Paul Chryst out at Wisconsin.

Maybe not. Moves like this within the season are usually pretty calculated by a program.

Why do you think it's stupid? Curious on your thoughts.
They are about to take the Nebraska slide. They are going to regret this.

The shadow of Barry Alvarez still hangs over that program, and will for a long time.

The shadow of Barry Alvarez still hangs over that program, and will for a long time.

They are counting on Jim Leonhard being the real deal. Not much different than us counting on Levar Woods.

They are counting on Jim Leonhard being the real deal. Not much different than us counting on Levar Woods.

Yea, I don't think it's quite like the "Nebraska Slide" like Northside Hawk is stating. Not every program is a hot mess. The question is still out there though, but, I don't think we should presume they have no idea what they are doing. They've proven to make correct decisions in football and basketball for about 30 yrs.

"The shadow of Barry Alverez still hangs over the program"? They built a statue out of that guy. Are you not old enought to know where the program was before Alverez? What are you talking about?

This news inevitably led me and I’m sure many others to reflect on Iowa and it’s unchanging ways. I’ve come to believe there’s really no credible leadership in the athletic department. Kirk calls the shots. I think we all know that. So my question now is when will Gary retire? probably when Kirk lets him.

"The shadow of Barry Alverez still hangs over the program"? They built a statue out of that guy. Are you not old enought to know where the program was before Alverez? What are you talking about?
I've posted on here probably fifty times that Alvarez saved Wisconsin athletics, gone into great detail about the pre Barry relation between the city and the university and the athletic department.

What he did in Madison to bring an entire athletic department back from the dead makes Haydens rebuilding job look like child's play.

At least Iowa had mens basketball and wrestling going strong when Hayden arrived. Wisconsin on the other hand hand cut seven sports when Barry was hired

Last edited:
Yea, I don't think it's quite like the "Nebraska Slide" like Northside Hawk is stating. Not every program is a hot mess. The question is still out there though, but, I don't think we should presume they have no idea what they are doing. They've proven to make correct decisions in football and basketball for about 30 yrs.
Time will tell. And the jury is still out on Greg Gard as well. They're definitely no blue blood.

They just bounced a .720 winning percentage coach because he wasn't Saint Barry. If this doesn't sound like Bo Pellini era Nebraska trying to relive the Osborne days I don't know what does.

Time will tell. And the jury is still out on Greg Gard as well. They're definitely no blue blood.

They just bounced a .720 winning percentage coach because he wasn't Saint Barry. If this doesn't sound like Bo Pellini era Nebraska trying to relive the Osborne days I don't know what does.

Valid points. Yea, I'm not sure about Gard and haven't been sold on him either. They could be regressing to a period of mediocrity.

This news inevitably led me and I’m sure many others to reflect on Iowa and it’s unchanging ways. I’ve come to believe there’s really no credible leadership in the athletic department. Kirk calls the shots. I think we all know that. So my question now is when will Gary retire? probably when Kirk lets him.
Sorry, but I don’t buy that assumption for one minute.

They bounved him because the DCs have carried that program. Why pay the head coach when the DC is responsible for any success?

They bounved him because the DCs have carried that program. Why pay the head coach when the DC is responsible for any success?
Not when Bert was there. Bielema racked up pinball type numbers there for a couple years when Chryst was his OC. They once piled up 70 on Nebraska in the conference championship game back when it was Leaders and Legends.

They have the same illusory defense as Iowa. Opposition knows it won't take much to win, the offense tries to control the ball, the defense is good but its statistically driven by the overall philosophy, weather and opponents. Wisconsin's vaunted defense would give up 42 to Alabama.

Look at the salaries that professional sport players are getting. It is absolutely ridiculous at this point. Nobody needs to make 35 million dollar. Just absolutely nuts.

.................and when you point out the needs this world has, it's shocking and sad.

Meh, whatever. I haven't been to a pro sports game in 5 years and I don't have cable so I ain't paying for it. YouTubeTV is roughly $800 a year and most of that goes to pay carriage fees for sports. If you don't like pro sports salaries just cut the cord and quit watching.

Wisconsin has gotten insanely lucky on all major coaching hires for like 30 freaking years. They're due to miss eventually.

The most staggering thing is how badly they got beaten on the lines on Saturday. They sure didn't look like Wisconsin, but all that said, if I were them I'd be content rolling with the punches and just try to get that line good again. If you get that line good, get a decent TE and then get lucky with another Russell Wilson type transfer that team would be set for a helluva run. You can't really philosophically change what you do if you are Wisconsin because Madison is so far north and if you ain't got lines and a run game, your goose is cooked in November.
Been Iowa's slow decline, too. OL has been subpar for at least 4 years and, in KF's dogma, it's the bedrock of success, so ...

Been Iowa's slow decline, too. OL has been subpar for at least 4 years and, in KF's dogma, it's the bedrock of success, so ...

I can't help but wonder if that is a result of a combination of population declining up north and football participation rates tanking. Nebraska has the same issue. They used to be able to just find a handful of big dudes every year and then figure out who among them could block and who could pull and they were all set with a good line. They have looked terrible on the line bince Pelini left. Maybe the new model will be to let the Toledos and Akrons of the world develop kids for two years and then pick over the portal.