomenal community. The talent pool in the rest of the Big Ten has increased . . ."

/interrupted and has to leave questioner (just while he seemed about to ask the "big" question)

People, the entire interview was extremely non-committal. He said what he believed, that Iowa is a great school, he's a Hawkeye at heart and UofI/Tom Davis were instrumental in helping build his career. None of this is really new information.

the interviewer said coach Iowa, Its been 18 years..

Pearls reply;" oh man the coral-ridge mall wasn't there...it was just the coralville strip"

Its a great school..once you are a hawkeye always a hawkeye..

I kow tom still lives there

Look what they have done with football...

Its a great conference....look at the talent pool the conference has

They need to improve the facilities er I mean continue improving the facilites.

I Hawkoz for one am absolutely STUNNED at the twinkle in his eye and the sentimental tone to his voice and the absolute Absence of him saying anything like "im not going there etc.etc

Loves Iowa, once a hawks always a hawk, still contacts Mr. Davis...loves what Kirk has done and they need to plug into that, keep up facility wise, great, great job and Iowa City is a great community....lots to make the Pearl wanters salivate...but no real nugget to say he is coming...but he didn't say I have no interest....either.

Loose transcription:

Q: "Coach it's been 18 years . . . ."

A: "Let's put it this way: that was before the Coralville Mall came in there, and it's back when all there was was the Coralville strip . . . . . I mean once you're a Hawkeye you're always a Hawkeye . . . great, great, great memories, still have some great friends there. I know Tom still lives there and I still stay in touch with Tom, so it's been . . . .but I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Iowa. Iowa, you know, played a huge role, and Tom Davis in building my career."

Q: "They've got a coaching opening there right now, what do you see with what's going on at Iowa?"

A: "Just look what they're doing with football, look what Kirk's done, look what Hayden did, and they managed to keep it going there. So just continue to, you know, plug it into that formula. And the formula is they've got great, great fans, um, and obviously they've got to continue to improve facilities as the rest of the Big Ten grows, keep recruiting better and better players, and . . ."

Q: "Do you think that's an attractive job?"

A: " Oh, it's a very attractive job nationally, it's a great job, and Iowa City is a phenomenal community. The talent pool in the rest of the Big Ten has increased . . ."

/interrupted and has to leave questioner (just while he seemed about to ask the "big" question)
After reading this i feel he loves iowa, but loves tenn a bit more. Just kind words, although if this gets out it could help contacting other bigger named coaches, they would be thinking "hey if bruce thinks its a good job maybe i should look into it..."

Besides the main interviewer there was another person out of camera view who asked him if it were an attractive job. He without hesitation said oh its a VERY attactive JOB

I don't think he struggled with his words at all. He seemed entirely relaxed and at ease--far too much at ease for a guy who's wearing another school's colors, about to coach that team in the Sweet Sixteen, and thinking about coming to Iowa. A guy would have to have big bocci balls to stand there and pull that off.

I think Bruce is all for Steve Forbes getting the job, I'd bet all of Spanky's money that he's put in a good word for Forbes, and he has no thought at all of coming here. It's too bad, because it would be the perfect fit, but it ain't gonna happen.

He is a great guy though, and as he said once a Hawkeye always a Hawkeye. I will root for him as long as they're in the tournament.

EDIT: After reading some of the comments above, I have to say you guys are nuts. Nothing in that inteview should give anyone hope that Pearl might come to Iowa. Nothing. Might as well accept that now and save yourself the further angst. I would love to give all of you some serious odds against that happening and take your money. But I wouldn't trust you lugs to pay up in any event. ;)

Last edited:
I received the following tweet from Keeler. Apparently our hopes have been dashed
This is a question that Pearl was asked regarding the Iowa job.

I'm here at Tennessee and I’m going to be here at Tennessee,†Pearl, the Volunteers men’s basketball coach and former Iowa assistant, told reporters today at Edward Jones Dome when asked about the vacant Hawkeye head coaching position. “I’m grateful to be at Tennessee and I’m blessed to be at Tennessee.†And his reaction to the fact that his name keeps coming up every time the Iowa job opens?“Thank you to the fans in Iowa City for remembering what Tom Davis did,â€* Pearl said extending a nod to his former mentor, who left Iowa City more than a decade ago. “It’s a very special place, there’s no question about it.†One of Pearl’s top assistants agrees.

Latest posts